DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Greatest Solo Piano Works
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome, gray. For Chopin, a good CD is Murray Perahia's performances of Ballades 1-4; Etudes Op. 10/3-4; Mazurkas Op. 7/4, 17/4 & 33/2; Nocturne Op 15/1; and Waltzes Op. 18 & 42. For Beethoven, Solomon's performances of the last 6 piano sonatas (27-32) and performances by Kempff, Brendel and Rubenstein of piano sonatas 8, 14 & 23 are recommended. (Kempff's CD also includes #21, and the other 2 also include #26.) The last 6 sonatas are more intense, but the others may be more accessible for those new to Beethoven's piano sonatas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 pm 

I'd say that Horowitz is my favorite interpreter of Chopin. Perahia is excellent as well

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 am 

Brian wrote:
Paul, generally it takes a pretty long while for classical works to be established as claasic or important pieces, and that might be the issue with those two works. I could find a mention of "Für Alina" in any of the sources I use, and only one mention of "Spiegel im Spiegel". According to that source, the latter is a cello sonata. From what I gather, it seems that Part is more noted for orchestral and choral music than for solo piano music.

Yeah, he probably is. Anyway thanks for the answer. Had to check what you said about "Spiegel im Spiegel". Apparently it was originally written for piano and violin. I didn't know that at all, only knew it as a solo piano piece. But Pärt often changed the instrumentation of his works, so it doesn't really surprise me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:16 am 

Brian wrote:
You're welcome, gray. For Chopin, a good CD is Murray Perahia's performances of Ballades 1-4; Etudes Op. 10/3-4; Mazurkas Op. 7/4, 17/4 & 33/2; Nocturne Op 15/1; and Waltzes Op. 18 & 42. For Beethoven, Solomon's performances of the last 6 piano sonatas (27-32) and performances by Kempff, Brendel and Rubenstein of piano sonatas 8, 14 & 23 are recommended. (Kempff's CD also includes #21, and the other 2 also include #26.) The last 6 sonatas are more intense, but the others may be more accessible for those new to Beethoven's piano sonatas.

I appreciate it. I'll probably post again after I get some.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:43 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:57 pm 

Quote:
61. Prelude in C sharp minor, Op. 3, No. 2 - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Should be in top 20, listen to Gilels play.

Quote:
14. Ballade No. 1 in G minor - Frideric Chopin

This is the greatest piano piece ever written.

Here's one of my favourite interpretations, although it's cutted for a movie. Listen to presto con fuoco part from 2:55.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQk3Zh71dGA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:27 pm 

Greatest? Not quite. My personal favorite? Quite possibly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 pm 

J.S. Bach didn't "technically" compose much for "piano" (the early pianos of his era didn't have the same quality available to Mozart or Beethoven). Most of his keyboard works were intended for harpsichord or organ (though they do work very well on piano, too). I'm not saying they shouldn't be included-It's just an interesting side-note.

My personal preferences would include; Scott Joplin's Rags (I know they're not exactly "classical"), Grainger's Country Gardens and Sibelius' Sonata in F or the Three Sonatinas. I would take out one of the Shostakovitch or Prokofiev pieces, Copland (I like his later, more popular style-I don't care for the early atonal stuff), and Schoenberg. Just my preferences-it's a good list.

Last edited by musiclistsareus on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:01 am 

musiclistsareus wrote:
J.S. Bach didn't "technically" compose much for "piano" (the early pianos of his era didn't have the same quality available to Mozart or Beethoven). Most of his keyboard works were intended for harpsichord or organ (though they do work very well on piano, too). I'm not saying they shouldn't be included-It's just an interesting side-note.

My personal preferences would include; Rameau, Grainger, Sibelius and Nyman. I would take out Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Copland (I like his later, more popular style-I don't care for the early atonal stuff), and Schoenberg. Just my preferences-it's a good list.

Not a fan of Shostakovich or Prokofiev?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:06 am 

I like Prokofiev's Classical Symphony and a few others. Shostakovitch seems somewhat cold and "technical". Both are okay, but I prefer many others to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

musiclistsareus wrote:
I like Prokofiev's Classical Symphony and a few others. Shostakovitch seems somewhat cold and "technical". Both are okay, but I prefer many others to them.

That's not really a good answer as to why they should be taken out. This list doesn't exist to cater to your preferences

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm 

That's not really a good answer as to why they should be taken out. This list doesn't exist to cater to your preferences[/quote]

I wasn't trying to change your preferences. I'm just sharing mine.