DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Top Ten Rock Albums Of Each Year - 2000-2009
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm 

Johnny wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
I do admit, The Marshall Mathers LP is an excellent album, and is deserving of number two. However, Kid A is more influential because it's influence expands over a variety of genres.

It was also a number one album, was nominated for a few grammy awards, and has been consistently named the best album of the 2000's.

Also, American Idiot is an overrated album. I can see The College Dropout being ahead of Funeral, but American Idiot should not be number one.

What Marshall Mathers LP doesn't have in absolute critical acclaim is compensated by its overwhelming popularity. Not only for sales but its appearence in popular culture, how even after 10+ years it remains a very popular record and is appealing not only to rap fans, but also to pop fans, rock fans, etc. Maybe Radiohead is really influential in music circles, but MMLP's impact is way bigger. It was also nominated for Grammy awards and won one. It's also featured consistently as the best rap album of the 2000's and one of the best rap albums of all time, and gave enough popularity to someone who can now be considered the biggest worldwide musician/artist.

The impact of MMLP is way bigger than Kid A? Seriously?

Yes, MMLP is considered one of the best rap albums of the 2000's
Kid A is considered the OVERALL BEST album of the 2000's

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:59 am 

BayPineapple wrote:
Johnny wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
I do admit, The Marshall Mathers LP is an excellent album, and is deserving of number two. However, Kid A is more influential because it's influence expands over a variety of genres.

It was also a number one album, was nominated for a few grammy awards, and has been consistently named the best album of the 2000's.

Also, American Idiot is an overrated album. I can see The College Dropout being ahead of Funeral, but American Idiot should not be number one.

What Marshall Mathers LP doesn't have in absolute critical acclaim is compensated by its overwhelming popularity. Not only for sales but its appearence in popular culture, how even after 10+ years it remains a very popular record and is appealing not only to rap fans, but also to pop fans, rock fans, etc. Maybe Radiohead is really influential in music circles, but MMLP's impact is way bigger. It was also nominated for Grammy awards and won one. It's also featured consistently as the best rap album of the 2000's and one of the best rap albums of all time, and gave enough popularity to someone who can now be considered the biggest worldwide musician/artist.

MMLP really has a bigger impact

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
Johnny wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:

MMLP really has a bigger impact

Explain please

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Johnny wrote:
In 2001 I don't know exactly why would The Blueprint be above The Strokes. In acclaim they are pretty much tied and considered some of the best albums the decade has to offer. They are both popular albums, almost equally, too (if we talk in terms of sales). Blueprint is only x2 Platinum in the US and x1 Platinum in Canada and Gold in UK. Is This It is x1 Platinum in US, UK, Canada and Australia. So that is pretty much a tie. I don't know how influential Jay-Z is, but The Strokes were a huge act in the sound of '00s rock music, specially the Alt. Rock scene. So I still believe Is This It > Blueprint

The editor might be considering popularity for the US and UK only. If so, The Blueprint would win, but not by all that much. Jay-Z is a more influential artist overall, but it's a tougher call when talking abunt just these 2 albums. Pretty close I'd think. Overall, it's definitely closer than the '00 matchup, but I'd say Jay-Z gets a slight edge, and in any event, it's understandable why it would be as it is.

Quote:
In 2004 I can understand Funeral not being #1, but that doesn't mean it's ok for it to be #6. For example it should be above Smile and Franz Ferdinand. I think it should be #4 at least. And I don't know if this has been discussed, but i think 'Hot Fuss' by The Killers could make a serious case to get a spot somewhere. But I don't really know. I'll have to think more about it.

I could definitely see Funeral ahead of Smile and FF. And it does seem that Hot Fuss is more deserving than some of what made that list. I'd support bumping something, most likely the Black Keys, to make room for it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

BayPineapple wrote:
Brian wrote:
Johnny wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
Kid A by Radiohead should be #1 for 2000
Is This It by The Strokes should be #1 for 2001
Funeral by Arcade Fire should be #1 in 2004

in my opinion :D

Agree!

Or maybe The Marshall Mathers LP could be #1 for 2000. But not Stankonia.

Did you two look at the criteria? I agree with Johnny about Marshall Mathers ahead of Stankonia, but agree with the list about having both ahead of Kid A. The popularity advantage those 2 have would seem to be too large to be made up for by whatever small advantage Kid A might have in other parts of the criteria. Keeping that in mind, Jay-Z over the Strokes and Green Day and Kanye over Arcade Fire are also understandable.

>Isn't aware that Kid A is continuously named the best album of the 2000's

What I'm aware of is that that would be beside the point even if it's not a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
>Names artists instead of individual albums as his argument

Apparently you didn't understand that I was referring to individual albums when I used the artists' names. Otherwise, I don't know what your point could be.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:30 pm 

How is that beside the point when acclaim is a criterion?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Brian wrote:
I agree with Johnny about Marshall Mathers ahead of Stankonia, but agree with the list about having both ahead of Kid A. The popularity advantage those 2 have would seem to be too large to be made up for by whatever small advantage Kid A might have in other parts of the criteria.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

"Beside the point" wasn't the best choice of words on my part. It would probably have been better to have said that BP's statement was a non sequitur. If I say that Marshall Mathers and Stankonia beat Kid A by a big enough margin in popularity to make up for whatever small advantage Kid A may have in other parts of the criteria, and the response is that I must not know that Kid A does very well in another part of the criteria, it seems clear that what I said wasn't understood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 pm 

I think that By the Way should be included for the year 2002.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:49 am 

2008 must have been a pretty bad year if Kings of Leon are #3 :ugh:

Bruce wrote:
Brett Alan wrote:
Number one has to be The E.N.D. by Black Eyed Peas. Over 12 million copies sold, huge radio airplay, already having a significant influence on other artists.

I don't know anything about this album, but I see it's very low rated on Rate Your Music (1.82 out of 5.00 with over 600 ratings) and it's not even listed on acclaimedmusic.net, which lists over 50 albums from 2009.

Apparently this is a huge album with the general public, but the critics and the hard core music fans hate it. Sounds like the Grease soundtrack.

I kind of agree of Bruce here. "I Gotta Feeling" was an absolute monster; it was tied for the second-longest run at #1 in Hot 100 history (14 weeks), plus another 8 from "Boom Boom Pow" and "Imma Be" (although the latter was in 2010). I think that kind of popularity (not to mention worldwide) can compensate for its lack of acclaim and put it over a critical darling like MPP or The XX.