DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Indie Rock Songs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:22 pm 

My rough draft Top 100 is up. Any suggestions for new songs, or songs that should be moved up or down? And how big should I make the Honorable Mentions section?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:42 am 

piper wrote:
I'm using the same criteria as the album and artist lists, which I made specifically to have a limit.

I consider Indie Rock to be a genre with a specific sound and not a designation of label status, especially since the early 2000's when major labels started to sign indie rock bands, such as TV on the Radio and Modest Mouse away from their indie labels. Independent labels are still the home to many indie rock artists, but the genre is no longer exclusive to them.

This is not a slight against your or your list, but--ugh this is why I hate the term "indie" rock. Such a stupid descriptor--especially if a band isn't even on an independent label. Artists that aren't on an indie label can still be indie rock, and other artists that are on independent labels can be excluded from being indie. It's just overly confusing.

I think Cut Your Hair is the perfect choice for number 1. I think Evil is a better choice than Slow Hands for Interpol for their last song, but it's so low on the list I don't know how much it matters. You ave Romantic Rights listed twice too btw.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm 

I consider it a genre with a discernible sound. Creed, for instance, were signed to an independent label for their entire career, but they do not sound, nor are considered an "indie rock" artist, despite being an alternative rock artist on an indie label.

"Evil" is actually my favorite Interpol song. I included "Slow Hands" because it was their first major "chart" single (#15 US Modern Rock, #36 UK). "Evil" did much better on the UK chart, but "Slow Hands" seemed to have decent acclaim to it as well.

I've changed the lower duplicate of "Romantic Rights" to "Blood On Our Hands" by the same artist, which was my original intention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 pm 

Yeah Creed is obvious, but you know how I feel about bands like Sunny Day Real Estate who aren't included based on the criteria (indie emo not a form of indie rock), and post-punk revival is considered indie rock, and a non-independent song is top 3. It's just confusing.

I'm surprised Slow Hands was more successful. I just remember hearing Evil everywhere I went for a while in college. All complaints about a genre aside, it's a good list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:32 pm 

Hey guys, i'm restarting this list.

Is there any songs that should be on here that I forgot? Especially from artists on the Greatest Indie Rock Artists list? http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_ ... indie.html

Please, no further "What is Indie Rock"? discussion. I made the criteria for the indie rock list just to get the definition out of the way so we could make a list. I just want song suggestions or anything i've missed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 am 

I'm not discussing what indie rock is, but I don't think Belle & Sebastian should be on here, especially when the Smiths aren't. B&S seem like a pretty straight up indie pop band to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
I'm not discussing what indie rock is, but I don't think Belle & Sebastian should be on here, especially when the Smiths aren't. B&S seem like a pretty straight up indie pop band to me.

Indie pop is included as a subgenre (that's why The Housemartins et. al. are here too), and it was decided that The Smiths are an alternative rock band, not an indie rock band.

In Britian, the term "indie" seems to mean the same thing as the American term "alternative", and seems to often go by the "label designation" route. For instance, Depeche Mode spent almost their entire career on an indie label but they can hardly called "indie" in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 am 

I think you should reconsider the Smiths being an indie pop band. I've always considered them the fathers of indie pop (along with the Go-Betweens).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 pm 

joe c wrote:
I think you should reconsider the Smiths being an indie pop band. I've always considered them the fathers of indie pop (along with the Go-Betweens).

Yeah, I might do so for the next revision of the Indie lists. If I do, then these songs will certainly be on this list:
How Soon is Now?
There is a Light That Never Goes Out
This Charming Man
Panic

and maybe
Girlfriend in a Coma
William, It Was Really Nothing
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
What Difference Does It Make?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm 

Anyway, back to the list. I'm not sure The State I Am In should be anywhere near as high. It was only an album track and I'd never heard it before I started listening to B&S. Although it's a huge favourite among fans I'm not sure it has much relevance outside of B&S fan (nor do any B&S songs really), I always think of B&S as much more of an albums band than a songs band in terms of these lists.

Although I agree TSIAI should be their highest song, as far as post-Smiths twee/indie pop songs go I'd probably put "Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken" "100,000 Fireflies" and a Beat Happening song (though I'd go for Bewitched rather than Indian Summer) ahead of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:40 pm 

"Indian Summer" has a ton of influence on it. I might put that up higher than "TSAI".

For indie music - due to its often underground nature, popularity (esp. mainstream popularity) is kind of secondary to influence and acclaim. Maybe popularity inside the fanbase, but not much outside of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm 

This is true, but I'm not sure there is really a significant universal popularity to any B&S in its fanbase, favourite songs seem to vary quite a bit in B&S' fanbase, they don't really have a "staple" song inside their fanbase like other artists do, and I'm not sure it has much influence or acclaim to it. Like I said, I think B&S' acclaim and influence is much more about their albums than their songs.

Compare to things like LIRTBH which tends to have a lot more acclaim and is pretty universally regarded as the best song inside the artist's fanbase and 100,000 Firelies which is probably the most iconic song of pre-internet indie pop mixtape culture and again, is pretty universally regarded as the best song inside the artist's fanbase.

You know how much I love B&S but I'm not sure they really should have a song so high or anything on a list like this, on the top albums list, absolutely, I could see both IYFS and Tigermilk right up there, but from a song perspective I'm not so sure.

I started doing some lists of a greatest indie pop songs and albums a while back in rough and I seem to remember not having a B&S song in the top 10, despite them being easily #2 on the greatest indie pop artists after the Smiths, yet I think I had both IYFS and Tigermilk in the top 10 indie pop albums. (Incidentally, might resurrect these lists, still want to finish the 100 greatest indie pop artists too).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm 

I put "The State I Am In" on there because its mentioned quite a bit in books and some websites as their most influential song and its also at #138 on the Greatest Alternative Songs list. Although yeah, it doesn't really deserve where it is right now. It should be their highest song, but maybe somewhere like where IFYS (the song) is now, at #34 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:29 pm 

Yeah, I'll try and finish my 100 Greatest Indie pop artists/songs/albums lists over the next few days as I have a lot of time atm, which could hopefully strike up a bit of debate. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:36 pm 

OK, i've decided to include the Smiths on the Artists and Albums lists. :tiphat: