It is currently Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Production Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:54 am 

This is the thread to post, comment, analyse, and gush over songs you feel to be gorgeously-produced.

I'm going to start with a track that many would call trash, but to me it's freakin' perfect. The whole album is a perfect example of '80s Beach Boys done right:

Post subject: Re: The Production Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:20 am 

The fact that Spotify is not available in my country makes my life inherently less worthwhile :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm 

Mitch NZ wrote:

I'm going to start with a track that many would call trash, but to me it's freakin' perfect. The whole album is a perfect example of '80s Beach Boys done right:

Well, not quite the WHOLE album..."California Callin"" is a pretty bad track, a shameless attempt to turn a bunch of references to old songs into a new song. B^)

But, yeah, that's a good album. "She Believes In Love Again" is beautiful, "Getcha Back" has the right balance between nostalgia and originality, and "Passing Friend" is a wonderful Culture Club song that happens to have Carl Wilson on lead vocal. Replace "California Callin'" with the wonderful "Somewhere Near Japan" from the next album (which wasn't much of an album) and you'd have, indeed, a perfect example of '80s Beach Boys done right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:11 pm 

Nickelback - Dark Horse

really brings out the emotion in lyrics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:20 pm 

For real, Mr. Flash's 'Sonic Crusader' has great contemporary pop production at its hands. Very glimmering, yet funky. Another record that deserves a mention would be Finnish 'horn alt. rock' group Tundramatiks' recent powerhouse 'Ajo' and its excellent production, can't find an album like that anywhere else:

I like how the horns have been brought out, the sound is clear yet very chaotic. Organic but modern. Works for both the 'rockers' and the more laid-back numbers, that flexibility appeals to me a lot.

Also, out of the classics, Soundgarden ended up with the greatest rock production I've ever heard, on 'Badmotorfinger' and 'Superunknown' respectively. Perfect balance between different instruments, as well as power. Cornell's voice sticks out perfectly, yet doesn't take over the music. There's a lot of great hidden tidbits to be found deeper in the mix, something I've always loved about my favourite bands.

Screw the Youtube quality but you'll catch the drift. Definitely the ultimate production aim for one of my own projects... Especially the latter one! Grabs your hands and slams you to the ground with that muscle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:00 am 

Seeing it in the background of the picture of Steve Jobs' hi-fi setup reminds me: Joni Mitchell's Blue has maybe the best production of a stripped down singer-songwriter album I've ever heard. I remember I was unhappy with the tinny quality of the CD I bought, so I did a fair amount of research trying to figure out the best printing/master/remaster/whatever the hell and downloaded it in FLAC, but now I can't figure out which version it was. All I know is, the M4As I converted those FLACs into sound amazing. PM me if you're interested.

Edit: My FLAC was sourced from this I'm pretty sure:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6463-joni- ... yl-lp.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:01 am 

Ever since trying to learn a bit of production myself, I've been able to identify a lot of cases of bad production as the factor holding me back from really connecting with the music. This may be especially prevalent in Pitchforkcore, but it does go well beyond that. And at least at this point, production has me liking the 2014 FKA twigs more than the 2014 War on Drugs, even though I feel the latter should be better for me in almost every way. But with poor production, particularly in the area of compressed dynamics, it becomes much more difficult to appreciate what's inside the album.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:21 am 

I actually find something appealing about the compressed dynamics in some of the WoD songs. Remaining within a consistently encompassing wall of sound while "within" that consistency there are... I don't really know how to describe it... shoulda-been-dynamic-changes that still register on some level as dynamic changes, just with reference to something other than volume...? I don't know. It's a weird effect, but it's something I know I like about the album. It's just difficult to articulate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:39 am 

I guess if you look at each song as more of a still painting rather than a story it works well enough. I just feel the album could have been more gripping.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am 

I'm certainly no expert on things production, but I think Nicolas Jaar is damn good, to the point where I think I enjoy how his records sound more than their actual content for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:26 pm 

I agree with your take on Blue, dreww, produced very well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:43 am 

I'm a big fan of production! I'm glad it exists

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 am 

Rudy Rules wrote:
I'm a big fan of production! I'm glad it exists

Get lost Rudy, you're not a TRUE production fan.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:57 pm 

:cry: