DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Alternative Albums
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm 

Perhaps a bit biased looking at it from a British point of view, but should Daydream Nation really be that high? I think it might be scraping in to the top 10, but really don't see it being ahead of some of the albums below it. Think the same about Remain in Light to a lesser extent too.

I reckon Nevermind, Doolittle, Murmer, OKC and TQID should be the top 5 albums, though not sure about the order though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:27 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
Perhaps a bit biased looking at it from a British point of view, but should Daydream Nation really be that high? I think it might be scraping in to the top 10, but really don't see it being ahead of some of the albums below it. Think the same about Remain in Light to a lesser extent too.

I reckon Nevermind, Doolittle, Murmer, OKC and TQID should be the top 5 albums, though not sure about the order though.

Oh yes. Daydream Nation was very influential on the American (and to a lesser extent Canadian) alternative scene. It deserves the place it has.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 pm 

Johnny wrote:
I love 2000's rock music and there's always some kind of bias against the music from that decade. I personally think "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" is a near perfect album and should at least be in the Top100.

Don't get me wrong, I love that record and its one of my personal favorites, but its too darn new to be very high. 2006 it was? That isn't nearly enough time for it to collect any further influence or retrospective acclaim than it already has.

Additionally, you might want to check out the Indie Rock Albums list, where it is at #14. Indie rock is a much smaller subgenre than alternative as a whole and as such it has a much higher placing in that genre overall.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 am 

Just a small point, but I think the Smiths' s/t is too high. I don't think any other Smiths album comes close to TQID really for the purposes of this list and I can't see another of theirs in the top 50 or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:33 am 

I think may be Californication needs to be a bit higher, and I think Violator was more important musically than both Dookie and Entertainment! Otherwise a great list.

Also, this is just a thought, but I would have expected The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance to be at #200. It had a certain 'influence' on teenage culture in the mid-2000s, especially in the UK, it was a good album, and it was certainly different to a lot of albums released at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm 

This forum doesn't even have that many indie fags anymore.

So how about we save some bandwidth and delete this entire section?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 am 

I'm looking over the alternative lists and not seeing any mention of Live. I'm not assuming that's wrong, but I would like to see that there is a reason and what that might be. I can't speak to influence, but they had two #1 albums, one of which went 8x platinum, and they were a significant presence on the alternative charts through most of the 90s.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:35 pm 

Fincher wrote:
I'm looking over the alternative lists and not seeing any mention of Live. I'm not assuming that's wrong, but I would like to see that there is a reason and what that might be. I can't speak to influence, but they had two #1 albums, one of which went 8x platinum, and they were a significant presence on the alternative charts through most of the 90s.

Live had popularity, but their influence and acclaim was minimal. I suppose Throwing Copper might make an appearance near the bottom of the albums list if I ever do a revision, but that's about it. Same goes for either "Selling the Drama" or "Lightning Crashes" (one, not both) with the songs list.

Live is probably in a better situation than for instance Collective Soul, the most played band on Alternative radio during the 1990's (SEVEN #1 singles!). That band had humongous initial popularity that was almost completely gone by album #4, critics despised them (probably unfairly) more than any band going at the time and the only bands they influenced were bands that are even more reviled.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 pm 

Okay, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:45 pm 

Where's Vs., Frizzle Fry, Oh, Inverted World, Tindersticks, White Blood Cells, Sound of Silver, Boxer, Franz Ferdinand? Maybe Rage Against the Machine and Brand New if they qualify? All would be good additions to the list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 pm 

I'm surprised I left off White Blood Cells and Franz Ferdinand. Those two are absolutely going on the list in my next revision.

Vs., Frizzle Fry and Sound of Silver are maybes.

I'm not really sure on Oh Inverted World. Wincing the Night Away would probably be the first Shins album i'd put on here if I ever listed a Shins album.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:46 pm 

Really? As much as I like Wincing the Night Away, Oh Inverted World and Chutes Too Narrow are usually regarded as being the Shins greatest albums.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:37 am 

I'm surprised at the lack of Faith No More, also ( ) is here but not Agaetis Byrjun?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:31 am 

Floyo Mounier wrote:
I'm surprised at the lack of Faith No More, also ( ) is here but not Agaetis Byrjun?

That is something i can't work out either.. maybe their popularity waned a bit in the U.S but everywhere else it continued to make them a revered and respected band with especially Angel Dust and The Real Thing! They are more ''metal'' than most on the list but they are mostly known as an ''Alternative'' rock/metal band.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:25 pm 

Planned inclusions for next revision:
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Primus - Pork Soda
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
Live - Throwing Copper
Fall Out Boy - From Under the Cork Tree

(This is also on the first post)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next