DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discussion
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
Image




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BALLOTS FOR 80's ALBUMS & SINGLES ARE DUE BY THE END OF THE DAY OCTOBER 31st, 2014

Image

THE RULES

1. Each poster wanting to participate is to comprise a list of no more or less than 50 entries for albums or singles. This is law, no exceptions. I will not accept lists of 49 or 51 entries. Either submit 50 of them or I will not count your list. If you haven't heard 50 albums or singles then take advantage of other posters' recommendations in this thread or around DDD.

ALBUM LISTS= LP, EP, or Live LP's/EP's. They all must be official releases as shown on rym.

COMPILATIONS ARE A CASE BY CASE BASIS, ASK ME FIRST. Generally if it's a release that has much older material in it released from prior decades, it usually won't be counted.

2. ALL RELEASES MUST HAVE BEEN RELEASED AS AN ALBUM OR SINGLE between 1980-1989. To know this you will have to see if it appears in an artist's album/single section on RYM.

3. You are highly encouraged to be counting the single as a WHOLE, b-side and all. All of these songs on a single will be counted as one entry on the list.

So really it's almost like you're voting for mini EP's here for the most part. Tho yes, there are many just 1-song singles released.

4. The release date given on rateyourmusic is the relevant date for determining eligibility, even if it's clearly wrong. The original page of said single will be its relevant release year for this, any other American/Scandinavian/Icelandic/Middle Earth dates will NOT be considered.

5. Forum Spotlights also apply as well if you want.

COMMON ALBUMS THAT ARE USUALLY PUT IN THE WRONG DECADE BUT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS LIST

Public Image Limited - Metal Box (a.k.a Second Edition)


You got a boner too?



Some resources:
Most Rated Albums per Year (According to RYM - just search for the year)
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/HZpontHU/

100 Best Selling Albums of the 1980s
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltgu ... I1ATRSODTZ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltgu ... EO3LES66EL

The 100 Best Albums of the 1980s (According to FACT Magazine)
http://www.factmag.com/2013/06/24/the-1 ... 0s-100-81/

A collection of critical lists
http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/publications.htm

This site has a "100 best" for each year 1980 through 1989
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/

Diction's 80's Hip Hop Guide
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/diction/ ... __top_100/

Scaruffi's 80's Jazz Guide
http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/80.html

25 Best Pop Albums of the 1980s
http://www.mrmediatraining.com/2013/08/ ... the-1980s/

I Love the '80s (VH1 Special - All 10 episodes are on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwrBPqxd0E


Last edited by joe c on Wed May 14, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 3379
Location: Berlin, Germany
joe c wrote:
4. The release date given on rateyourmusic is the relevant date for determining eligibility, even if it's clearly wrong. The original page of said single will be its relevant release year for this, any other American/Scandinavian/Icelandic/Middle Earth dates will NOT be considered.

joe c wrote:
COMMON ALBUMS THAT ARE USUALLY PUT IN THE WRONG DECADE BUT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS LIST

Public Image Limited - Metal Box (a.k.a Second Edition)

Don't these rules contradict each other?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:05 am
Posts: 9029
holy hell this is a long time from now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
pauldrach wrote:
joe c wrote:
4. The release date given on rateyourmusic is the relevant date for determining eligibility, even if it's clearly wrong. The original page of said single will be its relevant release year for this, any other American/Scandinavian/Icelandic/Middle Earth dates will NOT be considered.

joe c wrote:
COMMON ALBUMS THAT ARE USUALLY PUT IN THE WRONG DECADE BUT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS LIST

Public Image Limited - Metal Box (a.k.a Second Edition)

Don't these rules contradict each other?


The original page says 1979, so no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
monga18 wrote:
holy hell this is a long time from now


Yes. '80s the underrated. But, yeah. We're all getting older, we all have more shit to do. I figure this'll give everybody some time to listen (and hopefully delve a little bit deeper into the decade. The '80s was just as vast as the '00s, and deserves some attention since most of us were born in the latter half of the decade or the '90s - either way not enough to really know the decade).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 3379
Location: Berlin, Germany
joe c wrote:
pauldrach wrote:
joe c wrote:
4. The release date given on rateyourmusic is the relevant date for determining eligibility, even if it's clearly wrong. The original page of said single will be its relevant release year for this, any other American/Scandinavian/Icelandic/Middle Earth dates will NOT be considered.

joe c wrote:
COMMON ALBUMS THAT ARE USUALLY PUT IN THE WRONG DECADE BUT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS LIST

Public Image Limited - Metal Box (a.k.a Second Edition)

Don't these rules contradict each other?

The original page says 1979, so no.

Exactly. So why is it eligible then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:40 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 4671
Location: here. hi.
What do we do about 7" and 12" versions of singles?

There are some singles which I want to list the 12" version, others the 7" because one or the other is my preferred version of the A-side (this especially effects New Order: some songs I prefer the 12", others the 7").

Or, either version might have a B-side I particularly enjoy more than the other (this effects the Smiths: The 7" version of "William It Was Really Nothing" backed by "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" is the main version on RYM, but the one I'd probably list is the 12" version because of "How Soon is Now?")

So in those cases do we list the version we want or the main version on RYM?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
pauldrach wrote:
joe c wrote:
pauldrach wrote:
joe c wrote:
4. The release date given on rateyourmusic is the relevant date for determining eligibility, even if it's clearly wrong. The original page of said single will be its relevant release year for this, any other American/Scandinavian/Icelandic/Middle Earth dates will NOT be considered.

joe c wrote:
COMMON ALBUMS THAT ARE USUALLY PUT IN THE WRONG DECADE BUT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS LIST

Public Image Limited - Metal Box (a.k.a Second Edition)

Don't these rules contradict each other?

The original page says 1979, so no.

Exactly. So why is it eligible then?


Fixed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
Ryan wrote:
What do we do about 7" and 12" versions of singles?

There are some singles which I want to list the 12" version, others the 7" because one or the other is my preferred version of the A-side (this especially effects New Order: some songs I prefer the 12", others the 7").

Or, either version might have a B-side I particularly enjoy more than the other (this effects the Smiths: The 7" version of "William It Was Really Nothing" backed by "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want" is the main version on RYM, but the one I'd probably list is the 12" version because of "How Soon is Now?")

So in those cases do we list the version we want or the main version on RYM?


Let's just go with the main version. I feel like things could get messy real quick with allowing multiple versions of a single, but I will allow a different version to be used if enough people want to include it. However, I'd like to only have one issue of a single on the list, so it'd have to be a consensus.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
Make this an announcement please.

Done. - Brett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:14 pm
Posts: 2584
Location: Enhance!
Thriller would definitely be top 10, potentially top 5, for me nowadays. I always liked it, but now I'm in love with it. And yes, even "The Girl is Mine"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
I added some links if you guys want to check it out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4130
joe c wrote:
Done. - Brett


Hey thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:10 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 4671
Location: here. hi.
Just realized that this is eligible:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/singl ... n_calling/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: 1980's Albums/Singles List & Discus
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 3638
Chart: RYM Albums of the 80s

*searches list*

...

Chart: RYM Albums of the 80s [excluding metal]

! :thumb:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page