DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Psychedelic Songs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:12 pm 

Rick wrote:
Should you want a separate Psychedelic Soul list I would take that request under consideration.

Maybe I'll do the psychedelic Soul list myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
I should have referred you to the list criteria which clearly states that this particular list excludes those artists known as vocal groups

Nice touch. Just like the Republicans with the voters photo ID stuff, you have found a sneaky way to keep out a lot of the black people.

To imply racism is not only an uninformed comment ( see my many Jazz & Blues lists and the Black artists that dominate those lists ) but also borders on grounds for a temporary or permanent ban from this site based on this site's agreed upon rules of conduct. You always choose to skate on very thin ice as pertains to interaction with those who post on these threads. Be careful. Call this an official warning !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:46 pm 

I love much of the music in this list. Grew up with it from the start of my teenage years. I definitely had hippy tendencies in my day, and this list represents a whole bunch of very deep and meaningful memories lol. Who needed acid when you had these tracks for trippin' out . Well, a few of my friends, but I never got into it.

Now on memory lane working through the list on YouTube. Interstalla Overdrive - Is it the short or the long version in the list here?

Will be interesting to find some gems I never heard before :)

Oh and I agree Strawberry Fields for Ever up the list!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 am 

What about my suggestion on "Planet Caravan"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 am 

stargazer121 wrote:
Now on memory lane working through the list on YouTube. Interstalla Overdrive - Is it the short or the long version in the list here?

The 9 minute studio version that appears on the "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" LP, most likely.

That being said, there are several tremendous live performances of the song that are floating around on the net.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:02 pm 

I adore Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan. Kinda psychedelic soft metal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:13 pm 

Rick wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
I should have referred you to the list criteria which clearly states that this particular list excludes those artists known as vocal groups

Nice touch. Just like the Republicans with the voters photo ID stuff, you have found a sneaky way to keep out a lot of the black people.

To imply racism is not only an uninformed comment ( see my many Jazz & Blues lists and the Black artists that dominate those lists ) but also borders on grounds for a temporary or permanent ban from this site based on this site's agreed upon rules of conduct. You always choose to skate on very thin ice as pertains to interaction with those who post on these threads. Be careful. Call this an official warning !

Lew has made it pretty clear that Bruce isn't getting banned.

You completely ignored the question of why Sly & The Family Stone isn't on the list. How does "I Want To Take You Higher" not qualify?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 am 

Brett Alan wrote:
You completely ignored the question of why Sly & The Family Stone isn't on the list. How does "I Want To Take You Higher" not qualify?

About the song: "I Want to Take You Higher" opens with a bluesy guitar riff played by Freddie Stone. The song, one of the most upbeat recordings in the Family Stone canon, is a remake of sorts of "Higher", a song from the band's 1968 Dance to the Music LP. "Higher" itself has its origins in "Advice", a song Sly Stone co-wrote and arranged for Billy Preston's album The Wildest Organ In Town in 1966.

"Higher" made the setlist for the band's performance at Woodstock alongside "Dance to the Music" and "Music Lover"; Sly Stone used the song during a memorable interlude, during which he had the entire Woodstock crowd repeating, at three in the morning, the song's frantic cry of "higher!"

Even though it was a b-side, "I Want to Take You Higher" became a Top 40 hit of its own in 1970. That same year, Ike & Tina Turner released a cover of the song that became a hit as well, peaking 4 spots above the original Family Stone recording on the US pop charts (at #34), and one position below the original on the R&B singles chart.

Great song, great band, great musicians, not psychedelic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 am 

Rick wrote:
Brett Alan wrote:

About the song: "I Want to Take You Higher" opens with a bluesy guitar riff played by Freddie Stone. The song, one of the most upbeat recordings in the Family Stone canon, is a remake of sorts of "Higher", a song from the band's 1968 Dance to the Music LP. "Higher" itself has its origins in "Advice", a song Sly Stone co-wrote and arranged for Billy Preston's album The Wildest Organ In Town in 1966.

"Higher" made the setlist for the band's performance at Woodstock alongside "Dance to the Music" and "Music Lover"; Sly Stone used the song during a memorable interlude, during which he had the entire Woodstock crowd repeating, at three in the morning, the song's frantic cry of "higher!"

Even though it was a b-side, "I Want to Take You Higher" became a Top 40 hit of its own in 1970. That same year, Ike & Tina Turner released a cover of the song that became a hit as well, peaking 4 spots above the original Family Stone recording on the US pop charts (at #34), and one position below the original on the R&B singles chart.

If you 're gonna quote Wikipedia, why leave out the most important part in relation to this discusion? I think it's exceedingly disingenuous of you to not put the section below in your post.

Legacy
From May 10, 1997 through February 28, 1998, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum presented their first temporary exhibit entitled I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969

Obviously "I Want To Take You Higher" is considered to be a psychedelic record.

http://www.amazon.com/Want-Take-You-Hig ... 0811817253

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:

If you 're gonna quote Wikipedia, why leave out the most important part in relation to this discusion? I think it's exceedingly disingenuous of you to not put the section below in your post.

Legacy
From May 10, 1997 through February 28, 1998, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum presented their first temporary exhibit entitled I Want to Take You Higher: The Psychedelic Era 1965-1969

Obviously "I Want To Take You Higher" is considered to be a psychedelic record.

http://www.amazon.com/Want-Take-You-Hig ... 0811817253

Disingenuous ? interesting though wrong choice of words. The definition of that word is 'not candid or straightforward'. Obviously, I couldn't be more straightforward and candid by quoting word for word the description of this particular song as referenced in Wiki to it's placement on the US Popcharts & on it's R&B charts placement.R&B/Pop !.....And that IS the most important part of this discussion.....the song's description.
The song ! Not somebody's choice for the title of a museum exhibit or the title of a book that an author and his editior thought would be a good marketing tool to grab potential readers attention. The song and I repeat, great song, great band, great musicians, not psychedelic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:41 pm 

From the ddd.com rules of conduct;

Warnings: A warning can come from either an administrator or a moderator. All moderator warnings will carry the same weight as one by an administrator, and should be respected equally by the poster. Any disregard of that will lead to a harder punishment.

Bruce has posted comments here that have been removed because of the above violation. He recieved an offical warning and continued to disregard and disrespect as stated above.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:54 am 

stargazer121 wrote:
I love much of the music in this list. Grew up with it from the start of my teenage years. I definitely had hippy tendencies in my day, and this list represents a whole bunch of very deep and meaningful memories lol. Who needed acid when you had these tracks for trippin' out . Well, a few of my friends, but I never got into it.

Will be interesting to find some gems I never heard before :)

Oh and I agree Strawberry Fields for Ever up the list!!

You should definitely check out these bands then:
Fifty Foot Hose, United States Of America, Ultimate Spinach, The Red Krayola, It's A Beautiful Day, and Silver Apples.
Rick has gotten me into so many of these "obscure" artists....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 pm 

stargazer121 wrote:
I adore Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan. Kinda psychedelic soft metal.

I think it deserves a mention on this list.

Editors note:
Thanks for the suggestion but I'll pass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 pm 

Armenia City In The Sky.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:02 am 

Bones wrote:
Armenia City In The Sky.

What a surprise, another Who-related suggestion from Bones!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next