It is currently Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Awful, awful criticism (Boo Boo vs. the Internet Pt. IV)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am 
There's very little virtue in We Are Undone, no emotional state upheld so much as examined and then discarded. It plays like a flag of surrender, singer/guitarist Adam Stephens and drummer Tyson Vogel sounding wrung out by their own integrity. Maybe it's a creative adaptation for a band born and raised in San Francisco: The city today, hypergentrified by web-enabled strivers and rich kids, bears little resemblance to the one that began nurturing their talents more than a decade ago. In its often inchoate roar, We Are Undone bears little resemblance to the laser-focus punk-blues of their earlier work. The songs just aren't as good. - Jonathan Zwickel reviewing We Are Undone by Two Gallants

What I'm reading: "The songs aren't as good because San Francisco has rich kids in it now."

Post subject: Re: Awful, awful criticism (Boo Boo vs. the Internet Pt. IV)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... t-19930902

It's not Bjork's best album, but still very good. I just think it's funny how defensive this writer gets about Bjork not rocking anymore from what he was used to with The Sugarcubes. "Painfully eclectic" will be my epitaph.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm 

Location: I avoid cultural appropriation by only listening to white music
wantabodylikeme wrote:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/debut-19930902

It's not Bjork's best album, but still very good. I just think it's funny how defensive this writer gets about Bjork not rocking anymore from what he was used to with The Sugarcubes. "Painfully eclectic" will be my epitaph.

Holy shit that was bad, but it's Rolling Stone so it's par for the course.

Have you seen this?

I don't agree with all of the guy's commentaries on the albums being reviewed, but fuck if Rolling Stone hasn't been dead fucking wrong about practically everything.

Rolling Stone has this uncanny habit of dismissing new genres of music until they reach the peak of their popularity, they also have a habit of changing their opinions on artists once they reach veteran status, like how they mercilessly trashed McCartney's early (and best) solo work but by the 80s when McCartney actually did become as sappy as critics always accused him of being, well then he shat gold breaks and could do no wrong.

They have panned the fuck out of at least half of the albums that are now on their 500 greatest albums of all time list when they were first released, I don't think they have ever successfully predicted a trend in music, but once something is popular enough they sure as fuck milk it for all it's worth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am 

boo boo wrote:
Have you seen this?

About Abbey Road:

"Side two is a disaster."

:lol: Holy fucking shit! I'd read dozens of entries by that point and thought nothing would surprise me. I was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:36 am 

I notice that a lot of music critics but especially the ones at Rolling Stone lack any sort of aesthetic core, nothing is ever just ok, something is either literal orgasm or literal holocaust, that kind of hyperbole is the foundation of shitty sensational journalism.

From day one Rolling Stone had very specific biases, they worshiped the San Francisco bands but shat on psychedelic bands that came from anywhere else, they worshiped the big 4 British Invasion bands and couldn't accept the fact that other British bands didn't want to sound exactly like them and they had and continue to have a huge bias towards singer-songwriters, yet they hated Neil Young in the early days for being too dark and depressing, meanwhile they were going apeshit over John Denver and Carly Simon albums.

And of course there was never a new genre or counterculture they didn't try to do everything in their power to discredit, especially hard rock, metal and hip hop and even punk was something they ignored and dismissed for a long time even though nowadays they never STFU about how it was the great rock n roll renaissance, they didn't get on board with punk until it was perfectly fashionable to do so and that's exactly the same time they decided that all prog rock was the antichrist, and they're only now acknowledging electronic music because of fucking Skrillex.

But the biggest and most annoying bias of them all is the massive hard on they have for veteran musicians, I swear to fucking God even if Bruce Springsteen and U2 don't release albums this year they will still find a way to shoehorn them into their end of the year list.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:40 am 

Yeah, Rolling Stone are always attempting to pander to the one-level-below-mainstream trends and raise them up into mainstream status. Say what you will about Pitchfork and SPIN, but at least they succeeded in creating their own trends (maybe "malleable network of mutating aesthetic biases" is more accurate) in their heydey.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:03 am 

Rolling Stone at least isn't as insufferably snobby as it used to be but that might only be because it's become so mainstream.

Regardless, I'd still take Rolling Stone over fucking Allmusic, which as opposed to Pitchfork represents the other extreme of bad music criticism, where every writer is so bland and gutless and vague as fuck and uses the same generic, simplistic critic speak and they're so not engaged in what they're writing about that they might as well be an algorithmic music review generator, I want to torture Stephen Thomas Erlewine to death for my birthday.

Last edited by boo boo on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:08 am 

lol. idk, I kind of like allmusic but it's mostly for their advanced search functionality. Very good for exploring different genres and subgenres but not completely reliable in terms of star ratings. Old music ratings are unreliable for being too traditional, new music ratings are unreliable for not being enough in line with consensus. Like they have Yeezus rated higher than MBDTF. I'm sure there are some people who find that cool, and I would accept it happily from a more idiosyncratic publication, but for allmusic it's just wrong. I pretty much never read their reviews though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 am 

The user ratings are the only thing I ever take into consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm 

For boobs/whoever else:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:03 pm 

Please tell me he's trolling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:07 pm 

fuckin, I love hipster meltdown discussions so much, let's do this

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:10 pm 

Wish I could participate but I'm tired as fuck, maybe tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:30 pm 

Boooooooooooo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 pm 

awesome wrote:
For boobs/whoever else:

I read that several times and I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say