So, I originally had this huge entry typed up with YouTube links and cover art and everything, but my computer crashed in the middle of it. I had a blurb for all but five entries typed up, and I lost it all. So the entries are now going to be shorter, and I'm only going to just post the YouTube links rather than hide them in a URL
. No cover art either. Playlist on Spotify
40. Deltron 3030 - Things You Can Dohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9SQri2884
Del sounds great over this sci-fi cabaret beat.
39. Saint Etienne - Heart Failed (In the Back of a Taxi)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7JNs20K8Vg
One of the best singles bands of the '90s doing what they do in the noughties.
38. Mos Def - Umi Sayshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsihHoyqwWY
The song that really showed that Mos Def transcended hip hop.
37. Rage Against the Machine - Calm Like a Bombhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbGJeXShopk
Politics don't matter here, this song still makes me want to start a revolution even though I don't know what the lyrics are.
36. R Kelly - I Wishhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8CXUzepL6k
Kelly commits so much to everything he does that this cheesy tune becomes heartfelt and inspirational.
35. Enya - Only Timehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI
Step 1 = Sad new age
Step 2 = 9/11
Step 3 = Still don't know what the fuck new age is really
34. ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Mistakes & Regretshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v96X6XZ2rWE
Emo kids rage instead of cry
33. MJ Cole - Crazy Lovehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRMzC4aKVQ
Underrated 2-step jam, was hoping he would get bigger when dubstep broke...guess not
32. Dr Dre feat. Eminem - Forgot About Drehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5a93wABHNM
Everybody raves about Eminem on this track, but this might be Dre's finest hour as a rapper
31. The Hives - Hate to Say I Told You Sohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE
Swag swag swag and that fun fat guy
30. Aaliyah - Try Againhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcIvIladNnQ
She's overrated because she died, but this is a great song.
29. Busta Rhymes - Firehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLftjtN9Hpk
Dude sounds great over any kind of beat.
28. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonitehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k
Broke away from the pitfalls of post-grunge by having a charismatic front man who didn't sound like a sheep giving birth to a demon when he sang.
27. Third Eye Blind - Never Let You Gohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kiHBFwGsUE
Masters of near perfect pop/rock singles
26. Nelly - Country Grammarhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5qKNlcUwKs
That beat is like Timbaland hangin' out in the dirty south, and Nelly sounds pretty cool over it.
25. Radiohead - Optimistichttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKV6ZWuCAc
Stood out on Kid A because it's not completely depressing.
24. Clinic - The Second Linehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ppcLkALYas
Clinic is still the coolest sounding band...
23. Mystikal - Shake Ya Asshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7B5KwXHFtw
Y'all know what this is about.
22. Outkast - BOBhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyVIsvQoaE
I'm sure some British producer tried to meld hip hop and drum n' bass in the '90s, but the USA wins again!
21. Madonna - Don't Tell Mehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLHro9EPD0
This song explains why Lady Gaga will never be as good as Madonna - she could never be this understated.
20. Ludacris - Southern hospitalhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QWQVm9J5DM
The best rapper who never released a good album. A standout from his first.
19. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completelyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAF8D0ugyVk
Those Scott Walker-esque strings, chord changes, excellent vocals. This is the sound of the pain you feel when a loved one has died. Here's to hoping someone close to me passes soon!
18. A Perfect Circle - 3 Librashttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MAg9E5K3w
The best thing MJK ever did, he actually sounds vunerable here.
17. Joe feat. Mystikal - Stutter (Double Take Remix)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE56SMO3FQQ
GORGEOUS production and Mystikal sounds great over that chilly beat.
16. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatristhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE
Is this a hipster novelty song? Asking for real.
15. Destiny's Child - Jumpin' Jumpin'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjw92oUduEM
Like most DC songs, this one is all about Beyonce - love how her voice is in cadence with the hi hat.
14. Stone Temple Pilots - Sour Girlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxS4lqppZ6Y
DeLeo bros are masters of texture, and I think this is the first time I heard Weiland sing in a not-Jim-Morrison-aping way.
13. Radiohead - Idiotequehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNqv3nHyteM
This song legit scares me. Those opening chords, gawdam.
12. AIR feat. Some Guy - Playground Lovehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQ4reLS8Lo
Pink Floyd goes French.
11. Beck - Nicotine & Gravyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZ0hfFrQW0
Not his best song in terms of songwriting, but definitely his best in terms of song construction.
10. Filter - Take a Picturehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MAHQhKe7Q
Shitty industrial rock bands can occassionaly right great pop songs.
9. Eminem - Stanhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY
This is how you tell a story, Immortal Technique.
8. Etienne de Crecy - Am I Wronghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4dTob8avQ
The first house song I ever heard. Cool video too.
7. Mansun - I Can Only Disappoint Uhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEWFigyE8R0
Melodramatic as fuck but still a great tune.
6. Coldplay - Yellowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY
I really love the guitar work in this one and that chorus is huge.
5. Daft Punk - One More Timehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8
4. Faze Action - Moving Citieshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0krTFONiztY
3. Life Without Buildings - New Townhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZDTefLZ9M
Nearly too quirky for its own good, full-throttle yet understated. Sublime.
2. Three 6 Mafia - Sippin' on da Syruphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWKGXpl9E0
I think it was ol' Quinn who said he'd rather hear 36M repeat the same phrase over and over again than listen to some abstract rapper spit poetry.
1. Jay-Z - Big Pimpin' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgoqrgc_0cM
I miss when Jay Z had this much fire. I don't really care how detestable the lyrics are, he sounds perfect here.