DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 206  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Treefingers: Work on Ur 2011 Lists
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:09 pm 

they've been due, im still making it. I've gathered all the lists that have been posted in this thread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:27 pm 

1. Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
2. Primordial - Redemption At the Puritan's Hand
3. Moonsorrow - Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa
4. 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room
5. Helrunar - Sol
6. Falkenbach - Tiurida
7. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
8. Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
9. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Agony
10. An Autumn for Crippled Children - Everything
11. Fen - Epoch
12. Opeth - Heritage
13. Jeff Vaona - Equinox
14. Obscura - Omnivium
15. Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm 

Nesquik wrote:
1. Septic Flesh - The Great Mass

I really liked the first couple tracks on this album, but on the whole there just didn't seem to be enough ideas to sustain a whole LP's worth of material. Not a bad album by any means, but rather uninspired outside of a few places.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 pm 

Fuck you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 pm 

Nah, just kidding. I really liked it, but to each his own.

Honestly, though, I got really lazy with 2011. I'm not too happy with that list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:12 pm 

im actually glad people are voting for the great mass. It had so much momentum early on but i never see its recognition on various lists elsewhere. It was the most listenable metal album for me as I grew tired of the whole drawn out atmospheric shit that saturated critical opinions. I love the fine line it walks between cheese and brvtality, never tipping over to one side throughout its duration. A great and massive feat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:22 pm 

Have you posted your lists, Jake?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm 

not yet my nig, i struggle with mine all the time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03 am 

Oops. Didn't post mine here. Count me in if it's not too late.

01. Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
    02. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
    03. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
    04. The Antlers - Burst Apart
    05. Destroyer - Kaputt
    06. Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow
    07. Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
    08. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
    09. Araab Muzik - Electronic Dream
    10. Wild Beasts - Smother
    11. M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
    12. The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
    13. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
    14. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
    15. Cut Copy - Zonoscope
    16. Washed Out - Within and Without
    17. Battles - Gloss Drop
    18. Active Child - You Are All I See
    19. My Morning Jacket - Circuital
    20. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
    21. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne
    22. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
    23. TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light
    24. Real Estate - Days
    25. Cass McCombs - Wit's End

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:12 pm 

Bruno_Antonio wrote:
Ohh .. you judged my musical taste by just such a list. This is incredible. :thumb:

Admittedly I don't know much about music, i've posted this historically but i've listened to a lot of top 40 music and I really just don't understand it. And I don't mean that I can't comprehend the music, I mean I don't understand the appeal and as to why people listen to it. While every once in a while something good will come on that I can get into (Adele, Kanye, Florence etc...) the vast majority of whats played is so horrible that it's baffling (here i'm referring to music like LMFAO, Bruno Mars, One Republic, Black Eyed Peas, Pitbull etc...) this music isn't hip hop, nor is it dance nor is it pop or rock music- it's some sort of incomprehensibly indistinguishable genre of music that is just flat out banal. It's so derived and uninspired that I really cannot appreciate it on any level. I can't help but to think that they're writing music specifically for degenerates who only appreciate music to the extent that it's the noise they listen to while they get drunk and dance (there's no problem with this in terms of partying and having fun but I cannot appreciate this music from an artistic stand point). Other stuff in the top 40 I can actually listen to their material on an artistic level, but this shit being released by hacks like LMFAO is ridiculous to me.

I know I probably sound like Bruce here but understand that the only reason I hold this sentiment is because I genuinely believe that if people actually liked music, even in the most simplistic sense, they should have an insatiable attitude towards music instead of listening to what's being handed to them by the clubs and record companies. This is why I can't applaud people who listen to top 40 music and consider themselves true music fans.

Last edited by chicken sandwich on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm 

Bruce hates art and sees value exclusively in vulgar entertainment without the slightest regard for quality, so no, you sound nothing like him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:40 pm 

chicken sandwich wrote:
This is why I can't applaud people who listen to top 40 music and consider them true music fans.

I enjoy a pretty decent amount of top 40 radio, even while sober, and I have been a pretty avid musician (flute, guitar, etc) since I was six years old. I don't mind you not applauding me, but I swear I actually like music :lol:

That having been said, I think this was a pretty bad year for the top 40. I only liked Beyonce's "Party," Chris Brown's "Look at me Now," Rihanna's "Only Girl in the World" (this actually may have been 2010), "Super Bass," and a few Lloyd songs. Oh yeah, and "Party Rock Anthem," more as a guilty pleasure though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm 

to clarify I meant listens to top 40 music exclusively or actively, not in general. I also don't want to sound pompous but it just seems to me like a lazy way of seeking music. I listen to top 40 also on occasion and yes this year the only songs I really enjoyed were look at me now, moves like jagger and pumped up kicks. I don't think anything from Watch the Throne or Take Care charted but if so that also. Also How Deep is Your Love but I never once heard that song played on the radio even though I thought it charted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:43 am 

chicken sandwich wrote:
I also don't want to sound pompous but it just seems to me like a lazy way of seeking music.

I guess my question is, why is this important? Is something necessarily better because it was harder to find?

The other thing I don't understand is how this bruno fellow's list is any more mainstream than yours, which is almost exclusively pitchfork-approved indie mainstream stuff. And I wouldn't use that as a knock against you, because all the albums I've heard in their entirety off your list are pretty dang good. It's just, there's nothing to be pompous about, because everyone checked out the Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver records.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:47 am 

I'm not a big top-40 guy at this point--in fact most of the time I'm not even aware of what's on the charts anymore. But I don't see why you're so against some of this stuff. Bruno Mars, for example--everything I've heard by him has been good, and "Just The Way You Are" to me is a legitimately great record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3083 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 206  Next