It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Criteria: The artists are ranked on their influence, popularity, and acclaim in the particular decade.

1960s

1. The Who
2. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. The Kinks
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Cream
6. The Doors
7. The Stooges
8. MC5
9. The Jeff Beck Group
10. Steppenwolf


1970s

1. Led Zeppelin
2. The Who
3. Black Sabbath
4. The Ramones
5. Queen
6. Sex Pistols
7. Deep Purple
8. Aerosmith
9. AC/DC
10. KISS

1980s

1. Guns n Roses
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Def Leppard
5. Van Halen
6. Bon Jovi
7. Red Hot Chili Peppers
8. Rush
9. Judas Priest
10. Motorhead

1990s

1. Nirvana
2. Pearl Jam
3. Rage Against the Machine
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
5. Soundgarden
6. Alice in Chains
7. Faith No More
8. Smashing Pumpkins
9. Nine Inch Nails
10. The Offspring

2000s
1. The White Stripes
2. Foo Fighters
3. Queens of the Stone Age
4. Green Day
5. Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Linkin Park
7. Tool
8. System of a Down
9. The Black Keys
10. The Offspring


Last edited by Bones on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:02 am, edited 17 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 29519
Not a bad start. Lynyrd Skynyrd's first release was in 1973. Thin Lizzy's was 1971.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
They were the Noble Five back then and you're right about Thin Lizzy. How about this for a revision?:

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Steppenwolf
10. Blue Cheer


Last edited by Bones on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:54 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4500
Rock N Herbs wrote:
They were the Noble Five back then and you're right about Thin Lizzy. How about this for a revision?:

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


The Noble Five? What in the world did they do? Did they even release a record?

I mean, ever heard of Blue Cheer or Steppenwolf, two bands who were absolutely critical to the birth of heavy metal? Iron Butterfly? Ten Years After? Amboy Dukes?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Brett Alan wrote:
Rock N Herbs wrote:
They were the Noble Five back then and you're right about Thin Lizzy. How about this for a revision?:

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


The Noble Five? What in the world did they do? Did they even release a record?

I mean, ever heard of Blue Cheer or Steppenwolf, two bands who were absolutely critical to the birth of heavy metal? Iron Butterfly? Ten Years After? Amboy Dukes?
Haha, good point. Those two will be included.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
List has been updated on the front page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
Quote:
60s

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


As much as I LOVE the original lineup of Deep Purple, I would not considem them hard rock. They were psychedelic rock with blues and classical touches thrown in. Mark 1 Purple doesnt even have a handful of songs that would be considered hard rock, imo. Obviously it wasnt until Gillan and Glover joined...

Why is Lynyrd Skynyrd here??! :eh: :eh: :eh:

To be honest, I'm not even sure if Zeppelin should be that high. They released two albums shortly before the decade came to an end.

You're forgetting The Sonics, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, and others.

Possibly The Kinks too, depending on how you view their lack of consistent hard rock material.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Negative Creep wrote:
Quote:
60s

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


As much as I LOVE the original lineup of Deep Purple, I would not considem them hard rock. They were psychedelic rock with blues and classical touches thrown in. Mark 1 Purple doesnt even have a handful of songs that would be considered hard rock, imo. Obviously it wasnt until Gillan and Glover joined...

Why is Lynyrd Skynyrd here??! :eh: :eh: :eh:

To be honest, I'm not even sure if Zeppelin should be that high. They released two albums shortly before the decade came to an end.

You're forgetting The Sonics, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, and others.

Possibly The Kinks too, depending on how you view their lack of consistent hard rock material.


Zeppelin's 60s material was all of their influence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
I updated the list though, what do you think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
Rock N Herbs wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Quote:
60s

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


As much as I LOVE the original lineup of Deep Purple, I would not considem them hard rock. They were psychedelic rock with blues and classical touches thrown in. Mark 1 Purple doesnt even have a handful of songs that would be considered hard rock, imo. Obviously it wasnt until Gillan and Glover joined...

Why is Lynyrd Skynyrd here??! :eh: :eh: :eh:

To be honest, I'm not even sure if Zeppelin should be that high. They released two albums shortly before the decade came to an end.

You're forgetting The Sonics, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, and others.

Possibly The Kinks too, depending on how you view their lack of consistent hard rock material.


Zeppelin's 60s material was all of their influence.


Yes but your criteria says "within each decade". How could they have been influential within the 60's if they didnt release their first two albums until 1969?

You say Zeppelin's 60's material is all of their influence, but it's actually all of their influence OVER FOLLOWING YEARS.

You follow me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Negative Creep wrote:
Rock N Herbs wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Quote:
60s

1. Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Cream
5. The Stooges
6. MC5
7. Deep Purple
8. Grand Funk Railroad
9. Noble Five/Lynyrd Skynyrd
10. Monks


As much as I LOVE the original lineup of Deep Purple, I would not considem them hard rock. They were psychedelic rock with blues and classical touches thrown in. Mark 1 Purple doesnt even have a handful of songs that would be considered hard rock, imo. Obviously it wasnt until Gillan and Glover joined...

Why is Lynyrd Skynyrd here??! :eh: :eh: :eh:

To be honest, I'm not even sure if Zeppelin should be that high. They released two albums shortly before the decade came to an end.

You're forgetting The Sonics, Iron Butterfly, Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, and others.

Possibly The Kinks too, depending on how you view their lack of consistent hard rock material.


Zeppelin's 60s material was all of their influence.


Yes but your criteria says "within each decade". How could they have been influential within the 60's if they didnt release their first two albums until 1969?

You say Zeppelin's 60's material is all of their influence, but it's actually all of their influence OVER FOLLOWING YEARS.

You follow me?


Well who do you see going above them?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Cream
4. The Doors
5. The Jeff Beck Group
6. The Kinks
7. Big Brother & The Holding Company
8. Iron Butterfly
9. Vanilla Fudge
10. Steppenwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Negative Creep wrote:
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. The Who
3. Cream
4. The Doors
5. The Jeff Beck Group
6. The Kinks
7. Big Brother & The Holding Company
8. Iron Butterfly
9. Vanilla Fudge
10. Steppenwolf


Whats your point on Steppenwolf being higher than Zep?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
Well Zeppelin released two albums at the very LAST year of the decade. Steppenwolf already had three well-known albums out by late '69. And their signature tune "Born To Be Wild" was ALREADY starting to become huge thanks to the movie 'Easy Rider'.

Obviously if it were a 70's list, Zep would be #1 or #2.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Hard Rock Artists of Each Decade.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:18 pm
Posts: 10775
Location: Nowhere
Negative Creep wrote:
Well Zeppelin released two albums at the very LAST year of the decade. Steppenwolf already had three well-known albums out by late '69. And their signature tune "Born To Be Wild" was ALREADY starting to become huge thanks to the movie 'Easy Rider'.

Obviously if it were a 70's list, Zep would be #1 or #2.


True.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page