It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2012
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:04 am 

pnoom wrote:
The first four tracks are a string quartet titled "Four Thoughts on Marvin Gaye".

-http://www.mediafire.com/?f928f3599j51cu8

This is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:33 pm 

Really looking forward to the new Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, MGMT, and Twin Shadow.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:11 pm 

Damn, new Grimes is quality.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:21 pm 

Records of the Sublime (Masterworks)

Killer Mike- R.A.P. Music-My only hope is that since they have raised the bar now to making filler-free knockouts, that rappers start doing the one producer-one album approach more.

James Blackshaw- Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death- Unbelievably beautiful. I've followed Blackshaw's career through pfork reviews, but this is his most enjoyable album he's ever done. The recording approach is very raw, you can hear fingers rub against strings during chord changes very audibly and even him breathing, but he complements them with touches of very subtle accompaniment making passages reach its utmost emotional impact, but never toppling over it. He also adds a vocalist in parts. It leans heavy romantic but along with gorgeous cover art, it feels more important than what it has been received as. Listen to this shit and don't tear up, I dare you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezfY3aHPqBM

Voices From the Lake- Voices From the Lake- With each passing year, song lists get more idiosyncratic for me while album lists stay pretty normal. And sometimes I think most artists are adapting to the iphone generation and making collections of tracks more than cohesive albums. VFTL have created one of the most rewarding album listening experiences for me in awhile, where its intricacies slowly evolve and progress the album so subtly that it almost seems like it hasn't progressed. And then the most dramatic moments dip into the slightest of grooves, but become epiphanies that overwhelm you. Donatto Dozzy's K last year was great, but this is patience that only the most mature of artists can exercise.

The Next Best

John Talabot- fIN-What I like about fIN is it almost sounds nothing like Talabot's singles he's released over the years, so the debut seems just as fresh and surprising as a wholly new artist.

Mouse on Mars- Parastrophics- Mouse on Mars fits with the maximalist trend that runs popular today. Idiology sounded crazy a decade ago, but now they seem to fit right in and their sound becomes revelatory in that precursing way. This album is just an utter joy to sit through with thier playful density at its most accessible.

Chromatics- Kill for Love- I think you really need to listen to Night Drive and the Italians Do It Better compilation from 07 to really get the juice out of this (add Glass Candy's BEATBOX too). The length of this may overwhelm you, but it's really what separates it from the pack. It's like an entire journey through the world of druggy italo-disco pop that you'll get the most out of it if you just completely give yourself to it and be in that world.

Maya Jane Coles- DJ Kicks- Exclusivity can be overrated. If you tried wrapping your head around Levon Vincent's Fabric 63 this year and just couldn't penetrate through its uncompromising density, this release should help relieve all that brain tension. London DJ's are hit or miss, but when they hit, my god, they fuckin hit.

Spiritualized- Sweet Heart, Sweet Light- It's really the first time since their 90's output where I actually feel spiritualized after I listen to it. I only ask that they baptize me with their gospel-noisy-joy in repetition goodness and they do. I prefer this as a comeback record than Songs in A & E. Portishead had Third, PJ Harvey had Let England Shake, and now they have this.

Grimes- Visions- An addicting record, with a beautifully accessible sound. The best tracks are when the hooks almost come across as lullabies, where she'll exploit the high pitch of her vocals into something dangerously catchy. At first seemingly sweet, only to become beautifully dark. "Oblivion" is the prime case, around halfway through it goes somewhere that you didn't think it was going, but feels entirely right for the song

Frankie Rose- Interstellar- Idk why, but I find this record really comforting. It probably has to do with her sounding like Laetitia Sadier I'm guessing, and the band plays at a very unobtrusive energy level, creating this contemplative pop sound that moves like a worry-free walk. I put this on when I want to clear my head.

Honorable Mentions (Solids)

The Caretaker- Patience (After Sebald)- What the Caretaker does seems simple to me in concept, but his art just speaks to me man. I hate to say it's like aural instagram (I just wanted to say that), but the "pictures" he takes actually become something entirely different aesthetically and emotionally when he transforms them.

Circle of Ouroborus- The Lost Entrance of the Just- I could probably count as much sounds-like-Joy Division bands as there is sperm cells in my balls, but this sounds far and away like its own thing. There's more of a lean toward black metal than anything else. Beautiful stuff.

The Walkmen- Heaven- A farewell record that's probably not even a farewell record, but it only seems that way because the Walkmen show facets from their entire career. The angst has turned into acceptance and looks forward.

Beach House- Bloom- My mind has been elsewhere for beach house to really repetitively listen to Bloom (or any of their shit tbh). Maybe thats a sign of its worth? Idk. I may have burnt out on them too much over the years on top of ppl around just beginning to get into them. I'll come back to it after a long absence in the latter part of the year, but I think it's still a great album.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:53 pm 

Interesting to see the James Blackshaw record so high on your list. I haven't actually listened to it yet, but I have it dl'ed and I love James Blackshaw, so I expect good things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 pm 

very well written jake, and props on your picks.

did not know about circle of ourobouros and looks like they have some 25+ albums and eps. im gonna check out this one, sounds interesting

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 am 

I quite liked Circle of Ouroborus's Eleven Fingers from last year as well as their split with Urfaust.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:45 pm 

oh man I can't wait for the new xx and flylo albums. Most anticipated releases of the year 4 me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:05 pm 

Machine Head wrote:
oh man I can't wait for the new xx and flylo albums. Most anticipated releases of the year 4 me

wait what!?!

edit: oh, I see, oh. oh. OH.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 pm 

Need a towel?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Voices From the Lake- Voices From the Lake

Yuss.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm 

stream Onra - "Deep in the Night [EP]"

This is so good, yall. It sounds like what Dilla's ghost released after a year in France.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:53 pm 

my top ten favorite albums of the year so far:
1. Beach House - Bloom
2. Silversun Pickups - Neck of the Woods
3. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
4. Future of the Left - The Plot Against Common Sense
5. Chromatics - Kill for Love
6. Poliça - Give You the Ghost
7. Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
8. The Shins - Port of Morrow
9. The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know
10. Fanfarlo - Rooms Filled with Light

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Chromatics- Kill for Love- I think you really need to listen to Night Drive and the Italians Do It Better compilation from 07 to really get the juice out of this (add Glass Candy's BEATBOX too). The length of this may overwhelm you, but it's really what separates it from the pack. It's like an entire journey through the world of druggy italo-disco pop that you'll get the most out of it if you just completely give yourself to it and be in that world.

I'm not otherwise well versed in the italo disco-revival scene, but Kill for Love by Chromatics is slowly becoming my one of my favorite albums of the year. "Back from the Grave" (and possibly "The Page" and "Lady". "At Your Door" is an outside chance.) is similarly going to be very high on my year-end songs list.

Might need to check out some of the other stuff on the Italians Do It Better label if the rest is as good as "Kill for Love".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:31 am 

Pitchfork only likes Channel Orange because I do

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next