DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Songs of the '90s
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 am 

Nice work, Brian. I like the changes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, pgm.

I'm still ironing out what will be on the list, because the songs Brett suggested are worth strong consideration, but if they're added, songs will have to be dropped to make room for them. I am now leaning toward dropping "Gett Off", but I think "Never Ever" should probably stay. So even if GO and "Don't Look Back in Anger" are dropped, one more will also have to be dropped.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:30 pm 

Some suggestions to Top '90s:

Air Supply - Goodbye
Andru Donalds - Save Me Now
Bee Gees - For Whom The Bells Toll
Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On
Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
Charles & Eddie - Would I Lie To You
Cher - Believe
Chris Isaak - Wicked Game
Duran Duran - Ordinary World
Enigma - Return To Innocence
Enigma - Sadeness
Enya - Caribbean Blue
ERA - Ameno
George Michael - Freedom
George Michael & Elton John - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (Live)
Hanson - Mmmbop
Jon Secada - Angel
Jon Secada - Just Another Day
Kiss - Forever
Laura Pausini - La Soledad
Laura Pausini - Strani Amori
Lighthouse Family - High
Madonna - Frozen
Madonna - Take A Bow
Mariah Carey - Without You
Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston - When You Believe
Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves A Woman
Michael Bolton - Said I Loved You But I Lied
Michael Jackson - Earth Song
Michael Jackson - Heal The World
Michael Jackson - You Are Not Alone
Michael Learns To Rock - Someday
Phil Collins - You'll Be In My Heart
Queen - The Show Must Go On
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
Richard Marx - Hazard
Rick Astley - Cry For Help
Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time To Say Goodbye
Scorpions - Wind Of Change
Shania Twain - From This Moment
Silverchair - Miss You Love
Simply Red - For Your Babies
Simply Red - Stars
Snap - Rhythm Is A Dancer
Spice Girls - Wannabe
Sting - Fields Of Gold
Toni Braxton - Breathe Again
Vanessa Williams - Save The Best For Last
Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around
Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
Whitney Houston - It's Not Right But It's Okay (Remix)
Whitney Houston - I Have Nothing

Last edited by Bruno on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Some of those are already on the list, and some of the others are among those that I plan to add to the list.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:28 pm 

Brian wrote:
Some of those are already on the list, and some of the others are among those that I plan to add to the list.

I edited now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Bruno_Antonio wrote:
C & C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now

This is really called "Gonna Make You Sweat", and it's on the list. I plan to add the following:

Quote:
Cher - Believe
Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 pm 

Brian wrote:
Bruno_Antonio wrote:
C & C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now

This is really called "Gonna Make You Sweat", and it's on the list. I plan to add the following:

You're right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

In the 2nd post of this thread I've posted a revision and extension of this list. As I continued to research the list, it seemed me that significant changes were appropriate. Because I try to keep this list consistent with the songs lists by year, I also revised those lists, and I'll post those revisions in that thread as soon as I finish this post.

I'll wait at least a week to give everyone a chance to comment before I ask Lew to update the list on the main site.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:16 am 
Site Admin

From DDD facebook page:
------------------------------------------------
I was just looking at your top 250 greatest songs of the 90's and I was shocked. You have The Offspring's "Come Out and Play" and "Self Esteem" and numbers 167 and 93. Both off of their album SMASH. Yet, there was nothing off of their Album "Americana". Which was not only much much more successful than SMASH, but one of the biggest albums sold in the 90's and in the history of music. "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" and "Why Don't You Get A Job", especially "Pretty Fly", were two of the biggest songs of the 90's. But neither one is even in your top 250? That is just completely insane. I expected to see AT LEAST "Pretty Fly" in your top 25, and it's not even at number 250? I apologize but I just cannot believe you would leave either one, let alone both, of those songs out of even the top 100. They're obvious slections. Not by opinion, but by complete and total fact.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:51 am 

lew wrote:
From DDD facebook page:
I was just looking at your top 250 greatest songs of the 90's and I was shocked. You have The Offspring's "Come Out and Play" and "Self Esteem" and numbers 167 and 93. Both off of their album SMASH. Yet, there was nothing off of their Album "Americana". Which was not only much much more successful than SMASH, but one of the biggest albums sold in the 90's and in the history of music. "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" and "Why Don't You Get A Job", especially "Pretty Fly", were two of the biggest songs of the 90's. But neither one is even in your top 250? That is just completely insane. I expected to see AT LEAST "Pretty Fly" in your top 25, and it's not even at number 250? I apologize but I just cannot believe you would leave either one, let alone both, of those songs out of even the top 100. They're obvious slections. Not by opinion, but by complete and total fact.

Smash is actually The Offspring's best-selling record and one of the most successful independent label music albums all time. So he's wrong there.

According to the RIAA
Smash: 6x platinum in the US
Americana: 5x platinum in the US

All in all, they've sold about the same amount of copies worldwide, but "Smash" has sold more. "Smash" also has higher acclaim and influence than "Americana".

Chart listings for the 4 songs in question:
"Come Out and Play": #1 US Mod Rock, #8 Aus, #38 US Pop Radio Airplay
"Self-Esteem": #4 US Mod Rock, #1 Switzerland, #37 UK
"Pretty Fy": #53 US, #3 US Mod Rock, #1 New Zealand, #1 UK
"Why Don't You Get A Job": #74 US, #4 US Mod Rock, #2 UK

"Why Don't You Get A Job" is most certainly not one of the most successful songs of the 1990's and they've had other hits that have done much better. I have a felling this fellow thinks The Offspring deserves 4 songs on the list, when they almost certainly do not. At the very best, "Pretty Fly" could replace "Self Esteem" but that's about it.

Even so, "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" is absolutely not worthy of a Top 25 spot. That's fucking laughable.

My best guess is this guy is an Offspring fanboy with a favorite album and doesn't quite understand our criteria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Piper, and I'll add that where the poster really went off the deep end was when he said that Americana is one of the biggest albums in the history of music.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:47 pm 

Yeah so that guy just responded on the Facebook page, thought you would want to know piper:
This post is for the moronic individual that displayed his ignorance for music in the reply to my post about the offspring. First off, you have the list titled GREATEST songs of the 90's. Please look up the word greatest in the dictionary so you may learn the meaning to the word. Album sales and peak chart positions DO NOT solely determine the greatest songs. Some of the most well put-together songs in the history of music were not popular for a very long time. Either way, you talked about your "criteria" for your list. THAT was fucking laughable. When the album SMASH came out, how many people stopped buying albums and started downloading music? Huh Mr. Criteria? I'll tell you, NONE. If you barely even knew jack shit you would know that downloading music blew up and became huge in 1997 (one year before AMERICANA came out) and only got bigger every year after. Now, in 1998, let's say three million people downloaded even ONE song off of AMERICANA. If it was three or more years before that time, then those people would've had to have bought the album. Say even two of those three million would have bought the album. That means AMERICANA would have went 7x Platinum. That's even knocking off a million people. Which means it would have sold more than SMASH. Now, even with downloading music bigger than ever, AMERICANA still sold only one million copies less. And as for your criteria, "Pretty Fly" peaked at number two on the billboard charts. As you should already know, their highest to date. AMERICANA also went gold or platinum in 17 countries. SMASH only in 7. Do the math. Greatest songs means in the entire world. Not just in the USA. Maybe you should rename your list, The Top 100 Most Popular Songs of the 90's in the United States Based on Album Sales Alone. Perhaps you should learn more about music and the GREATNESS of it. Instead of looking at Wikipedia for all your "criteria" research and basing your list on the simplest of statistics.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm 

:lol: wow, antagonistic much?

Only reason I brought sales into it is because he specifically brought up that "Americana" was "one of the biggest albums sold in the 90's and in the history of music." I listed chart placements for various countries. The fact that I didn't list the album certifications is that they're bugger-all difficult to find

The acclaim and influence is higher on "Come Out and Play" than any other Offspring song. No Offspring song belongs in the top 25.

I seriously don't want to get into a shouting match with someone who doesn't even bother registering on the forum to state his claim, so if he wants to keep going, you should tell him to go through Brian. It's his list after all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Machine Head, if you have a point to make, please make it without the hostility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:07 pm 

... Er, Brian, I think you need to read the first sentence of my post again. That big rant is from the same guy on Facebook who Lew told us about. Not me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next