DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 41  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
London Calling is the best. Every second of it is awesome and exciting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am
Posts: 1498
Location: The Pearl of the Orient
Differing opinions, but this is not the place to discuss it (coughstillabbeyroadcough). Anyway, any more thoughts on the top 20?

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. Pet Sounds
3. What's Going On
4. Revolver
5. Highway 61 Revisited
6. Live At The Apollo
7. Rubber Soul
8. Dark Side Of The Moon
9. Thriller
10. Are You Experienced?
11. Nevermind
12. Exile On Main St.
13. Born To Run
14. Blonde On Blonde
15. Elvis Presley
16. Abbey Road
17. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
18. London Calling
19. Innervisions
20. Who's Next


Last edited by Deany on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
I'm sure okay with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 am
Posts: 1922
Seems fine to me. And Deany, I never meant to assault your intelligence at any point if you felt I did, I'm sorry. I had a really fun argument. I get REALLY into it though, the whole time was mainly me trying to play the devils advocate, I knew LC and NoM were really close, just felt I should get nitty gritty about it :lol: It was fun. Nice outcome, like the list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4291
Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Because hit singles in a few countries are a firm establishment of popularity, right?


It's certainly not the only way to establish popularity, but it's one, yes. Besides, while we heavily weight the US and the UK here, rap is big in a lot of places, not just a few countries.

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Metallica has never had a number 1 hit, and Queensryche has, so clearly Queensryche is more popular than Metallica...


First of all, Queensryche has never had a number one hit in the US or the UK. "Silent Lucidity" was a pretty big hit, but so was "Until It Sleeps", so your analogy fails.

But at any rate, if you're going to say that hits don't prove popularity, then you need something that counteracts it. I'm assuming that Metallica has sold a LOT more albums than Queensryche has. That's how we know they're more popular. That's why I provided album sales numbers, too.

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
So what if rap has a ton of hit singles in a few countries? That doesn't establish anything about worldwide popularity.


Actually, it does. So does the fact that rap albums are routinely among the biggest selling albums of the year, worldwide.

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Some extremely popular electronic artists don't even make albums and sell music strictly online, while others are generally downloaded or obtained outside of albums.


No--artists who sell music strictly online simply aren't "extremely popular".

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Look up the number of electronic artists worldwide, look, if it is even providable, of the most played genres worldwide, played anywhere.


Source?

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Electronica has an undeniable lead. Mariah Carey has more hit singles than The Who and Zeppelin combined, so clearly her popularity is greater than both of theirs combined as well, right?


Not quite--you also have to look at album sales and concert success, for example. But she's more popular than either, yes. But, again, I never said singles were the only thing.

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Popularity can't be measured strictly in hit singles, or strictly in album sales either, and if you check worldwide electronica/dance music downloaded and purchased, not a doubt in my mind exists that it far surpasses rap.


Then provide me some evidence of that, because I don't believe you.

And I notice that you've gone from "electronica" to "electronica/dance music", which is changing the subject. Dance pop is a very big genre, but I see no evidence that, say, Katy Perry or Rhianna is any more influenced by Kraftwerk than she is by Public Enemy.

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
Nearly every person I know here in Beijing has a massive amount of electronica and dance downloaded, when I check back in the US, it's on par with rap now among college students and teens, with rap having the slight edge. That's on the east coast. Visting San Diego and LA, if you look at the new hit sensation known as 'gloving', and even among many teens and college students, even young adults, the amount of dance found in the area is more prevalent than rap, all the way up to san francisco, with large raves and conventions dedicated to dance music, the number of attendees and songs downloaded rivaling arguably that of rap concerts and performances in the area, which I know, is hard to believe.


You're giving me your personal experience. I have no way of knowing how typical that is. Give me numbers. Give me sources. Give me evidence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:36 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 am
Posts: 1922
Alright, I had this huge, three times as long, pointless post. Let me simplify it, despite the length. There are so many enumerable electronic artists all over the world, possibly more artists than rap albums, no joke. Start looking up artists under sub-genres of electronic music, which, btw, has hundreds and hundreds of sub-genres. Now, the numbers are to a degree that's nearly immeasurable, and I have a lot trouble finding artist and genre sales in the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Thailand, Korea, etc. I have enough trouble finding the sales for China and Japan. However, this much is certain. Rap is the most popular sub-genre of the last 25 years in north America and Britain, arguably Europe. This is not saying it's not popular in Asia and other countries, just not anywhere near the most popular. Electronic music is the most popular sub-genre of China and Japan, that I can prove, and I don't need the time because if you think that you can show me rap is more popular in those countries, I'd like to see you put in the painstaking hair splitting effort to pull enough rap sales and downloads to total maybe 1/50 of the electronic ones. Now, if the most popular sub genre in China and Japan, whose populations combined exceed that of NA and Europe combined (it accounts for more than 1/7 of the worlds total population), while electronic music also has a very, very heavy following in Europe and now quite a large one in the US, even if it's less than rap, it's catching up, and more of a following in South America as well, how can rap be the dominant genre, when it's max popularity resides in a region with a total population that is equivalent to, if not less, than that of the population of TWO COUNTRIES where electronic music is heavily, heavily dominant over rap and the most popular sub-genre in those nations. India you may think could be a big tie breaker, however it's most dominant genre is arguably it's own pop style music, followed most likely by electronic, however rap has a popular following in India, but it varies heavily, if anything, electronic music wins by a fair margin.

So if you say rap is the most popular genre of the last 20 years in the western hemisphere, then I'll agree without a single doubt in my mind. But I don't know how you can say the world when the most popular sub-genre of a continent where just ONE of it's countries accounts for all of NA and EU combined is also widespread and has a large following in nearly every other continent in the world, if not country, RIGHT behind rap in widespread popularity, then that's just nuts. You also need to consider the fact that electronic music already had a cult following and was being produced in Asia and Europe before rap even surfaced in either region.

Also this is really irrelevant to this particular list, I was just refuting the repeated statement that rap has been the most popular sub-genre in the world for the past 20 years. If you don't believe me, fine, you don't have to. If you want exact numbers, do it yourself. I'm estimating based on research I've done and I don't want to name 500+ sources, unlike rap and billboard tracked music, there are just too many electronic artists in the world, even too many major mainstream ones in foreign countries to accurately track. So you can believe me or not, but I feel we should get back to album discussions for a top 30 :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am
Posts: 1498
Location: The Pearl of the Orient
I'm gonna throw up a 21 - 30:

21. Purple Rain (Prince)
22. Led Zeppelin II (Led Zeppelin)
23. Songs In The Key Of Life (Stevie Wonder)
24. The Joshua Tree (U2)
25. Rumours (Fleetwood Mac)
26. Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music (Ray Charles)
27. The Beatles (The White Album) (The Beatles)
28. Blue (Joni Mitchell)
29. The Velvet Underground & Nico (The Velvet Underground)
30. Tapestry (Carole King)

???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
I might put Modern Sounds above Rumours. The lead in influence for it is huge. Rumours could possibly take acclaim and popularity, but I don't think it could overcome what it lacks in influence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:33 am 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 am
Posts: 1922
switch Modern Sounds with Rumours and it looks fine to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
Also, what about VU vs. Blue? They are both of about equal acclaim and influence is tipped far in the favor of VU.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am
Posts: 1498
Location: The Pearl of the Orient
But popularity is tipped far in the favor of Blue. Also, Blue was consistently acclaimed from its release, while VUGaN was panned upon release.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:37 pm
Posts: 9158
It was?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am
Posts: 1498
Location: The Pearl of the Orient
If I recall correctly...okay, scratch that. It was actually largely ignored upon release. It's initial popularity is practically zero.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
I think Deany's right about that. But I think the influence of VU is going to outweigh Blue's popularity, so if Blue has more acclaim, then I'd concede that they're in the correct placements.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 am
Posts: 1498
Location: The Pearl of the Orient
I'd say Blue takes acclaim. It's been consistently lauded since its release, while praise for ...& Nico, though gushing, only emerged decades after its releases.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 41  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page