DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Neil Young
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:48 am 

edit : this album also contains Like a Hurricane - so I guess the rest of the album must be pretty mediocre for it not be a bold at least .... cause of these are masterpieces ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:12 pm 

American Stars n Bars is considered a good album, but it's just that for NY a good album isn't good enough for bold status, because even a red rating for NY is all-time great status. A bold NY album generally means among the top 5 or 6 most acclaimed albums of that year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 am 

correct i guess, but those 2 songs are out of the world good .... Young never performed will to love live cause he apparently couldnt .... thats something .... such amazing lyrics ....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972 (box set)(2009)

reccomended first listen: After the Gold Rush

[color=orange]Required Listening
Highly Recommended Listening
Reccomended Listening

Fix this.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:21 pm 

just finished listening to the Fillmore performance of Crazy horses...

what a great album , and the longer jams are amazing ....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:34 pm 

Time Fades Away should be in the list of live albums. I also think that the Crazy Horse album Crazy Moon which Neil played guitar on should be listed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
One example off the top of my head is that for Neil Young's tier, On the Beach, which isn't in NY's top 5 greatest albums is orange, whereas Harvest which is his #2 album on that list and his biggest selling album is only red, this is simply because On the Beach is generally considered the better album by the majority of Neil Young fans and for no other reason.

I am copying this over from another thread because I figure that any discussion of Neil Young belongs here.

Once again, I wanna ask about why Time Fades Away and Rust Never Sleeps aren't in the list for live albums? And why is Eldorado listed twice?

Next, why is the...heck is Eldorado unbolded when it should be red? If there's anything that a newb should hear right away, one of them is definitely that EP.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:38 am 

Studio albums
Neil Young (1968)
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)
After the Gold Rush (1970)
Harvest (1972)
On the Beach (1974)
Tonight's the Night (1975)
Zuma (1975)
Long May You Run (1976)
American Stars 'N Bars (1977)
Comes a Time (1978)
Crazy Moon (1978)
Hawks & Doves (1980)
Re-ac-tor (1981)
Trans (1982)
Everybody's Rockin' (1983)
Old Ways (1985)
Landing on Water (1986)
Life (1987)
This Note's for You (1988)
Freedom (1989)
Ragged Glory (1990)
Harvest Moon (1992)
Sleeps with Angels (1994)
Mirror Ball (1994)
Broken Arrow (1996)
Silver & Gold (2000)
Are You Passionate? (2002)
Greendale (2003)
Prairie Wind (2005)
Living with War (2006)
Living with War: "In the Beginning" (2006)
Chrome Dreams II (2007)
Fork in the Road (2009)
Le Noise (2010)

Other albums
Journey Through the Past - Soundtrack (1972)
Time Fades Away (1973)
Decade (1977)
Rust Never Sleeps (1979)
Live Rust (1979)
Where the Buffalo Roam - Soundtrack (1980)
Eldorado EP (1989)
Weld (1991)
Arc (1991)
Unplugged (1993)
Lucky Thirteen (1993)
Philadelphia - Soundtrack (1994)
Dead Man - Soundtrack (1996)
Year of the Horse (1997)
Road Rock Vol. 1 (2000)
Mystery Train (2001)
Greatest Hits (2004)
Live at the Fillmore East (2006)
Live at Massey Hall 1971 (2007)
Sugar Mountain - Live At Canterbury House 1968 (2008)
The Archives Vol. 1 1963-1972 (2009)
Dreamin' Man Live '92 (2009)
A Treasure (2011)

Buffalo Springfield
Buffalo Springfield (1966)
Buffalo Springfield Again (1967)
Last Time Around (1968)

CSNY
Deja Vu (1970)
4 Way Street (1971)
So Far (1974)
American Dream (1988)
Looking Forward (1999)
Deja Vu Live (2008)

MY recommended 1st: Rust Never Sleeps

Last edited by dmille on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am 

dmille - Rust Never Sleeps and Time Fades Away aren't put in the live section album because it is an album of entirely new material and not all of it is live anyway. It's difficult for half live/half studio albums, but people will often overlook it if it's placed in the live section despite being entirely new songs they haven't heard before, so it just makes more sense from a recommendation point of view to put it in with the studio ones.

I agree Eldorado should be bolded, but not sure about it being red. No need to put your opinion over in such an aggressive manner though, you are taking these tiers far too seriously, they are subjective and so always going to be up for debate, their purpose is just for casual recommendations, I'm not sure how often people actually use them anyway. Me and Piper have discussed scrapping them in the past, because we're never actually sure how useful they are and people spend far too much time discussing them rather than the actual artist themself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
dmille - Rust Never Sleeps and Time Fades Away aren't put in the live section album because it is an album of entirely new material and not all of it is live anyway. It's difficult for half live/half studio albums, but people will often overlook it if it's placed in the live section despite being entirely new songs they haven't heard before, so it just makes more sense from a recommendation point of view to put it in with the studio ones.

Half? The entire TFA is live and 7 of the 9 songs on Rust are live. IMO if there gonna be a separate section for live albums, then IMO they should be in that section. (IMO)

Quote:
I agree Eldorado should be bolded, but not sure about it being red. No need to put your opinion over in such an aggressive manner though, you are taking these tiers far too seriously, they are subjective and so always going to be up for debate, their purpose is just for casual recommendations, I'm not sure how often people actually use them anyway. Me and Piper have discussed scrapping them in the past, because we're never actually sure how useful they are and people spend far too much time discussing them rather than the actual artist themself.

My questions are straight forward. If you take it as "aggressive", then you're probably a racist. :smile:

Eldorado is one of Young's best guitar showcases. And IMO it is so kick@ss that it deserves red simply on the merits of the music. And red & orange are to direct people to the best music, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 pm 

i dont get the tangerine for Massey Hall ... its too recent an album to get an orange ive always felt .....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:

I'm slowly becoming convinced that adding tiers to artist threads is one of the worst ideas we ever had. They work fine on the directors threads, and very little of the discussion on those threads is about the tiers. Not so here.

I hate how the tiers have pretty much cannibalized all discussion of an artist on most pages, and also how when some tiers are completed, the thread dies (seriously I don't get how The Flaming Lips page has zero posts). It also seems now that artists who would have never gotten a page before we added the tiers are now getting enough votes for pages so tiers can be built and then they're forgotten.

I'm not against the tiers entirely, and I don't see a scenario where we'll remove them in the near future, i'm just not happy about how little they promote non-tier related discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 pm 

A: Band X is kick@ss
B: Yeah
C: Yeah
D: Yeah
E: My favorite song by them is ____
A: Yeah
B: Yeah
C: Yeah
D: Yeah
piper: :biggrin:
me: :sleep:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:48 pm 

piper wrote:

I'm slowly becoming convinced that adding tiers to artist threads is one of the worst ideas we ever had. They work fine on the directors threads, and very little of the discussion on those threads is about the tiers. Not so here.

this, a hundred thousand times. the obsession with ranking things objectively has pretty much killed this forum. not only does a new person coming into the thread see the listings and just goes on to download the records that are 'golded' (kills discussion), it also is suggestive to a certain canonised way of getting into artists. there's heaps of people who get into an artist or connect better with a lesser work. down with the forthcoming tiers i say

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:43 am 

rashed - its true, but a lot of people dont have the time/resources etc. to do that....though actually, if they really wanted to get into the top albums, that person doesnt need to see a tier made by DDD to see which albums to go for and could just hook onto RYM and download the top rated albums.... so actually, you're right .... suggesting songs, discussion about the songs/albums etc. should probably be 1st priority .... however, it kinda sucks when noone is responding to your query , which, i have noticed, happens most of the time someone posts a song and or encourages discussion about a matter....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next