It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Things That Bother You (Music Edition)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:17 pm 

bonus tracks. It might be ok on a second cd, but when they're piled at the end of the most perfect closer, it's very baneful

Post subject: Re: Things That Bother You (Music Edition)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm 
wantabodylikeme wrote:
bonus tracks. It might be ok on a second cd, but when they're piled at the end of the most perfect closer, it's very baneful

This kind of adds to this, but re-issues of albums that re-order the track listing or add in the "bonus track" in the middle of the album. That's such a purist complaint, but it does bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:45 pm 

Yeah that's particularly common on jazz albums from the 50s it seems.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 pm 
Dreww wrote:
Yeah that's particularly common on jazz albums from the 50s it seems.

I was specifically talking about the Undertones first album, but same difference right? :p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:45 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:

Especially where many classic albums, which work beautifully as a whole, run under 50-60 min. and then get remixes etc. tacked on the end just because there's so much time/space left on the disc.

The first CD edition of Pet Sounds was the first thing I thought of when reading this, but I guess it could go either way for me. The backgrounds track doesn't work imo, but Hang On to Your Ego and Trombone Dixie are OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:00 pm 

On vinyl, albums that are unnecessarily slit across two LPs. Loud City Song is not a two-sided album, but it's definitely not a four-sided album.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm 

You guys realize there's this magical button you can press when you don't want to listen to the music anymore? Actually, there's a couple. You could try the "stop" button if you have an old school CD player that still has one or the power button or - my favorite - the pause button. Pretty nifty stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:16 pm 

That's blasphemy. I dont want to do anything when the album finishes. I just want to sit and ponder it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:

Although I will provide one counter point. When they're stuck at the end and are also awesome tracks (in which case you wonder why they were bonus). So for example Epicloud by Devin Townsend has two tracks at the end that certainly are not part of the general album flow (which begins and ends with the same musical idea) but are both high quality and fit in with the tone of the album. In general though yes (and joe's complaint on reordering and adding in the middle on bonuses is a huge bane).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

Dreww wrote:
On vinyl, albums that are unnecessarily slit across two LPs. Loud City Song is not a two-sided album, but it's definitely not a four-sided album.

Word so hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:34 pm 

Generally, every way that hipsters have influenced music. Too lazy to list them all, but they all bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:

Yeah, I HATE it when people try to give me more value for my money. :zoid:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

Location: I avoid cultural appropriation by only listening to white music
wantabodylikeme wrote:

I can understand this, but you know, you could just hit the stop button at the right time, problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:46 pm 

Dreww wrote:

Totally agree. I've seen so many reissues treat LPs like they can only hold 10-12 minutes a side. Y'know you can put a good 23 minutes on there and it will sound FINE provided it's not dubstep or some shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:09 pm 

Seamus wrote:
Generally, every way that hipsters have influenced music. Too lazy to list them all, but they all bother me.

curious to hear, even if boo boo is eventually going to shit on this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next