It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ambient discussion
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 pm 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
I love Tim Hecker, but I've only heard Harmony in Ultraviolet. Gotta get onto his most recent album.

Ravedeath is something really incredible man. Unfortunately, it's still the only Tim Hecker album I've heard. HiU will be my next though for sure

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:24 pm 

tim hecker albums i've heard and vague associations of what they do to my head:

haunt me, haunt me do it again: post apocalyptic midwest blues
radio amor: satellite transmissions and glimpses of the best memories you had as a kid
mirages: deep sea dronebient. the microsecond of you diving into the water and breaking surface tension being extended into an hour.
harmony in ultraviolet: love. pure and simple. being in love, losing it, gaining it, everything in between. this music is strong enough to bring me to my fucking knees if the mood is correct.
ravedeath, 1972: staring into a huge fucking abyss, wondering if i should in fact take the plunge or not.

haven't heard mort aux vaches and an imaginary country yet, though i doubt i'd be disappointed. tim hecker = god of texture and ambience and as i have said already - has never made a bad record.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 am 

my favourite Basinski album, somehow better than the disintegration loops series. check this out and be very, very sad.

Melancholia
-http://www.mediafire.com/?nyezjwzldyw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:39 pm 

So check this out guys, it's this project called Ghost in which musicians on YouTube all record a video of improved on the same key and upload it to this channel called GHOST. On the Ghost website you can right click and play any one of the videos on the webpage or play a random one which loops indefinitely. You can play as many videos as you want and different combinations create beautiful ambient soundscapes. Try it out:

http://suturesound.com/ghost/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:13 pm 

Fennesz - Endless Summer. Shit's good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 pm 

We should make a Greatest Ambient Artists/Albums list. I'm probably not qualified to make it, but I'd love to mine it for recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:50 pm 

i can run this thread real hard if you want, i'm not sure how many ddders are into ambient/drone though, if any. i've been listening to a lot of this stuff over the past two years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:22 pm 

i dont know how to seperate genres, but i was really into Bohren's Sunset Mission, especially when falling asleep, and that album Bersarin Quartet Dipsoid recd some time back is a top 10 album for me all time without hesitation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:10 pm 

yeah that's doom-jazz, as they call it. i like that stuff but can't really listen to them at any other time except late nights

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm 

Yeah, Bersarin Quartett is pretty rocking Yousha. :D

Bohren is alright, but there's so little variation to the music it all starts to sound the same. If you like Bohren, check out The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble or the related act The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation, I think you'd dig them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am 

heard the 1st and you're right, i do dig it a lot. Here be Dragons is another top 20-25 album for me, need to listen to more though, which is the idea. Had lost my pc, and had no real access to internet to download stuff for a while. Hopefully that changes in a week or so, then im back to accumulating again. Im just praying Mediafire doesnt shut, thats my only access to music

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:20 am 

the orb-back side of the moon. that is all

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 am 

This should be of interest to anyone in this thread (if you haven't seen it already): http://rateyourmusic.com/list/wilczur/e ... ury_to_now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 pm 

Revisited Steve Roach's masterpiece Dreamtime Return today during work. Gaaawwwd... it's so good. Makes you feel like you really have slipped into a dream.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:22 pm 

I've been really into Inade lately. Really creepy stuff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next