DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Compilations and Other Miscellany discussion
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:09 am 

awesome wrote:
Anybody have any good compilation recs? I got all these freeleech tokens on what that I need to burn up

i'll post some up tomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 am 

Don't necessarily need uploads, just names

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 am 

i'll try and divide it into categories so it isn't too much of a clusterfuck and maybe you can use it as a reference point later?

western world + english stuff

Flying Nun 25th Anniversary Boxset: probably my favourite pop/rock boxset of all time + a strong case for why Flying Nun is the best record label of all time. indie/garage/lo-fi/jangle brilliance that has never been equalled.

Xpressway Pile=Up: Flying Nun's twisted sister. For a label that lasted a year, this is mindboggling. After this sunk in, there was no looking back for me. Xpressway Pile=Up is the reason i think NZ is the holy grail for late 80's lo-fi, distorted and fucked up pop music. another 5 star comp, easy.

Victrola Favorites: Artifacts From Bygone Days: sepia toned recordings for times long forgotten. literally like stepping into a time machine. some of the genres present here - Traditional Folk Music, Old-Time
Ranchera, African, Vocal Jazz, Gospel, Piphat, Persian Classical Music, South Asian, Hawaiian, Chinese Opera, Hyang-ak, Dixieland, Spoken Word, Gagaku, Fado, Greek Music, Ragtime, Native American, Country Blues, Hindustani Classical Music. yeah.

Miniatures: experimental sound collage/electronic music, 51 tracks all about a minute each. fascinating world of sounds

Great Action Film Themes: self explanatory.

Shadow Factory: Sarah compilation: sarah records is legendary for its catalog of twee pop. this is an excellent place to start exploring the label.

Hitsville U.S.A. : The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971: yeaap.

Universal Sounds of America: space jazz comp. sun ra, pharaoh sanders, art ensemble of chicago etc. really good+soul jazz stamp.
Harmony of the Spheres: dreamy, drony, noisy, spaced out, strung out in a park bench at 4pm, no idea how you got here. you know what i'm getting at. these are some of the best guitarists in the world on here.

Resurrection: The Amplified Bible of Heavenly Grooves:- sunshine pop and blue eyed soul by hippies you have probably never heard of.

Chains and Black Exhaust: - thick, groovy psych soul. not for 'smooth' enthusiasts.

Naturalism: - top shelf lo-fi and drone. really hard to find.

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore: 1927-1948: - documents the music of new american immigrants of the early 20th century. genres covered include klezmer, calypso, traditional hawaiian music, traditional folk, cajun. really fucking good.

Life Is a Problem ...But Where There Is Life, There Is Hope:- gospel, early electric blues. some of the best religious music.

Labrador 100: A Complete History of Popular Music: - labrador records retrospective. indie pop brilliance.

Destroy That Boy! More Girls With Guitars: - companion piece to One Kiss Leads to Another!. obscure girl group sounds that should be heard by all.

Can You Dig It? The Music and Politics of Black Action Films 1968-75:- do you like blaxploitation movies? well then...

Goodbye, Babylon: there are 3 compilations that are essential to explore in terms of early 20th century american music, but Goodbye Babylon is a stone cold classic. the other two of my favourites are "I Listen To The Wind That Obliterates My Traces: Music in Vernacular Photographs 1880-1955" and "American Primitive Vol. II: Pre-War Revenants (1897-1939)"

The Minimal Wave Tapes, Volume One: - i love minimal synth/wave. this is a good introduction.

The Complete Stax/Volt Singles: 1959-1968: yeap..no intro necessary.

int'l:
Angola Soundtrack: The Unique Sound of Luanda 1965-1976 - explores angolan popular genres semba and merenque. analog africa stamp of approval

Turkish Freakout: Psych-Folk Singles 1969-1980 - the anatolian psych rock scene is immense and though this just scratches the surface, it's a good primer.

Maskindans: Norsk synth 1980-1988 - scandinavian synth pop/rock

World Psychedelic Classics 3: Love's a Real Thing - The Funky Fuzzy Sounds of West Africa - west africa + fuzzcore. brilliance.

Japanese 80's New Wave Sampler - japanese new wave. believe it or not japanese new wave was as good as british/north american

BIPPP : French Synth-Wave 1979/85 : french synth musics.

Bossa Nova 1991: Shibuya Scene Retrospective: - explores the huge genres of shibuya-kei and chanson influenced j-pop. amazing and consistent.

Cazumbi - African Sixties Garage Vol.1: - raw african garage rock. great but not as good as...

African Scream Contest: Raw & Psychedelic Afro Sounds from Benin & Togo 70s :- RAWER african garage music.

Drums of Death : African percussive funeral music. powerful, joyous and cathartic.

Bollywood Funk: 15 Funk-Fuelled Grooves From the Bollywood Classics: - bollywood is immense, this covers the funkier side of it pretty well

Darker Than Blue: Soul From Jamdown 1973-1980: - reggae gurus covering soul classics

Fania Records 1964-1980: The Original Sound of Latin New York: - salsa and latin music primer

Bossa Nova and the Rise of Brazilian Music in the 1960s: - bossa nova/tropicalia; pretty entry level but if you haven't delved into the genres its an amazing place to start

Hugo Mendez Presents: Tropical Funk Experience. Island Jump Up: Caribean Funk, Soul, Reggae, Calypso and Afro Grooves 1968 - 1975: - calypsocore. caribbean has no shortage of good music.

Lagos Disco Inferno: - self explanatory. nigerian discos must have been fun.

Deutsche Elektronische Musik: Experimental German Rock and Electronic Music 1972-83: soul jazz stamp of approval. great dip into german music of the 70's

Whom the Moon a Nightsong Sings: Finnish psych/dark folk compilation. somnolence has rarely felt so good.

Shimauta Pops in 60's-70's: - japanese shimauta; bubblegum pop from the 60's.

Great Jewish Music: Sasha Argov: jewish klezmer music. kinda kosher but really good

So Young But So Cold: Underground French Music 1977-1983 - self explanatory

The Sexual Life of the Savages: Underground Post-Punk From São Paulo, Brasil: - crazy post punk from brazil. who knew?

London Is the Place for Me Volume 4 - African Dreams & the Piccadilly High Life: - fucking amazing and sure to put the fattest smile on your face.

The Music of Islam: - really good primer into middle eastern, religious music.

Choro 1906-1947: Choro is the name given to traditional andean/south american music of the early 20th century, kind of like a parent genre to tropicalia. really gorgeous stuff here.

Welcome to Dreamland - Another Japan : - really weird, drugged out japanese underground stuff.

electronic:
OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music: 1948-1980: the importance of these sounds can never be overstated. the invention and propagation of modern electronica as we know it. huge boxset, but ridiculously good.

Night slugs all stars: - posted this in the tronic thread, contemporary british electronic at its zenith atm, imo.

Invisible Pyramid: Elegy Box: okay, this isn't really electronic and leans toward drone, ambient, psych folk and a bunch of other things. it's from last visible dog (one of my favourite labels ever) and basically is 6 discs of some of the most innovative and experimental music you'll ever hear. it's kind of a gateway drug really, late night sonic transmissions that will open so many doors for anyone willing to give these patience. just 5 stars, all the way.

Disco Not Disco: Post Punk, Electro & Leftfield Disco Classics 1974-1986: turns out that even disco artists were experimenting. bits of new wave and electro/punk thrown in for good measure.

Warp20: Warp records retrospective. you have this already maybe? really good nonetheless.

Disco Discharge. Classic Disco: - one of the BEST disco comps ever. hoooly shit.

Moss: modern classical and ambient comp. highly rec'd, though v hard to find.

Fünf : - one of the best minimal techno compilations of all time. all german and all fucking amazing.

Dark as Night: - Experimental dance music + experimental witch house. listen to this to see just how far behind the popular witch house scene is lagging behind at the moment.

WARP10+1. Influences - where warp records came from. acid house primer.

Classic House Mastercuts Volume 1: - chicago house primer.

Virtual Sex - underground detroit techno hits. really good.

Nah Und Fern - ambient techno's guiding light. timeless.

Minimal Nation- detroit techno milestone. robert hood is the man.

Maurizio - M - maurizio of basic channel fame. as good as, if not better than, BCD and BCD2. top shelf dub techno.

Warrior Dubz - british dance music of the 00's history lesson. mary anne hobbs is the new john peel.

Fabric Presents Elevator Music Vol. 1: fabric's lounge music compilation. suprisingly, not really loungey at all and really listenable.

Balance 016 - Agoria; - probably the BEST mix in the balance series. honey oozing out of my speakers in 4/4.

and really, anythnig in the fabric + fabriclive series, kompakt's total + pop ambient series, the balance series, the berghain series and FACT magazine's bi weekly fact mixes which can all be found here (http://www.factmag.com/category/factmixes)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 pm 

Awesome, is it free leach over on What, or is just something you've earned being a good uploader?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:15 pm 

yo Rashed, if it's not too much trouble, a few of these sounded extremely intriguing to me and I'd really appreciate an upload if you have the time. They are, in my order of interest, Bollywood Funk, Fania Records, and Tropical Funk Experience.

I'd be down to make it worth your while by uploading something that's really hard to find on the internet, but I don't really have much rare stuff besides traditional Irish folk, which you may or may not be interested in. Here's a sample, listen and see if you're down:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:17 pm 

Georgi wrote:
Awesome, is it free leach over on What, or is just something you've earned being a good uploader?

For their 4th birthday they gave everyone a certain amount of "tokens" for free downloads under 1gb (i.e. not hurting ratio/essentially a freeleach). I got 50 and I want to use them before they expire. Not sure how soon that is, given the site's been down a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:36 pm 

seeing as im sufficiently informed about bollywood music, id definitely like to see what songs were chosen to represent 'funk' in terms of bollywood

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:48 pm 

google helped me out with the tropical and bollywood funk comps actually

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 pm 

i know some of those songs by heart (assuming you saw the comp available on amazon), and LOL on them being called 'funk', but hehe, i think thats the beauty of having Bollywood preceding it :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 pm 

Man thanks for all the suggestions, Rashed, I'll be sure to pick some of those up once the site's back up.

Before your list I picked up these, if anyone's interested:
History of Trojan Records
Flying Nun 25th Anniversary Boxset
The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions (Miles Davis)
Phil Spector: Back to Mono (1958-1969)
Goodbye, Babylon
Anthology of American Folk Music
Dusty Fingers Collection

I've made my way through lots of Dusty Fingers and bits of Goodbye, Babylon, the folk one and am listening to Spector. So much good shit. I'm really liking compilation listening lately. So much variety and goodness in one collection.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:57 pm 

whats the dusty fingers and babylon awesome ? what genres ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 pm 

awesome wrote:
Georgi wrote:

For their 4th birthday they gave everyone a certain amount of "tokens" for free downloads under 1gb (i.e. not hurting ratio/essentially a freeleach). I got 50 and I want to use them before they expire. Not sure how soon that is, given the site's been down a lot.

Hmm, well I'm on a 0.11 ratio (although that's comfortably within what I need to be, I haven't downloaded much). Hopefully I'll have a handful of tokens - is one token worth one download?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm 

Yousha wrote:
whats the dusty fingers and babylon awesome ? what genres ?

Dusty fingers is mainly funk/jazz and GB is gospel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:16 pm 

in that case, Id certainly like to have a look at the Dusty Fingers, and thanks MH :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 pm 

No probs Yousha :thumb:
Going through songs from those compilations and cot damn dreamcoil thank you sooo much.
dreamcoil wrote:
The Sexual Life of the Savages: Underground Post-Punk From São Paulo, Brasil: - crazy post punk from brazil. who knew?

London Is the Place for Me Volume 4 - African Dreams & the Piccadilly High Life: - fucking amazing and sure to put the fattest smile on your face.

question for ya tho: have you heard of the Nao Wave and LITPFM: trinidadian calypso comps? both ridiculously good

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next