It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Psychedelic Songs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 pm 

Rick wrote:
Bruce wrote:
In my mind

After a detailed search of your posts on the site and the interaction between you and those who choose to attempt to converse with you on subjects of music and/or musicians it would be a leap of faith to expect any semblance of a true conversation.

As with all self described experts who puncuate their self absorbed point of view with profanity you will not find a welcome home on any of my threads which are reserved for thoughtful musical discussion.

Since you have already violated the registration agreement rules of conduct any such future posts will be deleted from these threads per the registration agreement which you agreed to when you first registered.

A post here has violated the following rule of ddd.com's registration agreement and therefore has been deleted........

8. Conduct: Posters are expected to keep a certain level of respect between each other while posting on the forum. Physical threats, mindless attacks of another posters character, or useless remarks meant only as jabs at someone else have no place on the forum. Posters who frequently abuse this rule will be banished from the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:32 pm 

R.I.P. Don Van Vliet

the great Capt Beefheart died today........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:47 am 

Yeah I know. It's horrible...

So what do you think of the Touch album I uploaded?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:03 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Yeah I know. It's horrible...

So what do you think of the Touch album I uploaded?

I couldn't open the file for whatever reason so I've taken your word for it and added the song you suggested. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 am 

Got it finally.......will listen when time allows. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:28 pm 

No problem. It's by far one of the trippiest albums I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:41 pm 

... just some trivia and a tune from 1966 .... Blackmore with Roy Harper .... (the Jimmy Page "Hat`s Off to Roy Haper", Roy Harper) ... many remember him singing lead vocals on Pink Floyd`s tune Have a Cigar ... and many say a very early influence on Syd Barrett .... Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxk8-obF9Y

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 pm 

gminer,
Thanks....Roy was a bit eccentric to say the least but I did like his stuff and still own
'HQ' and 'Stormcock' on vinyl. HQ featured the tune 'Grown Ups Are Just Silly Children' and
'When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease' and Stormcock featured 4 extended length songs with Jimmy Page ( LP credited as S Flavius Mercurius ) providing a great solo on 'The Same Old Rock', fyi.....on 'Flat Baroque and Berserk' is a fun tune called Hell's Angels with Roy backed by The Nice. I also still have 'The Madcap Laughs' by Syd on vinyl.......classics.

Really would like to sell my vinyl collection ( still have over a 1,000 lp's ) but e-bay and such are more of a headache than its worth to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:16 pm 

84. You're Gonna Miss Me - 13th Floor Elevators

I think it's a garage rock song IMO.

I am going to nominate the Beatles "The Word" to be on this list. Speaking of the 13th Floor Elevators they covered the Beatles "The Word" which was on Rubber Soul. They must have seen the psychedelic implications of that song. The psychedelic album cover of Rubber Soul surely gives it away in what direction the Beatles were heading towards. "The Word" with it's funky beat, odd drum breaks, a prolonged harmonium break and the psychedelic lyrics universal love concept that would soon be a trademark of many psychedelic songs including the Beatles own "All You Need Is Love". Those vocals too 'It's so fine, it's sunshine, it's the word love' and it's both a trippy and bouncy song IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 am 

Musicfan67 wrote:

From one of several reference pieces..........
Their debut 45 "You're Gonna Miss Me", a national Billboard #55 hit in 1966, was featured on the 1972 compilation Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968

Where do you see 'The Word' on this list ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am 

Rick wrote:
Musicfan67 wrote:

Their debut 45 "You're Gonna Miss Me", a national Billboard #55 hit in 1966, was featured on the 1972 compilation Nuggets: Original Artyfacts from the First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968

Where do you see 'The Word' on this list ?

I would put "The Word" in the 90's as I see it as a proto type hippie song to the Youngbloods "Get Together" the Beatles own "All You Need Is Love" and psych-pop songs of that era. The reason I don't put the "Word" any higher I don't see it as a full blown psych song but it has it's elements of being one.

When I first heard "You're Gonna Miss Me" I thought it was clearly garage rock. No big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:14 pm 

Rick wrote:
Musicfan67 wrote:

Well, that classic compilation also included "Lies" by The Knickerbockers and "Sugar And Spice" by The Cryan' Shames...great records, but it would be a huge stretch to call either one "psychedelic".

That said, "You're Gonna Miss Me" is definitely garage rock, but that doesn't mean it can't also be psychedelic. Genres do have overlaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm 

.. since the movie with the same title is out .... Season of the Witch by Donovan from 1966 should be a very high addition even though my own preference from that era a couple of years later was the Vanilla Fudge version .... Sunshine Superman and this tune certainly gets the UK Psych music era moving ....Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_kmIsmw2fcby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm 

gminer wrote:
.. since the movie with the same title is out .... Season of the Witch by Donovan from 1966 should be a very high addition even though my own preference from that era a couple of years later was the Vanilla Fudge version .... Sunshine Superman and this tune certainly gets the UK Psych music era moving ....Take care

Check out #18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:24 pm 

Rick wrote:
gminer wrote:

Check out #18

..excellent ... and an excellent list .... Take care

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next