It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 55  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:19 am 

Sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:22 am 

So Nesquik, do you want to handle this or should I (I must say it's really weird to have one DDD list on my RYM page with all the others on yours)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 am 

I don't want to do it. Fuck the 80s.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:12 am 

:lol: K. You were the one complaining that it never happened.

Anyways, what are people's general opinions on Load?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:20 am 

Location: JK Simmons has won the Oscar for Best Supporting Ac-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I like Load. Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are two of their best songs imo, Mama Said is really unique, Hero of the Day and Sleeps are good, and say what you will, but Ronnie sounds cool. The rest of the album is mediocre to suck though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:54 am 

Sherick wrote:
I like Load. Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are two of their best songs imo, Mama Said is really unique, Hero of the Day and Sleeps are good, and say what you will, but Ronnie sounds cool. The rest of the album is mediocre to suck though.

Bleeding Me is kind of tainted by the mid 90's esque production and the goofy country thing James had going on vocally. But that middle breakdown riff...fuckin A that's awesome. If that was a thrash break by any other band it would be universally beloved.

Hero of the Day...I want to say this song is shit because of it's alternative-ballad type of nature, but I just can't. I was watching some of the songs from the S&M show on youtube and that one came up as a recommendation. Decided to listen to it out of curiosity. Now I've relistened to songs out of nostalgia and I still enjoy them, but I wouldn't say they are objectively good, but this? This was fucking awesome. And the symphony complemented it really well IMO.

Now Mama Said, that had no place on a Metallica record whatsoever. If James wanted to record a solo album of some kind, that would be fine, but not here.

Last edited by JRA on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:04 am 

Load: Image

If you redo an 80s list, mine won't change at all. I've been really lazy with listening to new (to me) albums.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:57 am 

Location: JK Simmons has won the Oscar for Best Supporting Ac-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
JRA wrote:
Sherick wrote:

Bleeding Me is kind of tainted by the mid 90's esque production and the goofy country thing James had going on vocally. But that middle breakdown riff...fuckin A that's awesome. If that was a thrash break by any other band it would be universally beloved.

Hero of the Day...I want to say this song is shit because of it's alternative-ballad type of nature, but I just can't. I was watching some of the songs from the S&M show on youtube and that one came up as a recommendation. Decided to listen to it out of curiosity. Now I've relistened to songs out of nostalgia and I still enjoy them, but I wouldn't say they are objectively good, but this? This was fucking awesome. And the symphony complemented it really well IMO.

Now Mama Said, that had no place on a Metallica record whatsoever. If James wanted to record a solo album of some kind, that would be fine, but not there.

Aw, they changed it so it sucks :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:57 am 

Nesquik wrote:
If you redo an 80s list, mine won't change at all. I've been really lazy with listening to new (to me) albums.

Which will make the process go that much smoother.

and Sherick, your comment went completely over my head.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:16 pm 

Do you have any interest in re-doing the 90's list Nes?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:05 pm 

We had a lot of people submit for the 90s. Probably not enough now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:38 am 

Yea, I just looked now and there were 11 people who contributed. The most we can get today on a topic is 6. And that's on a good day.

Side note: Who the hell is Unkie Clams? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am 

Should we reconstruct a list for greatest metal songs? Even MJ7 said himself that he doesn't have time to keep up with it anymore.
And hey, more discussion is never a bad thing...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 am 

i'm looking for new metal bands to listen to. i used to have a fairly large catalog, but got rid of it at some point. i don't know why. now i want to start rebuilding my catalog, but i'm really out of touch. here are the bands i listen to the most out of what i have left. similar recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

opeth
nevermore
the sword
tyr
iron maiden
black sabbath
blind guardian
candlemass

other bands i like but don't listen to as much:

metallica
agalloch
witchfinder general
witchcraft
ensiferum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:31 am 

Quote:
opeth
nevermore
the sword
tyr
iron maiden
black sabbath
blind guardian
candlemass

other bands i like but don't listen to as much:

metallica
agalloch
witchfinder general
witchcraft
ensiferum

Excellent taste. Really surprised to see Witchcraft and Witchfinder General in there....killer shit! I've just recently got the Death Penalty album, and I've been playing the shit out of it.

As for other recommendations, I'll give you a few. But what kind of metal do you prefer? Or do you like it equally?
At any rate, I'm gonna try not to go for really obvious choices, so check these bands out:

-Witch (my favorite 'recent' metal band)
-Budgie (contemporaries of early Sabbath)
-Cathedral (very unique style of doom, Forest Of Equilibrium is a brilliant album)
-Electric Wizard
-Saint Vitus (imo the ultimate doom band)
-Ghost
-Sacred Reich (basically they're Metallica clones, but they're so damn good at it)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 55  Next