DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Most Technically Skilled Male Rock Vocalists
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Herb, I believe you are out of your element when discussing this topic. If you'd like to hop over to the new 100 Greatest Rock Singers list that is just getting started, I'd enjoy your input.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 pm 

Cruz wrote:
Herb, I believe you are out of your element when discussing this topic. If you'd like to hop over to the new 100 Greatest Rock Singers list that is just getting started, I'd enjoy your input.

Haha, sure I's love too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:46 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Plant and Gillan are most absolutely, definitely, unequivocally not the cream of the crops in the technical skill category. Both honestly have relatively poor technique in the grand scheme of rock singers, and their placements as it is really is too high.

Lambert on the other hand is just about flawless technically, it's astounding the things he can do with his voice. He's the only person who's threatened to take Jackie Wilson's place at the top of this list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 am 

Sherick wrote:
Plant and Gillan are most absolutely, definitely, unequivocally not the cream of the crops in the technical skill category. Both honestly have relatively poor technique in the grand scheme of rock singers, and their placements as it is really is too high.

Lambert on the other hand is just about flawless technically, it's astounding the things he can do with his voice. He's the only person who's threatened to take Jackie Wilson's place at the top of this list.

Are you being fucking serious? Robert Plant and Ian Gillan have no skill and Adam Lambert does? This is just too much. I am sick of all this bullshit. Adam Lambert is one of the most overrated pieces of scum on the planet. Robert Plant's voice is a piece of heaven that fell from the sky. Plant goes up to the highest notes and lowest, especially Gillan, One of the greatest high pitch vocalists, Gillan's voice is strong as well, He sings with a lyrical passion and forces his vocal power against it. Tell me what is so poor about their techniques, Adam Lambert is nothing. Nothing at all. This is by far the worst list on digital dream door. Even if it's coming from me, the most hated member on the site, I really don't give a shit who gets mad at me for saying all this. RollingStone could probably make a better list than this. AND I FUCKING HATE ROLLINGSTONE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:01 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Quote:
Vocalists are rated on their Technical Skill based on their prime ability by the following criteria.

Technique: Breath Support, Consistency throughout registers, Endurance, Diction
Control: Register Switching, Runs, Register Blending, Pitch, Vibrato, Volume Control
Power & Range: Projection, Resonance, Use of Range, Sustain
Versatility: Technical Versatility, Tonal Versatility, Stylistic Versatility

Plant vs. Lambert
Breath Support: Lambert (this is not even close)
Consistency throughout Registers: Both of their head voices are much better than their chest voices. Plants is much more resonant though. I'll give this to Plant by a narrow margin.
Endurance: This remains to be seen for Lambert, but Plant's voice crapped out after only 4 years or so, which is a huge indicator that his technique was unhealthy/was poor. I'll call this a tie just to be fair, but I would be shocked if Lambert's voice suffered the same fate as Plant's.
Diction: Lambert is significantly better at maintaining his diction throughout all kinds of difficult phrases. Plant's diction loses its accuracy significantly, especially at high volume. Rock n' Roll is a good example of this.

Register Switching: Lambert consistently attempts much more difficult switches than Plant ever did, and with much better accuracy.
Runs: This is about as big a landslide as you can have. Plant rarely ever did any runs while Lambert's, while they tend to be repetitive, require a ton of skill and he uses them quite often.
Register Blending: Both of them are great at blending, though Lambert much more so at softer volumes. Still, Plant's head voice always has sounded much more full/connected to me, so he should get this one.
Pitch: Lambert, fairly easily. He is a much more consistent live performer when it comes to ability to stay on pitch.
Vibrato: Lambert has impeccable control of his vibrato. This was certainly not one of Plant's strong suits. For the most part, he was a straight-toned singer, and when he did utilize some vibrato is was uncontrolled, e.g., Whole Lotta Love's final cry of, "You need it... Loooooooove."
Volume Control: Plant was fantastic at using dynamics, stylistically speaking. That's one of the reasons that Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You is so high (is it number one now?) on the Vocal Performances list. In terms of precise control of volume, though, Lambert takes this criterion as well. Tracks of My Tears from American Idol is a good example.

Projection: Plant
Resonance: Plant
Use of Range: Plant
Sustain: Lambert

Technical Versatility: Lambert
Tonal Versatility: Tie
Stylistic Versatility: Plant

=========

So, Herb, Lambert pretty much destroys Plant when it comes to technique and control, which are really the essences of what it means to be a "skilled" singer. Power goes to Plant, clearly, and versatility I would call a tie, though it could be argued that Plant should take tonal versatility.

Let me point out that Plant is one of my all-time favorite singers. Probably in my Top 5. I like him a whole lot more than Adam Lambert. But when it comes to being a skilled vocalist with impeccable technique, Adam Lambert is very, very tough to beat.

I'll also point out that nobody here hates you. It's just that we have invested nearly a decade of our time into many of these lists; researching, comparing, contrasting, discussing, arguing, etc. So when somebody comes in out of nowhere and says, "What a bunch of bullshit! Band X should be #1" it is insulting and frankly just pisses everyone off. We've had to deal with it time and time again over the past years and most everyone here has very little patience for that kind of attitude. As I said before, think of this as a place to learn and discuss. You are going to get nowhere (not to mention learn nothing) if you come in here declaring all of your personal opinions superior to our work.

Rock N Herbs wrote:
RollingStone could probably make a better list than this. AND I FUCKING HATE ROLLINGSTONE.

Now that's funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:09 am 

Cruz wrote:
Quote:
Vocalists are rated on their Technical Skill based on their prime ability by the following criteria.

Technique: Breath Support, Consistency throughout registers, Endurance, Diction
Control: Register Switching, Runs, Register Blending, Pitch, Vibrato, Volume Control
Power & Range: Projection, Resonance, Use of Range, Sustain
Versatility: Technical Versatility, Tonal Versatility, Stylistic Versatility

Plant vs. Lambert
Consistency throughout Registers: Both of their head voices are much better than their chest voices. Plants is much more resonant though. I'll give this to Plant by a narrow margin.
Endurance: This remains to be seen for Lambert, but Plant's voice crapped out after only 4 years or so, which is a huge indicator that his technique was unhealthy/was poor. I'll call this a tie just to be fair, but I would be shocked if Lambert's voice suffered the same fate as Plant's.
Diction: Lambert is significantly better at maintaining his diction throughout all kinds of difficult phrases. Plant's diction loses its accuracy significantly, especially at high volume. Rock n' Roll is a good example of this.

Register Switching: Lambert consistently attempts much more difficult switches than Plant ever did, and with much better accuracy.
Runs: This is about as big a landslide as you can have. Plant rarely ever did any runs while Lambert's, while they tend to be repetitive, require a ton of skill and he uses them quite often.
Register Blending: Both of them are great at blending, though Lambert much more so at softer volumes. Still, Plant's head voice always has sounded much more full/connected to me, so he should get this one.
Pitch: Lambert, fairly easily. He is a much more consistent live performer when it comes to ability to stay on pitch.
Vibrato: Lambert has impeccable control of his vibrato. This was certainly not one of Plant's strong suits. For the most part, he was a straight-toned singer, and when he did utilize some vibrato is was uncontrolled, e.g., Whole Lotta Love's final cry of, "You need it... Loooooooove."
Volume Control: Plant was fantastic at using dynamics, stylistically speaking. That's one of the reasons that Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You is so high (is it number one now?) on the Vocal Performances list. In terms of precise control of volume, though, Lambert takes this criterion as well. Tracks of My Tears from American Idol is a good example.

Projection: Plant
Resonance: Plant
Use of Range: Plant
Sustain: Lambert

Technical Versatility: Lambert
Tonal Versatility: Tie
Stylistic Versatility: Plant

=========

So, Herb, Lambert pretty much destroys Plant when it comes to technique and control, which are really the essences of what it means to be a "skilled" singer. Power goes to Plant, clearly, and versatility I would call a tie, though it could be argued that Plant should take tonal versatility.

Let me point out that Plant is one of my all-time favorite singers. Probably in my Top 5. I like him a whole lot more than Adam Lambert. But when it comes to being a skilled vocalist with impeccable technique, Adam Lambert is very, very tough to beat.

I'll also point out that nobody here hates you. It's just that we have invested nearly a decade of our time into many of these lists; researching, comparing, contrasting, discussing, arguing, etc. So when somebody comes in out of nowhere and says, "What a bunch of bullshit! Band X should be #1" it is insulting and frankly just pisses everyone off. We've had to deal with it time and time again over the past years and most everyone here has very little patience for that kind of attitude. As I said before, think of this as a place to learn and discuss. You are going to get nowhere (not to mention learn nothing) if you come in here declaring all of your personal opinions superior to our work.

Rock N Herbs wrote:
RollingStone could probably make a better list than this. AND I FUCKING HATE ROLLINGSTONE.

Now that's funny.

Can you do a comparison of Gillan and Lambert?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:11 am 

Quote:

Breath support sounds like shit right here. Plant never does that when he performs live.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:16 am 

A: What are you referring to?
B: What the hell does "breath support sounds like shit" mean?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 am 

Cruz wrote:
A: What are you referring to?
B: What the hell does "breath support sounds like shit" mean?

Isn't breath support how a singer can hold his/her breath while singing?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
No.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:46 pm 

:snacks: Herb you should come back when you have at least some kind of idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:20 pm 

Rock N Herbs wrote:
Plant goes up to the highest notes and lowest, especially Gillan, One of the greatest high pitch vocalists

Adam Lamberts vocal range: F#2-Bb5
Robert Plants vocal range: Lowest-Highest

He has you beat there, Cruz.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:00 pm 

If your talking about vocal control and skill then I would give it to Adam. I understand now, but..... Lambert will never be a singer like Plant, never in his career will he be that successful. Nobody even knows where the fuck he is now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:08 pm 

Maybe you should start a Top 100 Vocalist Careers list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 227, 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234  Next