It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 100 Greatest Jazz Guitarists
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:39 pm 

100 Greatest Jazz Guitarists

Jazz has had the broadest perspective of all genre's in music since it's first note to the present day. It is for that reason that this list is presented in the same manner, with respect to all the myriad forms, sub-genres & interpretations of Jazz that exist today and from the past.

Criteria: - These musicians were chosen for their originality, versatility, impact & influence within the genre. For their innovations & the technical ability for improvisation & musical expression in addition to their compositional skill & creative inspiration.

List compiled by and Editor: Rick Varner

Link:
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazz/best_jazzguitar.html

1. Wes Montgomery
2. Django Reinhardt
3. Pat Metheny
4. Joe Pass
5. Charlie Christian
6. John McLaughlin
7. Allan Holdsworth
8. Grant Green
9. John Scofield
10. Jim Hall
11. Lenny Breau
12. Kenny Burrell
13. Bill Frisell
14. Larry Carlton
15. Pat Martino
16. Mike Stern
17. Larry Coryell
18. Tal Farlow
19. Herb Ellis
20. John Abercrombie
21. George Benson
22. Lee Ritenour
23. Al Di Meola
24. Johnny Smith
25. Eddie Lang
26. Robert Conti
27. Ed Bickert
28. Bill Connors
29. Lonnie Johnson
30. Jimmy Bruno
31. Jimmy Raney
32. Hank Garland
33. Joe Diorio
34. Barney Kessel
35. George Van Eps
36. Oscar Moore
37. Les Paul
38. Billy Bean
39. Ralph Towner
40. Russ Freeman
41. Derek Bailey
42. Ted Greene
43. Martin Taylor
44. Howard Roberts
45. Charley Byrd
46. Sonny Sharrock
47. Chet Atkins
48. Scott Henderson
49. George Barnes
50. Gabor Szabo
51. Robben Ford
52. Charlie Hunter
53. John Pizzarelli
54. Kurt Rosenwinkel
55. Frank Gambale
56. Billy Bauer
57. Henry Johnson
58. Jeff Golub
59. Sonny Greenwich
60. Dean Parks
61. Steve Khan
62. Thom Rotella
63. Mark Stefani
64. Stanley Jordan
65. Ronny Jordan
66. Bireli Lagrene
67. Earl Klugh
68. Grant Geissman
69. Ken Navarro
70. Harry Volpe
71. Paul Bollenback
72. Lorne Lofsky
73. Nguyen Le
74. Russell Malone
75. Daryl Stuermer
76. Phil Upchurch
77. Ulf Wakenius
78. Hiram Bullock
79. Danny Gatton
80. Hank Garland
81. Tony Mottola
82. Bucky Pizzarelli
83. Norman Brown
84. Tiny Grimes
85. Tommy Tedesco
86. Mark Whitfield
87. Julio Fernandez
88. Marc Ribot
89. Philip Catherine
90. John Pisano
91. Emily Remler
92. Brian Hughes
93. Fitzroy Coleman
94. Mick Goodrick
95. Kevin Eubanks
96. Carl Kress
97. Wolfgang Muthspiel
98. Tuck Andress
99. Robert Normann
100. Howard Alden

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Jazz Guitarists
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:36 pm 

a solo from one of the most underrated/underrecorded great jazz guitarists ever: Billy Bean!

but, my favorite billy bean playing ever remains on "motivation"... can't find any clips of it though

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:25 am 

yeah george, billy bean is awesome. i love his very fat tone. sounds liek he uses very thick strings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:12 pm 

this is my opinion, i can't think of a more influential or important bebop player than tal farlow, maybe a couple guys who equal him (joe pass, who came a generation later, and maybe kessel and raney) ... whereas i think j-mac clearly tops diemola, and holdsworth, coryell, and metheny equal him as far as fusion goes.

also, since you count fusion as part of jazz, what about the likes of jeff beck, carlos santana, shawn lane, and steve morse: guys who came to fusion from the rock side?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 pm 

George wrote:
this is my opinion, i can't think of a more influential or important bebop player than tal farlow, maybe a couple guys who equal him (joe pass, who came a generation later, and maybe kessel and raney) ... whereas i think j-mac clearly tops diemola, and holdsworth, coryell, and metheny equal him as far as fusion goes.

also, since you count fusion as part of jazz, what about the likes of jeff beck, carlos santana, shawn lane, and steve morse: guys who came to fusion from the rock side?

I agree and that's why Di Meola is ranked lower than those fusion players you've noted. So where would you place Farlow and please offer an actual numerical placement instead of the ever popular 'higher'. Those of you who have been around for years, like you George, will remember (if your stubbornness hasn't clouded your judgement) that my lists have undergone many changes based on the recommendations of those who post and have always been considered if the criteria was the guide. Or have you forgotten that Ed Bickert began on this list @ # 99.

and finally, I didn't invent the phrase or the sub-genre known as jazz-fusion but since it's there and has a rich history within the genre of Jazz I incorporated it into this list (again) based on the broad perspective of this list criteria. Therefore I won't be considering those players known for their work in the area of rock-fusion. They are, I believe where they belong, on your all-genre list or on the rock lists of which we have many examples.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:58 pm 

so i see, but even if i cast aside my stubbornness and accept jazz-fusion and bebop as equally legitimate subgenres within jazz, my issue is you giving way more emphasis to fusion than to bebop...

if we look at the top 25:
11 of them are fusion guys: metheny, j-mac, holdsworth, coryell, frisell, sco, carlton, dimeola, stern, abercrombie, and ritenour
and only 5 are bebop: pass, burrell, breau, ellis, and farlow

(george benson qualifies for both lists so he doesn't affect the balance)

in the top 50, the breakdown is basically this:
9 swing: django, christian, lang, lonnie johnson, van eps, moore, les paul, atkins, barnes
12 bebop: pass, ellis, farlow, benson, breau, burrell, bruno, raney, garland, diorio, kessel, roberts
3 cool: hall, johnny smith, bickert
4 hard bop: wes, grant green, martino, conti
18 fusion: metheny, j-mac, allan, coryell, frisell, sco, carlton, al, stern, abercrombie, benson, ritenour, connors, golub, towner, freeman, henderson, szabo

other: greene, taylor, byrd, sharrock, bailey

in the second half of the list, the disproportion is even more staggering: i counted 24 fusion players, and only 2 bebop (bean and wakenius). even if we expand bop to include bebop, cool, hard bop, and post-bop, i still count only 16 guys (even including bireli lagrene, counting him as bebop rather than swing, though he qualifies as both).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:43 pm 

Well George I never thought of this as a math quiz.

Are you by any chance a baseball fan ?
Major League baseball each year selects for it's mid season All Star Game, 2 teams made up of the best (Greatest ?) players. However, they have a funny little rule that each major league team (sub-genre ? get it ?) must be represented regardless of the quality of that teams players season. So you always get 8 players from one team (sub-genre) or only 1 player from another team (sub-genre) etc etc. Every year several exceptional players are left off because one team's players
(sub-genre) or another is given more emphasis.

Now before you misinterpret again I'm not suggesting that fusion has any greater number of guitarists than bebop or any other sub-genre. By the same token you can't include from one sub-genre and exclude from another for the sole purpose of list balance or some exceptional and deserving players will not make the list. Talent is talent and if any particular era has produced more 'great' players than another era, those players should not be penalized for any funny little rules designed to artificially balance the scales.

and again and again and again....if you want to present numerical suggestions based on your math project I'll look at those suggestions. So if you think Ulf Wakenius is more important to bebop than
Gabor Szabo is to fusion than state those suggestions in that manner etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:45 pm 

You are impossible. :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm 

Raul wrote:
You are impossible. :banghead:

Only to those who practice the overt act of banging their heads against a wall.
Remember....."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." Albert Einstein
This list as with all my lists have remained consistent to the criteria set forth at their inception.
Knowing this, as all those who argue, who wail and moan without constructive invention as a counterpoint, therefore knowing the outcome and yet still expecting a different result fall into the above category.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm 

here's a recent discovery for me: a wonderful armenian-canadian guitarist, Levon Ichkhanian, expertly combining jazz with armenian and arabic influences... he is a mature artist, all he needs is more exposure, it seems to me.

studio version of the same tune, Siroun, which means Beautiful (and it is!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqQkrvtfu6k

Monte Carlo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMbZLMgIZ8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:27 pm 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
I just heard Russell Malone live. He is currently playing with Sonny Rollins on tour. An unexpected bonus to an already great concert. Kobie Watkins, on drums, also gave a very solid performance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:10 am 

This weekend I went to the Riviera Maya Jazz Festival three days in a row. This year was very "guitar centered" I guess: Mike Stern, Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin played this year (not together). I thought Stern was really good, I had never heard anything by him before so I came with fresh ears, he and Dave Weckl were great but what most impressed me (and I mean it totally blew my mind) was the bassist, Tom Kennedy - incredible! DiMeola was really meh for me, only song that remotely interested me was the encore, his hit, Mediterranean Sundance, but yeah, yawn... But McLaughlin was absolutely brilliant, the guy is just a master and his backing band was awesome as well, again, the bassist was off the hook, drummer too. Other artists that played included Elgar Djangirov, which was great, George Duke, Incognito (kept me dancing all their set!), Ivan Lins and The Manhattan Transfer.

Yesterday I just learned that at last year's festival, on the same day I went to see Herbie Hancock, Pat Martino played. It made me so pissed that I missed him! That night I arrived half through Al Jarreau's set and Pat had played before him. Damn it! :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:02 am 

Thanks for sharing, Kennedy has been on my Bassist list for years but I've never had the pleasure of a 'live' show.

Tom Kennedy
http://www.youtube.com/v/JjQ4YCJhZ5M?fs=1&hl=en_US

Last time I saw Stern he had Goines on Bass.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Xo8JyIgQAlI?fs=1&hl=en_US

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 am 

Yo Rick, I totally agree with you on how the main page should read "100 Greatest Jazz Guitarists". Jazz is very broad, so it would be ridiculous to label it as "100 Greatest Bebop, Gypsy Jazz, Fusion, Swing, Free Jazz Guitarists". It should not read as "100 Greatest Jazz and Fusion Guitarists". First off there are more than just Bebop and Fusion guitarists on this list. Another thing is how too many people have been complaining how too many "fusion" guitarists have been represented. I mean that is not true!! You have to remember these so called "fusion" guitarists have done many more genres than just fusion; maybe even more so than fusion. I mean Pat Metheny does post-bop, jazz-pop, and contemporary jazz. John McLaughlin has done a ton of post-bop and jazz work. John Scofield is probably more post-bop than fusion. Larry Coryell has done free jazz and post-bop. Larry Carlton has done smooth jazz and contemporary jazz. Mike Stern does post-bop and contemporary jazz. Al Di Meola does gypsy jazz and latin jazz. Allan Holdsworth pretty much does straigh ahead fusion/jazz, and he has even done some accoustic/mainstream jazz (yet according to wikipidia he has done instrumental/progressive rock. So I'm not too sure why Holdsworth has not been included in the rock section?). Pretty much I'm satisfied with the list. Except I think Holdsworth should be ranked somewhere between 20-27. I also think that Frank Gambale should be moved more in between 25-33. Gambale has become a tremendous impact on jazz guitar; especially with his innovative sweeping technique.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:33 pm 

Thanks, it's not often (on this thread ) that folks with an open mind choose to let their thoughts be known.