DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Re: Small Topics
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:19 pm 

zephead8 wrote:
Hey i'm doing a project and was wondering if you guys could help out. The subject is to comment on some subgenre of society that i think is "weird" and decided to do people who listen to death metal. If you guys could explain to me why you like listening to death metal and how you think your attitudes are affected because of it that would be great

My reasoning would be because I'm an avid fan of all types of music, and there are traits to every genre that I enjoy. As far as Death Metal is concerned, I enjoy the energy that the music contains. I also love the technical prowess of a lot of the musicians that play it, and admire the virtuosity that they possess. I also think that Melodic Death Metal artists write some incredible melodies. So to sum up, beautiful melodies + power & energy + technical prowess, are the main traits of the genre that I enjoy.

It should be noted that I pretty much dislike all of child-genre known as Brutal Death Metal, and I only enjoy a few old school Death Metal artists. I tend to just listen to Melodic and Progressive Death Metal stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:23 pm 

Shuure wrote:
I've done some thinking on the subject of what traits in music I enjoy. If you're as bold as to separate musical elements into two major categories, one being rythm and one being melody, death metal as a musical style focuses almost exclusively on rythm. Doing so you open up for a lot more focus and creativity on the rythm aspect of music which makes for some innovative stuff. Growl vocals only takes this further so not to revert focus.

I'm not the most avid listener to death metal, though, I listen to a lot more than the average guy and most likely more than the average metal fan too. I don't dress according to the music I listen to, don't choose friends according to it (though I have people I associate with, probably just cause we share musical preferances) and don't act according to it. This probably isn't what you're after, but I'm betting it stands true for a lot of people. As far as attitude goes, I don't know if you're hypothesis is that aggressive music fosters aggressive behaviour or not, but similar psychological studies, without being able to say anything conclusive, show a trend towards the opposite, if anything.

And if your thoughts go towards the Norwegian black metal scene in relation to my last point, remember that those were only a few individuals in an otherwise relatively large scene.

Yeah I dress like a prep, and most of my friends in high school didn't know I listened to any form of metal. I'm also an incredibly passive person for the most part. My personality traits reflect pretty much the exact opposite of what most people would expect the stereotypical Death Metal or Black Metal fan to portray.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:29 pm 

this is really helpful, thanks. the fact that you guys are saying your styles and attitudes aren't synonymous with a stereotypical death metal fan actually helps with this project so kudos for helping me even though you dont think you are. the part about focusing on the rhythm was great and makes total sense with the growling that occurs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:56 pm 

Good to hear we're helping. Also, if it wasn't already apparent, in my post I ignored melodeth as a part of death metal, seeing as the people who listen to that style aren't the same as the ones who listen to other types of death metal, most of the time.

Since it's kinda slow here, I figured I'd post a few links to stuff and see what you guys think. First one is a Norwegian band called Dunderbeist who released a new album this week (or last week or whatever). Haven't listened to it myself yet, but they have some cool other tunes. They're a jovial bunch and consist of old members from Stonegard and some other band. This one is in Norwegian, but most of their stuff is in English (new album is in Norwegian).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPOKCMfK ... re=related

This link is to my brother's band. I've posted it a couple of times before, but I guess I wanna promote them some and it's always interesting to see if someone news tunes in on them, hearing their opinions and whatnot.

http://www.myspace.com/inquested

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:08 pm 

Devin Towsned covering "New York, New York". Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pAAFNH5sRI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:42 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I have a feeling Lew has something new for his Worst Covers list :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:26 pm 

I thought that was a pretty damn cool cover.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:36 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
It's Devin just having fun. I really hesitate to even consider it a serious song.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:22 pm 

No doubt he's having fun, but he's taken an original approach to a classic with awesome musicianship and vocals. At least, IMO, that's basically what constitutes a cool cover.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:29 pm 

So did Artica on "Still Loving You", that doesn't mean it didn't suck :razz:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm 

So you think it sucks?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:56 pm 

Not really, it just wasn't very good. But it succeeded in what it attempted to do: get DT to climax.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 pm 

so i have people around me raving about this band called Moonsorrow...any good ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:55 pm 

If you like folk metal. I do and I love them. Excellent band.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:24 pm 

Moonsorrow are the brand of folk I'd recommend to people that don't like folk metal, or are at least put off by the modern folk fad of Korpiklaani, Turisas and plenty of worse bands (though I love me some Ensiferum). Depending on whether or not black metal is your thing, you may want to try later Moonsorrow, but Verisakeet would be a good starting point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 57  Next