DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rob Halford - The Metal God
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm 

Yousha wrote:
I used to agree once, not anymore. His painkiller era voice and delivery blows that away in terms of aggression and attitude

Dammit what happened to the beast of old? :lol:

I think he's trying too hard on Painkiller. There's some really badass, intense shit on there, but I definitely prefer things like Stained Class and The Ripper for menace. I think it works much better in the context of the darker, more Sabbath-ish kind of sound they had in the early days.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:23 am 

Timitzii wrote:
Or alternately, some may perceive this as 'menacing':

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:24 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Live Insurrection is an INSANE album. That is all.

It is. One of my favorite live vocal albums.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:44 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Yousha wrote:
I used to agree once, not anymore. His painkiller era voice and delivery blows that away in terms of aggression and attitude

Dammit what happened to the beast of old? :lol:

I think he's trying too hard on Painkiller. There's some really badass, intense shit on there, but I definitely prefer things like Stained Class and The Ripper for menace. I think it works much better in the context of the darker, more Sabbath-ish kind of sound they had in the early days.

I agree. My favorite tone for Halford was by far Stained Class and Sin After Sin.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:13 pm 

I never understand why Sin After Sin is so underrated.

"Here Come The Tears"....surely one of Halford's most underrated vocal displays...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:29 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
I never understand why Sin After Sin is so underrated.

"Here Come The Tears"....surely one of Halford's most underrated vocal displays...

It's also just chock-full of good songs. "Diamonds and Rust" hits me like a ton of bricks, emotively speaking. I also love his vocals on "Sinner" and "Call for the Priest". Halford's intensity just gets my blood boiling.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:09 pm 

Not to mention the almighty Dissident Aggressor. I STILL cannot believe that something so brutal was recorded in 1977.... :freak:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:24 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Not to mention the almighty Dissident Aggressor. I STILL cannot believe that something so brutal was recorded in 1977.... :freak:

DUUUDE lol I know....that track is heavy as shit. When trying to find a good heavy tone on an amp that's usually one of the first riffs I play. Also a fun song to use to practice upper register screams.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 pm 

Listening to a new 1988 bootleg I acquired today, it seems like a recurring problem for Rob is nailing the first verse of "The Sentinel," for some reason. It seems like this particular part of his range is where he struggles the most with hitting the notes cleanly and with power, even when his singing is otherwise excellent. Any ideas or theories?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm 

Listening to a new 1988 bootleg I acquired today, it seems like a recurring problem for Rob is nailing the first verse of "The Sentinel," for some reason. It seems like this particular part of his range is where he struggles the most with hitting the notes cleanly and with power, even when his singing is otherwise excellent. Any ideas or theories?

From my experience it comes from the voice getting tired after belting in high head and falsetto. Even if the screams are spot on it can become difficult to sing melodies spot on in the lower register for some reason. Probably because one's natural voice becomes hoarse and strained sounding. Probably why Rob simplifies his melodic ideas live. I've always noticed his screams are killer live, sometimes better, and his phrasing is weaker because he takes out some of the little runs and dips that make his mid range singing interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 pm 

Halford was such a beast of a live singer for so long, it's only natural that he'd start to fall off sooner or later.

That famous '88 tour was just incredible.

"Freewheel Burning" from The Tube in '84 is still my favorite live performance from him.
Damn near as badass as the studio version...despite the annoying close-ups of Glenn Tipton's crotch. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Halford was such a beast of a live singer for so long, it's only natural that he'd start to fall off sooner or later.

That famous '88 tour was just incredible.

"Freewheel Burning" from The Tube in '84 is still my favorite live performance from him.
Damn near as badass as the studio version...despite the annoying close-ups of Glenn Tipton's crotch. :lol:

I think he's still pretty damn amazing for his age. Still his head and falsetto screams sound cooler tonally than Gillan did at Halfords age and onward.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:57 am 

It's probably been asked before, but I just gotta get this out here: Halford's never been able to nail "Painkiller" live, but he's done "Resurrection" numerous times and owned that song. They're very similar in style, it's even dubbed the "Painkiller voice" when he does it, so how come the original is the one he can't sing well? Is it a range thing or something?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:14 am 

It's probably been asked before, but I just gotta get this out here: Halford's never been able to nail "Painkiller" live, but he's done "Resurrection" numerous times and owned that song. They're very similar in style, it's even dubbed the "Painkiller voice" when he does it, so how come the original is the one he can't sing well? Is it a range thing or something?

I think Painkiller is a little more varied and complex, there's more tonal shifts and things like that, whereas "Resurrection" is just sung loud and high throughout the whole thing, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:04 pm 

I will never understand why people don't think Sin After Sin is in the same stratosphere as SoD and Stained Class. It's BETTER than Stained Class imo.

70s Priest > Painkiller > 80s Priest.

Run of the Mill is fucking amazing vocally, and I always always always loved Heroes End.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next