DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: DDD Song Tournament 2013 : Jigsaw Falling Into Place Wins
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 pm 

Rules:

Every 24 hours 2 matchups will be posted. Listen to both songs all the way through before picking which song you think is better in each matchup. At the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and the songs with more votes will move on to the next round. I will provide Grooveshark playlist when songs are available.

Final Round

Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place (10) vs. Christopher Parkening - Evening Dance (3)

Last edited by Adequate Gatsby on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 94 times in total.

Post subject: Re: DDD Song Tournament 2013 : Round One
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 pm 

I sincerely appreciate you doing this. BUT, cut it down to 2 match-ups a day, cause DDD bunch is a sorry lot and they'll never listen to 8 new songs at a go. Plus, might overwhelm the listener. Also, the grooveshark playlist thing is highly highly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:40 pm 

We discussed this in the Noms thread. We decided on 4 so it doesn't drag out too long. Too many a day and people won't want to listen to all those songs. Not enough and round one will go on forever.

pave wrote:

i looked back through some of the others tourneys. the only successful one had 6 matchups in the first round, but it also had a ton of popular-as-fuck songs that people probably didn't have to re-listen to in order to vote in those matchups. the ones that faded out the quickest had 2 matchups a day. one of them had 4 and it lasted a bit longer. but the sample size for this sucks cause we've really only had the one successful tourney that i remember.

to me, anything more than 4 seems like it would put people off, but something about two just makes me think 2 months from now this will have burned out completely while still being in the first round.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:46 pm 

im confused, did i miss the thread to nominate songs?

edit: yes i did. oh well. can i still vote?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 pm 

Built to Spill - Sidewalk- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfr1Bl_e98
XTC - Earn Enough for Us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8wnKMI6Jkc
White Fence - She Relief - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7WLon3OZvc
Osborne - 16th Stage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cVKEnSrIc
The Marmalade - Reflection of my Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kyxTdLuH-8
Slowdive - Dagger- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CczmMDvQDa0
Madder Mortem - Get That Monster Out of Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOYDZsSgyg
The Flaming Lips - Fight Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcFKlEfu_eU

Here is all the songs on youtube for whatever reason. I started doing this before I noticed the playlist :oops:

Good stuff, AG. I'll have my votes in a moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:21 am 

1. Built to Spill - Sidewalk vs. XTC- Earn Enough For Us

2. White Fence - She Relief vs. Osborne- 16th Stage

3. Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life vs. Slowdive - Dagger

4. Madder Mortem - Get That Monster Out of Here vs. The Flaming Lips -Fight Test

Already know and love Sidewalk, Fight Test and Dagger and none of those were ever really challenged, but Earn Enough For Us was closest. That Osborne track was divine. Get That Monster Out of Here...well, the title sums up how I feel about its place in the tourney.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:26 am 

Built to Spill - Sidewalk
vs.
XTC - Earn Enough For Us*

Sidewalk was a great song from a band that I don't mind based on what I've heard but also don't really care about.
Earn Enough For Us was my nomination and one of my favourite songs of all time. Pretty hard to vote against it.

White Fence - She Relief
vs.
Osborne- 16th Stage

She Relief has that psychedelic sound that I never really cared for. It was enjoyable none the less.
The first few notes of 16th stage pretty much guaranteed a vote from me and I could've just voted and not listened to the rest but I couldn't stop. This was a really great discovery and why I love these tournaments. Easy vote.

Marmalade - Reflections of My Life
vs.
Slowdive - Dagger*

It would take a special song to beat Dagger by Slowdive. Music is a little more than just hearing the song and making a judgement - I've had so many great experiences with Souvlaki. Reflections of My Life was a cute little tune and really easy on the ears. I can't imagine listening to it again but it was nice.
Dagger is one of the best songs from one of my favourite albums. I don't want to just vote for the songs that I've already heard but the three that are in this round all happen to be favourites.

Madder Mortem - Get That Monster Out of Here
vs.
The Flaming Lips -Fight Test*

Metal is a genre that since I fell out of love with it when I was 15, I haven't been able to get back into. If I were to get back into it I don't think it would be through a band with that grating progressive metal singing. Easily the worst song of the round.
Fight Test is my favourite song from Yoshimi and probably my favourite FLips song. I love it and every time I hear it, I love it more.

Heard before*

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 am 

Built to Spill - Sidewalk vs. XTC- Earn Enough For Us
I know both of these songs and I like them both. Like "Earn Enough for Us" more tho, so it gets my vote

White Fence - She Relief vs. Osborne- 16th Stage
"She Relief" was OK. "16th Stage" was vastly superior

Marmalade - Reflections Of My Life vs. Slowdive - Dagger
Hadn't heard the Marmalade song before. OK, but its no "Dagger"

Madder Mortem - Get That Monster Out of Here vs. The Flaming Lips -Fight Test
I couldn't finish that Madder Mortem song. Fight Test all the way.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 am 

Thank you brethren for the 16th stage love! It's on Osborne's self-titled full length which was underrated and was on my 00's album list.

For convenience and enjoyment, I have created a new playlist on Spotify as the song matchups continue aptly named "DDD Tourney 2013"

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 am 

4. Madder Mortem - Get That Monster Out of Here vs. The Flaming Lips -Fight Test

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 am 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
For convenience and enjoyment, I have created a new playlist on Spotify as the song matchups continue aptly named "DDD Tourney 2013"

I've searched but I can't see shit

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 am 

Built to Spill - Sidewalk vs. XTC- Earn Enough For Us

The appeal of Built to spill has eluded me so far. Sidewalk sounds like the 90sest track ever, and although I'm not a fan of this dude's voice, this song has enough melody to be enjoyable. Earn Enough for Us sounds pretty similar to a Talking Heads song, and for that it gets my vote. Very catchy.

She Relief was really weird, like a cross between late Beatles and Flaming Lips. I really liked the Osborne song, it goes without saying that it's relazing. I'll vote for it despite the fact that it's over the length limit :cop:

I was surprised at how much I liked the Marmalade song, but Dagger is a classic, I can't fault it.

Madder Mortem... Jesus Christ... I'm going to assume this was an AbeVV nom. Or possibly Fincher? Fight Test is another classic that's difficult to beat.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 am 

"Sidewalk" didn't do that badly, but XTC was definitely the winner for me.

I'd forgotten about "Reflections of My Life", so that's something good to come out of this.

It was all me, Mitch.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 am 

never heard Built to Spill before, but the Sonic Youth fan in me is liking this song. little breakdown about a minute and a half in is my favorite part. good song.../ the XTC song here is awesome. i've heard XTC in passing before, but never a proper listen to anything they've done. i'm gonna check them out now.

She Relief starts off excellently, but i definitely don't like this Lennon-esque melody/vocals thats happening here. to each his own, but its not my thing. sorry, Bones.../ one minute into 16th Stage and it already has this one in the bag. i'm a sucker for these types of songs. take a simple musical idea, add another simple musical idea, repeat process until song has built to a really complex musical piece but each aspect is still simple. meanwhile, you get to appreciate every part of the build and take the journey as it unfolds.

nothing wrong with Reflections, just not my thing.../ Dagger is simple and enjoyable. least favorite matchup of the first round though. if i ranked all 8 of these, these two are both in the bottom half.

yet another song (Monster) that is just not my thing. not bad by any means (none of these are), just not for me.../ Fight Test is one of my favorites of this round. first listen, but checking more Flaming Lips out in the future for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:42 am 

1. Built to Spill - Sidewalk vs. XTC - Earn Enough for Us
Both songs were decent enough, but neither really stood out. Went with the XTC track, which I like slightly better.

2. White Fence - She Relief vs. Osborne - 16th Stage
Easy pick. "She Relief" was pretty meh; "16th Stage" was ethereally gorgeous. I need to check out some more from this guy.

Probably the best match-up of the round. I really liked "Reflections..."; it had that Sixties vibe I'm just a sucker for. Unfortunately for Marmalade, I'm an even bigger sucker for pensive, introspective stuff like "Dagger". I need to check out more Slowdive.

The Madder Mortem bored me. "Fight Test" is an absolute masterpiece, one of my favorite songs, and one of my four noms. No-brainer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1263 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 85  Next