It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Indie Rock Albums
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:14 pm 

Aunt Jemima wrote:
ohh yeah my bad. still, if we're talking about s&e, that album is still held highly among the pantheon of great indie albums to this day. spiderland's rarely ever talked about anywhere but here

That's fair enough. I don't have a problem with any ordering of the top 5 (though I think the current top 5 is right in terms of the albums included), but Spiderland is definitely more influential than either Pavement album, though you are right, both Pavement albums also have more in terms of acclaim and popularity among indie fans.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:25 pm 

Location: "do you see the perpetrator?" "yeah I'm right here."
o.O

I think we are vastly underrating the influence of "lofi" here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am 

Modern lo-fi bands like Yo La Tengo, Sebadoh, Guided By Voices and Mercury Rev all pre-date Pavement and they are some of the most popular lo-fi bands, so I'm not sure any Pavement album ignited it or had that much of an influence on it as there already seemed to be some sort of scene there, I may be wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 pm 

even I think Spiderland being at #2 is kinda ridiculous and I made this list. That's one of the things I wasn't sure of when I based the Top 30 off of Skullkid's Alt albums list - I was eventually gonna make some cosmetic changes, the S&E/CR,CR going ahead of Spiderland being one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:56 pm 

Location: "do you see the perpetrator?" "yeah I'm right here."
Avery_Island wrote:
Modern lo-fi bands like Yo La Tengo, Sebadoh, Guided By Voices and Mercury Rev all pre-date Pavement and they are some of the most popular lo-fi bands, so I'm not sure any Pavement album ignited it or had that much of an influence on it as there already seemed to be some sort of scene there, I may be wrong though.

Is Nevermind not important just because there were grunge and alternative bands before it? More pointedly, is Spiderland really important, considering that it is predated by Talk Talk's late albums, which sound far more like most post-rock has ended up sounding? Spiderland is an album like The Velvet Underground and Nico that is only important in retrospect. Unlike that album though, Spiderland's title of being a founding post-rock album is complicated by not being the founding post-rock album, but a founding post-rock album along with a bunch of other albums that led up to post-rock being a kind of coherent scene which didn't happen until Bark Psychosis's Hex (at the very earliest). In comparison, Slanted & Enchanted is pretty much indie rock's Nevermind, only probably much more centrally important as an album rather than a document of a band that was important. Until S&E came out, all the bands you mention tended to be seen as a scattered assortment of college rock leftovers that didn't have anything to do with each other. It's because of Slanted & Enchanted's legacy that you even mention those bands in the same sentence. Slanted & Enchanted did not invent lo-fi or indie rock, but it drew the aesthetic dividing line between the college rock scene of the 80s and the indie rock of the 90s and beyond, defining the aesthetics of the whole movement, and it's frankly a little weird not to have it as number one on this list. In The Aeroplane Over the Sea is just a cult favorite gone popular in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 am 

this is why i love you, dreww. you can articulate in ways i couldn't even begin to emulate... or at least don't try hard enough to

piper wrote:
even I think Spiderland being at #2 is kinda ridiculous and I made this list. That's one of the things I wasn't sure of when I based the Top 30 off of Skullkid's Alt albums list - I was eventually gonna make some cosmetic changes, the S&E/CR,CR going ahead of Spiderland being one of them.

who the hell is skullkid? no idea why you'd base a top 30 off a list from somebody that had no pull on this website

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:04 am 

Piper - I think we discussed that SkullKid's lists are flawed, in that they put too much emphasis on popularity, which makes no sense on an alternative list, it should be popularity of alt. artists only.

I'm currently trying to work on a new version of the top alt. artists, but I'm havign problems due to my laptop copping out a few days back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm 

So, with Arcade Fire's The Suburbs winning the Grammy for Album of the Year, that means that it should probably now find a home somewhere in the Top 50. Any idea where?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm 

Just by scrolling through the list, I would feel comfortable seeing it around the 35ish. Idk tho, I'd have to think about it more.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 pm 

yeah, 35 sounds about right. I've added it there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 am 
Master of the Universe 2008

I wouldnt say that; so many forgettable albums have won album of the year as of late from the grammys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 am 

Chemical Ali wrote:
I wouldnt say that; so many forgettable albums have won album of the year as of late from the grammys

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, like Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters". Aside from that Grammy win, "The Suburbs" got some great reviews and is one of a few independently released albums to peak at #1 on the Billboard 200 album chart (its under a dozen, I believe).

Besides, I forgot it when I made this list (either because it hadn't come out yet, or it was very new) and was looking to plug it somewhere in the Top 100 anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm 

Spiderland is Indie Rock? Don't make me laugh. Also, The Pixies aren't Indie? The Stone Roses aren't Indie?
I think Pavement did more for the development of Indie than Neutral Milk Hotel, which is pretty much an overrated band that only seems big in the popularity department with the tr00est of Indie fagsters.
I also think Built to Spill should be higher, were pretty early on in the development of the genre.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:37 pm 

this is the album list, Floyo.

I made a criteria to get the list done instead of having pages of debate of what the genre is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 pm 

My apologies, I meant the highest rated albums by the respective bands I mentioned. For some reason I do that by accident. Aaaanyhow, I'm not the biggest Indie fag, at least when compared to some of you guys, I really do have something against Spiderland being labeled Indie, though, and yes I know it has been mentioned multiple times, but its simply true. As far as the rest of my post in concered, take it whatever way you want, just sharing my opinion and if no one agrees with it, so be it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next