DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Fairfax, VA
1. Dream Theater
2. Queensryche
3. Fates Warning
4. Tool
5. Opeth
6. Symphony X
7. Crimson Glory
8. Death
9. Savatage
10. Meshuggah
11. Planet X
12. Atheist
13. Cynic
14. Royal Hunt
15. Angra
16. Psychotic Waltz
17. Pain of Salvation
18. Voivod
19. Adagio
20. Watchtower
21. Threshold
22. Nevermore
23. Thought Industry
24. Enchant
25. Shadow Gallery
26. In the Woods...
27. Liquid Tension Experiment
28. Fifth Angel
29. Vanden Plas
30. Ayreon
31. Edge of Sanity
32. Evergrey
33. Devin Townsend
34. Enslaved
35. Riverside
36. Mekong Delta
37. Pagan's Mind
38. Sieges Even
39. Between the Buried and Me
40. Lethal
41. Circus Maximus
42. Beyond Twilight
43. Winds
44. Mastodon
45. Green Carnation
46. Borknagar
47. Disillusion
48. Protest the Hero
49. Alchemist
50. Negura Bunget


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 150
Location: NYC
Sick list i think BTBAM deserve 33 or 30 just my opinion i know they havent done much in terms of influnce cause there a newer band but technical shit they r a skilled band


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I'm not familiar with a number of those bands immediately above them but Pagan's Mind, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Edge of Sanity and Ayreon (who needs a massive boost) have done more for progressive music in their particular styles to be ranked higher.
Plus I believe we agreed Fifth Angel weren't progressive, before the new forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 150
Location: NYC
Maddolis wrote:
I'm not familiar with a number of those bands immediately above them but Pagan's Mind, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Edge of Sanity and Ayreon (who needs a massive boost) have done more for progressive music in their particular styles to be ranked higher.
Plus I believe we agreed Fifth Angel weren't progressive, before the new forum.



Thats cool check out them bands bro BTBAM is great


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 150
Location: NYC
lobones wrote:
Maddolis wrote:
I'm not familiar with a number of those bands immediately above them but Pagan's Mind, Devin Townsend, Evergrey, Edge of Sanity and Ayreon (who needs a massive boost) have done more for progressive music in their particular styles to be ranked higher.
Plus I believe we agreed Fifth Angel weren't progressive, before the new forum.



Thats cool check out them bands bro BTBAM is great

Jew move BTBAM up 2 like 30 man


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4543
BtBaM over Enslaved? Edge of Sanity? Devin Townsend? No way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Melbourne, Australia
^My point exactly. Wouldn't have them over Pagan's Mind either, though I don't listen to them much and would like a second/third opinion on it.
I still think Ayreon need a small boost, anywhere from 3-7 spots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:30 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Fairfax, VA
HolidayInCambodia wrote:
BtBaM over Enslaved? Edge of Sanity? Devin Townsend? No way.

Yeah BtBaM doesn't deserve to be above any of those three bands. Honestly, their importance in Progressive Metal is nowhere near those three. All they have is popularity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:55 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 3238
Location: Somewhere Along the Highway
BTBAM GUYS! THEY SO GOOD! PUT THEM ON THE LIST! BEST BLACK METAL BAND EVAR! BEST SOUL SONG EVAR! IDENTIFICATION THIS BTBAM SONG!

It's pretty much just spam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:42 pm
Posts: 373
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Stop trying to be kvlt Nes, BtBaM are actually progressive symphonic/atmospheric blackened death.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 150
Location: NYC
thejew wrote:
HolidayInCambodia wrote:
BtBaM over Enslaved? Edge of Sanity? Devin Townsend? No way.

Yeah BtBaM doesn't deserve to be above any of those three bands. Honestly, their importance in Progressive Metal is nowhere near those three. All they have is popularity.


They have mad skill they lack influence cause there new even Dream Theater said there one of the best prog metal bands in the last 6 years, and there Tech Death, Prog Metal, Metalcore Black metal is no where near them, and why were they 14 on the old list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:14 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:05 pm
Posts: 2541
Location: Fairfax, VA
lobones wrote:
thejew wrote:
HolidayInCambodia wrote:
BtBaM over Enslaved? Edge of Sanity? Devin Townsend? No way.

Yeah BtBaM doesn't deserve to be above any of those three bands. Honestly, their importance in Progressive Metal is nowhere near those three. All they have is popularity.


They have mad skill they lack influence cause there new even Dream Theater said there one of the best prog metal bands in the last 6 years, and there Tech Death, Prog Metal, Metalcore Black metal is no where near them, and why were they 14 on the old list

Because the old lists were thrown together at complete random. And there is nothing Tech Death about BtBaM. Just because you play technical music with harsh vocals doesn't make you Tech Death. They're purely Progressive Metalcore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:23 pm
Posts: 150
Location: NYC
Ohhh I didn't know that man but, i just meant that they used to sound like tech death on there first 2 albums then became more progressive. You are right though there prog metal and metalcore


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:25 am
Posts: 553
Great list but 'no Porcupine?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 50 Greatest Progressive Metal Artists
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 6739
Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Still have absolutely no clue why Queensryche is considered a prog band, aside from writing a story concept album.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page