DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pink Floyd
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Tudwell wrote:
Sorry, I'm not trying to troll. I find Waters up there with Lennon in terms of vastly overrated (though still kind of decent at times) rock lyricists. What do you love about the lyrics to Dogs?

What's not to love about them?

They're stupid and reductionary. The entire premise of Animals makes me want to throw the album out the window. By reducing complex social issues to some absurd allegory, Waters kicks to the curb any emotional resonance and manages to show not even a modicum of deeper thought about a subject as complex as human interaction. I find them totally infuriating.

Negative Creep wrote:
It's reflective, emotional and somewhat narrative. So many bases are covered in the lyrics, whether it's real life hardship ("gotta sleep on your toes...when you're on the street"), scathing bitterness ("just another sad old man...all alone and dying of cancer") or bleak hopelessness ("dragged down by the stone").

I don't find anything emotionally engaging in that song. The phrase "creeping malaise" is a good one, but that's about the only time the lyrics progress beyond the level of a middle schooler's poetry.

Negative Creep wrote:
I realize this is all subjective, but I simply love Waters' lyrics in general.
You may not care too much, but Dogs is like #2 on DDD's lyric performance list.

Which is totally embarrassing for this website.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 am 

All the ideas in Animals are all pulled directly out of Animal Farm.
Its not as if they're just 'George Orwell inspired'-- Animals is essentially the album version of Animal Farm.

You're right, the lyrics in Dogs are on par with something a 12 year old would write after being asked to write a reflective poem on Animal Farm.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:20 am 

waters is one of the most overrated lyricists in music history. he's about as subtle as a jackhammer with his lyrical depth.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:48 am 

McMurphy wrote:
All the ideas in Animals are all pulled directly out of Animal Farm.
Its not as if they're just 'George Orwell inspired'-- Animals is essentially the album version of Animal Farm.

You're right, the lyrics in Dogs are on par with something a 12 year old would write after being asked to write a reflective poem on Animal Farm.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Unless all of Waters' lyrics are direct quotations from Animal Farm, then it's totally conceivable (as evidenced by its actually being the case) that Waters' version of Orwell's story is far lower in quality.

dreamcoil wrote:
waters is one of the most overrated lyricists in music history. he's about as subtle as a jackhammer with his lyrical depth.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:50 am 

dreamcoil wrote:

They're rock & roll songs. Not opera, not classical, not jazz.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am 

Tudwell wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Tudwell wrote:
Sorry, I'm not trying to troll. I find Waters up there with Lennon in terms of vastly overrated (though still kind of decent at times) rock lyricists. What do you love about the lyrics to Dogs?

What's not to love about them?

They're stupid and reductionary. The entire premise of Animals makes me want to throw the album out the window. By reducing complex social issues to some absurd allegory, Waters kicks to the curb any emotional resonance and manages to show not even a modicum of deeper thought about a subject as complex as human interaction. I find them totally infuriating.

Apart from the silly ending, I never found the lyrics of "Dogs" 'awful'. I rank them among various other rock lyrics as pretty forgettable and bland. Personally, I think "High Hopes" has very beautiful lyrics, I prefer Gilmour's writing style.

Damn, this thread suddenly turned into 'analyze these lyrics'-debate. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:02 pm 

Tudwell wrote:

As I said, it's rock & roll. Any thought deeper than "Gon' git luv" or "I gotta be me, so fuck you" is profound for rock.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:17 pm 

Tudwell wrote:

So are we really supposed to sit here and argue about our personal PERCEPTION of something like lyrics?
I think they're amazing. You don't. We perceive and digest the lyrics in different ways. That's about as far as it's gonna go.

Tudwell wrote:
Which is totally embarrassing for this website.

Oh of course. Anything that doesn't meet the Tudwell seal-of-approval is certainly without artistic merit.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:18 pm 

And here we go again. :snacks:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:21 pm 

dmille wrote:
Tudwell wrote:

As I said, it's rock & roll. Any thought deeper than "Gon' git luv" or "I gotta be me, so fuck you" is profound for rock.

I usually don't find lyrics 'unlistenable', because I can ignore them and focus on vocals instead. The only lyrics that truly annoy me are the pseudo-political "government kills poor daily, let's unite against Bush"-esque lyrics. Other than that, I'm so used to all the typical clichés of rock lyrics. They are only the icing on top of the cake, imo.

In Waters' defense, he has few lyrical moments I really dig. Something like "Goodbye Blue Sky" just appeals to me, guess it's the simple yet effective wording.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

Quote:
I don't see what this has to do with anything. Unless all of Waters' lyrics are direct quotations from Animal Farm, then it's totally conceivable (as evidenced by its actually being the case) that Waters' version of Orwell's story is far lower in quality.

It was a response to this.

Quote:

I was agreeing that his commentary was stupid and reductionary. His lyrics are a watered down version of Orwellian politics.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm 

Timitzii wrote:

Well at least we're keeping you entertained. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm 

McMurphy wrote:
Quote:

It was a response to this.

Quote:

I was agreeing that his commentary was stupid and reductionary. His lyrics are a watered down version of Orwellian politics.

Oh, okay. I thought your last sentence was sarcastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Timitzii wrote:

Well at least we're keeping you entertained. :lol:

This forum is better than TV.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm 

OR a vagina

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next