It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Progressive Rock Artists
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:20 pm 

Marillion was the most important prog band from a time where prog wasn't very important at all anymore... Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd were the ones who established the genre in terms of sound and popularity, and i'd say those should all be above Marillion...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:44 pm 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
I can't help but agree that Magma should be high. Possibly Top 10.

If they were top ten they'd end up above greats like Camel, Gentle Giant and Van Der Graaf Generator. I don't think they great enough for that. Top 20, sure. Top 10? No.

Hendrix wrote:
Marillion was the most important prog band from a time where prog wasn't very important at all anymore...

Prog was unpopular, not unimportant. They were instrumental in ushering in the new wave of Prog of the last couple of decades. Given Prog unpopularity, it makes Marillion's successes even more impressive. When bands like ELP, Yes and Genesis were releasing pop-rock Marillion were releasing platinum selling Prog albums.

Hendrix wrote:
Yes, KC, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd were the ones who established the genre in terms of sound and popularity, and i'd say those should all be above Marillion...

All of those bar Jethro Tull are above Marillion. Give me a convincing argument and I'll move Jethro Tull up a spot to be above Marillion as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 pm 

Yeah I know about Magma, which is why I said possibly. They do have massive amounts of influence in what they did with concept albums, insane rhythmic section work, and in single-handedly creating their own genre though.

I'd probably put Gentle Giant in the Top 10 though because they really pushed prog to its limits.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 am 

If Rush is above ELP, then somethings seriously wrong with this list.

ELP has more skill, more influence, and, at their respective peaks, more popularity, though in lasting popularity, Rush wins. I still think ELP is a better band, a more definitive prog band, and definitely deserving of a spot above Rush. If I had to make a list, it would be:

1. Yes
2. King Crimson (1 and 2 are somewhat interchangable, though I'm partial to Yes)
3. Genesis
4. Pink Floyd
5. ELP
6. Rush
7. Jethro Tull
8. Dream Theater
9. Mothers of Invention
10. Traffic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:25 am 

"complex, dynamic, & multi-dimensional playing. For their original use of multi-movement compositions involving theme, structure and scope in addition to their impact on this vital genre of music. "

Rush vs. ELP

Complex, dynamic, and multi dimensional playing: ELP, clear win here
Original use of multi movement compositions with theme, structure, and scope: ELP easy win, Tarkus and the whole Brain Salad Surgery album crush Rush and 2112
Impact and Influence: ELP, overall, has had more influence as a band, more Prog bands have been influenced by ELP than Rush, from what I've heard and seen in interviews

popularity isn't even part of the criteria, for that matter, I'd push Rush down quite a bit more actually

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:49 am 

Rush still does obliterate in those three categories though, so #6 seems perfect, but if lasting popularity is part of this list, Rush should probably be #5.

I'm thinking:

1. King Crimson
2. Yes
3. Genesis
4. Pink Floyd
5. Emerson, Lake & Palmer
6. Rush
7. Frank Zappa
8. Jethro Tull
9. Traffic
10. Gong

I'd put Pink Floyd above ELP because what they did with soundscapes and various production techniques really influenced all the electronic artists that came after them.

Also, where do you guys think Can, Neu!, Ash Ra Tempel, and Faust should be placed? They're probably the Top 4 Krautrock artists, so I'd think probably Top 50 at least for Can and Faust and Top 70 for Ash Ra Tempel and Neu!.

Last edited by beaverteeth92 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:47 pm 

Lasting Popularity would seem a bit weird in a criteria for a genre, which had about 7-8 of real popularity :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 pm 

Which is exactly why lasting popularity is such a huge deal for prog. So many incredible bands broke up after one or two albums, and so many are pretty much unknown.

Like look at Dün. They did one insane Zeuhl album in 1981 that was at least as good as anything Magma put out and broke up right after that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:37 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
ELP has more skill, more influence, and, at their respective peaks, more popularity, though in lasting popularity, Rush wins.

Skill isn't a massively important factor in greatness. Most Prog bands beat the shit out of Pink Floyd when it comes to technical ability, but that doesn't make them greater in the slightest.

Rush have had a huge influence on modern Prog bands, particularly Prog Metal bands like Dream Theater and Queensryche. ELP weren't nearly as influential as their Symphonic Prog contemporaries like Genesis or Yes.

What you consider the respective band's peaks? ELP haven't come close to releasing an album as popular as 2112 or Moving Pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:47 pm 

Well, it's hard to put objectively, but i'd say it's something about ELP being extremely popular at a point, and thus helping to establish and popularize the genre... Rush had influence on the later bands yes, but ELP do have some at least indirect influence (though obviously more than just that) on the later prog too... ELP drove use of harmonics to a completely new level, which not even Yes used, and thats no small deal. Rush didn't do that much new, and that isn't important when you look at all the bands that cite them as influence, but if creativity has a part on this list, which i could imagine it had, the genre taken into consideration, then Rush score quite low there, and ELP score high, while it also adds to their influence...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:29 am 

ELP sucked on every single damn album. Rush only sucked on some. Checkmate, ELP fans.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:44 pm 

The only album ELP sucked on was Love Beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 pm 

It did. People tend to consider it part of their legacy in the same way that they consider Gary Cherone part of Van Halen's legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:13 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:

52. The Beatles

:thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:25 pm 

I still think ELP should be above Rush

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next