DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: BACH
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:24 pm 

I feel that the guy deserves his own thread. At least it's a place for us to post our favorite Bach performances and random info...

flute arrangement of the Ciaconne - what an idea!!! beautiful performance, as well...

part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTMkLhh_hQ

Post subject: Re: BACH
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:54 pm 

i've posted this before elsewhere but feel it's worth posting again...

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:56 am 

does anyone else that he truly deserves the number one spot on the greatest composer list?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 pm 

as with everything on ddd, it depends on what the criteria are! if influence is a big factor (which it should be), then mr beet garden deserves that spot. if we talk originality, then it's probably a tie, since beethoven's immense formal innovations are offset by bach's prophetic harmonic genius.
however, i have a feeling that bach's influence will continue to grow in the coming decades and hundreds of years (in fact it has grown tremendously in the past 100-120 years, whereas beethoven's direct influence has waned significantly since the 19th century).

this is such a gorgeous piano duet transcription of Siciliano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvaudYKYjrY

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 pm 

Bach is the classical composer I have the most plays of on my last.fm (385!)

I like the famous, cliche stuff the most. Brandenburg concertos 2 and 5, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:31 pm 

In general I enjoy classical music from about the mid 19th century onwards more than what was before it. But Bach is something special, on a totally different level than any of his peers. I guess he'll always be my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:22 am 

The criteria for greatest composer isn't strictly defined. As you said, George, that would define who between LBV, WAM, and JSB gets the top spot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:28 pm 

Not quite the composer Handel was, but a fine musician in his own right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:31 am 

3:00 to the end...

rosalyn tureck is one of the very few bach interpreters whose genius equalled or at least approached that of the composer himself.
and tureck was 81 when she performed that concert! to be in such total physical and mental control at that age...

but @ 7:39 - just how incompetent of an editor do you have to be.... :facepalm: that silence is the crux of the whole performance!!!!!
i don't think sharon isbin would have approved (i hope not) of such aesthetically criminal job of editing. oy vey...

but overall i must say this documentary is very good, with a few insightful interviews and excellent performances all around. i gave it as a gift to two of my teachers. and it just seems like the kind of thing that would appeal to a very wide range of people, from those just getting into bach to those intimately or even professionally familiar with his music.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:46 am 

i hope everyone has already seen this, but for the as-of-yet hapless...

if 0:12 doesn't put a smile on your face, czech yo pulse... actually if that whole clip doesn't make your life at least 1% better, do pm me as we need to have a long deep talk about life... :-D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:39 am 

Richter's recording of the WTC is joyous indeed, and I prefer the sound and performance to Gould's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 pm 

George wrote:
i hope everyone has already seen this, but for the as-of-yet hapless...

if 0:12 doesn't put a smile on your face, czech yo pulse... actually if that whole clip doesn't make your life at least 1% better, do pm me as we need to have a long deep talk about life... :-D

I actually just watched that yesterday! I've been listening to a lot of Gould recently. Have you seen the video of him talking to animals?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:07 pm 

Glenn Gould was an alien from outer space. Or you know what, the truth (that he was a man who came out of a woman's vagina like everyone else and walked the same earth you and I do) is even more incredible. Amazing video.

Bach was also an alien/superman. And in so being he was more ourselves than we are, knows us better than we do. Exhibit A:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Dreww, if you like Bach's keyboard concertos, you might want to check them out on period instruments. Bach wrote them with the harpsichord rather than the piano in mind, so all else being equal, period instruments will better capture the sound he was aiming at. The version I listen to is by Trevor Pinnock/The English Concert.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 pm 

Ton Koopman's harpsichord recordings are also rather nice, as are his organ recordings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next