DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: good music articles!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 pm 

I divided the old thread in two.

I'll start off with one of my all-time favorites.

Questlove's "review" of D'angelo's Voodoo

Post subject: Re: good music articles!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:57 pm 

that's the best thing ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 pm 

not an article at all, just reminded me of artists talking about artists

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 pm 

haha that is pretty awesome. reminds me of this:

"that's the point of selling crack! it's supposed to be a secret!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 pm 

http://warmvoices.blogspot.com/

anagram record reviews. so good

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:56 am 

that is brilliant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:50 am 

Quote:
Years later, RATM's music has lost none of its revolutionary power. In 2009, fans of serious music struck a blow against corporate control of the music industry by buying enough copies of RATM's "Killing in the Name" (Sony/Epic) to edge Joe McElderry's "The Climb" (Sony/Syco) out of the top spot on the UK Christmas charts. Can the Dictatorship of the Proletariat be far behind?

:lol:

Those were all so good.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 am 

As I said in the comments to this, I don't go to enough concerts anymore to know how true this is. Thoughts?

http://mostly-retro.com/2013/05/12/shut ... comment-58

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 am 

Just another "things were better back in my day" article. I've never had an experience like that.

And this section is just old man yelling at clouds bullshit.

Much has been made about how the Internet is killing the music industry, but when people say that, they’re only talking about sales. They’re not talking about the real problem; the fact that the Internet has made people care less about music than ever before, because the effort to get music has been eliminated almost completely.

It used to be that if you wanted to listen to your favorite song or favorite band, you had to get in a car/bus/train and go to a store that sold music, and it typically cost you a decent amount. Before iTunes took over the world, new CDs often cost between $13 to $18. And frequently a hunt was involved. If you liked a band who wasn’t mainstream, or even popular on the “”alternative” circuit, then you had to do some digging to find their music, call around, maybe even go to a record store 45 minutes to an hour away and hope they remembered to hold you a copy. Getting music required time, effort and money.

Now if someone wants a song, they just go online and click a button to buy it. And if they can’t afford it, they don’t save their money so they can get it next or the week after, they just steal it. There are positives to that, sure. Now it’s easier than ever before for unsigned artists to get the attention they deserve. People now have access to their music collection no matter where they go. And yes, record companies deserved a swift kick in the ass for the prices they were charging for CDs in the late 90s, but there’s been a bad side to the democratization of music as well: when music lost its monetary value, its emotional value went away with it.

With so much music at people’s fingertips, often at no cost to them, the emotional investment one puts into any band is often diminished. When you don’t have to search out, or save money for a CD or LP, you care less about it. It means less to you because you put less thought into it in the first place. For many people, an album is no longer a physical object to be sought after, desired and then cherished once it is bought, now it’s just a collection of digital files on a mobile device. They’re easily obtained and just as easily disposed of. With such little emotional attachment to the music, it’s no wonder so many people easily tune out at concerts and instead babble on to their friends about whatever until they hear that one hit or one song they love the most.

Of course, modern society has given them plenty of practice with tuning out.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:56 am 

Quote:
when music lost its monetary value, its emotional value went away with it.

The near orgasmic emotional experiences I've had listening to such albums as Set Yourself On Fire and Manners for the first time say different.

The only argument similar argument I've seen with any merit is that people were more like to invest more time in albums they paid substantial amounts of money for than they do in an age where there's so much to choice that it's much easier to write it off and try something else. Even then it's nowhere near generally true, particularly amongst hardcore music fans.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:08 pm 

Most of that post is obviously bullshit, but I do think smartphones have had a negative effect on concerts. Whenever you're tweeting or taking pictures or, the worst, filming a show, you really take yourself out of the moment. But that's not really a big issue because you can avoid it by just not doing it. To me the big issue with smartphones at concerts is the same issue with smartphones anywhere in public, which is that it's the normalization and acceptance of surveillance. You should feel comfortable to do really be freaky at shows (and I think most young people still do...the guy who wrote this blog post seems like an old fogey and the bands he's grown up with are starting to get boring live). But check out this video:

In 2007, this drunk chick would have just humped the tree, everyone would have laughed and gathered around, and that would be it. Now it's on record.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 am 

Semi-relevant:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 am 

Hang wrote:
Just another "things were better back in my day" article. I've never had an experience like that.

And this section is just old man yelling at clouds bullshit.

Much has been made about how the Internet is killing the music industry, but when people say that, they’re only talking about sales. They’re not talking about the real problem; the fact that the Internet has made people care less about music than ever before, because the effort to get music has been eliminated almost completely.

It used to be that if you wanted to listen to your favorite song or favorite band, you had to get in a car/bus/train and go to a store that sold music, and it typically cost you a decent amount. Before iTunes took over the world, new CDs often cost between $13 to $18. And frequently a hunt was involved. If you liked a band who wasn’t mainstream, or even popular on the “”alternative” circuit, then you had to do some digging to find their music, call around, maybe even go to a record store 45 minutes to an hour away and hope they remembered to hold you a copy. Getting music required time, effort and money.

Now if someone wants a song, they just go online and click a button to buy it. And if they can’t afford it, they don’t save their money so they can get it next or the week after, they just steal it. There are positives to that, sure. Now it’s easier than ever before for unsigned artists to get the attention they deserve. People now have access to their music collection no matter where they go. And yes, record companies deserved a swift kick in the ass for the prices they were charging for CDs in the late 90s, but there’s been a bad side to the democratization of music as well: when music lost its monetary value, its emotional value went away with it.

With so much music at people’s fingertips, often at no cost to them, the emotional investment one puts into any band is often diminished. When you don’t have to search out, or save money for a CD or LP, you care less about it. It means less to you because you put less thought into it in the first place. For many people, an album is no longer a physical object to be sought after, desired and then cherished once it is bought, now it’s just a collection of digital files on a mobile device. They’re easily obtained and just as easily disposed of. With such little emotional attachment to the music, it’s no wonder so many people easily tune out at concerts and instead babble on to their friends about whatever until they hear that one hit or one song they love the most.

Of course, modern society has given them plenty of practice with tuning out.

:facepalm:

This is an amalgam of just about everything I can't stand about uber capitalists and old farts.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am 

wah wah wah i'm losing my hegemony on information wah wah wah

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Semi-relevant:

Ha, he does make a good point.