DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Jazz Guitarists
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:42 am 

yeah i understand that.

just going by "big picture" type importance, i would assume the list would be Django > Wes/Christian > Pass/McLaughlin > Metheny... although i won't push Metheny dropping to 6th. but i do question why he would be placed above Christian. although i understand if maybe historical importance isn't the focus. but still, the historical importance of those top 3 (Django, Wes, Christian) isn't even close to the rest of the list imo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:19 am 

Just heard about this guy. Sad story. Sorry for the Dutch subtitles.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:09 am 

Guys its here !!!

The new ALL INSTRUMENTAL (nearly) George Benson album called 'Guitar Man' and what a great album it is.

Had it 2 days and played it half a dozen times and its wonderful. The playing is smooth, soulful and of the highest quality as you would expect. Part solo and part with a band that includes the 'legendary' Joe Sample on piano.

Preview

I am currently open to receive requests

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:12 am 

nice one seeker. a little too smooth for my tastes, but great to see he's still slinging that axe. shoot me a listen anyway if u dont mind.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:28 am 

Gonna have to pick up that benson record. I like his smooth stuff when hes playing guitar.

Is it me or is johnny smith really underrated on this list? When i listen to what he was doing on the Moonlight in Vermont (a record that predates the debuts of wes, pass, burrell and ellis amongst others) record, he was playing stuff that was wayyyy ahead of its time guitar wise. His chord melodies and lines are absolutely flawless and his technique is absolutely sick, his stuff holds up against any jazz virtuoso that succeeded him. Im somewhat ignorant when it comes to the history of jazz guitar, but from what ive heard and read he seems like a top 10 candidate.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:44 pm 

id probably have him in the top 10 or thereabouts, and higher on georges list too (tied with bickert, above hall). hes certainly greater than grant green. his pioneering mastery of closed chord voicings combined with an incredibly smooth tone and techniquel were certainly ahead of his time. the fact that his career ended prematurely and that there is so few live recordings of him is usually held against

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:09 am 

drunk rv is right.

i suppose it depends on perspective... i don't know if he'd make my top 10, but top 15 for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:44 am 

For those of you living in the So Calif area:
Sunday April 8th 2012
Allan Holdsworth is at The Coach House

http://www.thecoachhouse.com/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 am 

Rick wrote:
Sunday April 8th 2012

Rick

Apartl the AH, theres some tasty shows there - Steve Morse, Michael Schenker, Albert Lee, Coco Montoya, Pat Travers, Johnny Lang, Taj Mahal and David Lindley !!

Looks like a pretty cool venue !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm 

The Seeker wrote:
Rick wrote:
Sunday April 8th 2012

Rick

Apartl the AH, theres some tasty shows there - Steve Morse, Michael Schenker, Albert Lee, Coco Montoya, Pat Travers, Johnny Lang, Taj Mahal and David Lindley !!

Oh yeah ! Holds about 500 people, I've seen probably over 100 shows there. If you buy dinner seats you get next to the stage and get some tasty dishes with your show. I saw America 2 days after the 9/11 attack....what an amazing emotional show. They played a full early set and then another at 10pm or so and I saw both which btw were different. Everybody from Larry Carlton to Leon Redbone to Stanley Clarke to the Fabulous Thunderbirds and all points in-between.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 am 

Rick wrote:
The Seeker wrote:
Rick wrote:
Sunday April 8th 2012

Rick

Oh yeah ! Holds about 500 people, I've seen probably over 100 shows there. If you buy dinner seats you get next to the stage and get some tasty dishes with your show. I saw America 2 days after the 9/11 attack....what an amazing emotional show. They played a full early set and then another at 10pm or so and I saw both which btw were different. Everybody from Larry Carlton to Leon Redbone to Stanley Clarke to the Fabulous Thunderbirds and all points in-between.

If I relocate - can you get me a house ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:41 am 

The Seeker wrote:
Rick wrote:
The Seeker wrote:
Rick wrote:
Sunday April 8th 2012

Rick

If I relocate - can you get me a house ???

I could but to the best of my memory Akkerman has never played at The Coach House and I'm pretty sure that would seriously make you re-think the move.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 pm 

Man, Coryell is blowing me away lately. What a killer style.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:37 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Man, Coryell is blowing me away lately. What a killer style.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:41 pm 

That is freakin' astonishing. Damn he's just as good on acoustic as electric!

This is the one that's blown me away the most, especially his soloing toward the end....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next