DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best metal concerts you've ever been to?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:24 am 

Here's my most important ones:

Kamelot - The Black Halo Tour (2006, New York City). That must have been the best concert I've seen, with me standing front row/center stage and Roy Khan giving a damn near flawless performance as he did on One Cold Winter's Night. The whole band was absolutely superb and performing at their peak. The setlist was also perfect; literally every song from the setlist was one of my favorites ("The Haunting," "Moonlight," "The Edge of Paradise," etc). Opening band was Epica, who were really the perfect band to be opening for Kamelot. After the show, one of the security guards let me sneak back stage to the VIP area and I got to meet Kamelot and have them sign a promo poster. I also found a website that has pictures of this concert with me visible in the front row. A magical night in NYC.

Stratovarius - Stratovarius World Tour (2006, New York City). Just an awesome show. Timo Kotipelto really knows how to get the crowd having fun. Before the show I was telling someone how I hoped Stratovarius played "The Abyss of Your Eyes." Then halfway in the set, what do you know, they played it! And I went NUTS! Their entire setlist was excellent and performance was very energetic. I got to meet the band after the show and get their autographs. Timo is a really nice guy and good to all of his fans. I chatted with Lauri Porra for 20 minutes, who is also a super nice guy and my favorite bassist in metal. Really cool night.

Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth Tour (2006, Philadelphia). I was taken off guard by how much they crushed almost every other band I've seen live. Hansi Kursch is an extremely powerful live vocalist. They closed with the epic "And Then There Was Silence," which is easily my favorite power metal song ever. Maybe the most powerful and tightest band performance I've seen.

Ozzfest 2004 (Camden, NJ). I was 17 years old. It was my first metal concert. This was the night when Ozzy came down sick with bronchitis and Rob Halford stepped in for his place. I remember it felt like there was going to be a riot when the crowd heard the news that Ozzy wasn't going to be able to perform. Then it was announced that Halford would be singing for Sabbath. I was thrilled as I previously heard the bootlegs of Halford with Sabbath from the early 90s, and I loved the way he sounded with Sabbath. I knew it was going to be a rare and once in a life time experience. Watching Halford put his 100% into both Priest and Sabbath, and also the non-stop headbanging during Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, and Superjoint Ritual made my first metal concert the most memorable. PS - I did get to experience the "classic" Black Sabbath line up w/Ozzy the next year at Ozzfest 2005.

Share the best metal concerts that you've been to!