DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Songs Of The 1960s
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm 

Bruce wrote:
There's more to the public's decisions than merely saying the most popular ones are the best ones, but either way, the pubice decides.

We don't ask Burger King, McDonalds and Wendy's to decide who makes the best burgers, the public decides that.

And they have voted with their wallets. They have voted overwhelmingly for McDonald's hamburgers. And when the public makes a single #1 on the charts, they have similarly voted for that song with their wallets. But if that's what "The Best" is, well... I'm not sure "initial impact" ought to be the weightiest part of the criteria.

Bruce wrote:
As for "Candle In The Wind," I'd much rather own the publishing rights on that song than to own the publishing rights on "My Generation."

Yeah, but does that make it an inherrently greater song? I suppose it depends on one's definition of great. Pat Boone's "Tutti Frutti" outsold Little Richard's. Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View has outsold every Bob Dylan album. By a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
There's more to the public's decisions than merely saying the most popular ones are the best ones, but either way, the pubice decides.

We don't ask Burger King, McDonalds and Wendy's to decide who makes the best burgers, the public decides that.

And they have voted with their wallets. They have voted overwhelmingly for McDonald's hamburgers. And when the public makes a single #1 on the charts, they have similarly voted for that song with their wallets. But if that's what "The Best" is, well... I'm not sure "initial impact" ought to be the weightiest part of the criteria.

Bruce wrote:
As for "Candle In The Wind," I'd much rather own the publishing rights on that song than to own the publishing rights on "My Generation."

Yeah, but does that make it an inherrently greater song? I suppose it depends on one's definition of great. Pat Boone's "Tutti Frutti" outsold Little Richard's. Hootie and the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View has outsold every Bob Dylan album. By a lot.

There's a difference with the hamburgers, people would buy better burgers if they could afford them. Most people who eat at McDonalds would prefer a steak if they could afford it. McDonalds is just a convenient and affordable place to eat.

Boone's "Tutti Frutti" was the flip side of an even bigger hit, his version of the Flamingos "I'll Be Home," so it's not really fair to compare its sales head to head with Richard's "TF" which did not have a popular flip side. We don;t really know what percentage of the single's sales were for "I'll Be Home," which were for "TF" and which sales may have been for both sides.

As for popular music, who are we to tell the general public that we know better than they do as do which music is good?

The ONLY part of the criteria of any of these lists that is truly objective is the "initial popularity" part. Everything else is subjective.

If a record was number one for 4 weeks, that is totally objective. That will not change from editor to editor.

But influence, impact, even lasting popularity to a degree, are subjective. If influence was truly objective than you wouldn't have different editors disagreeing on which artists were more influential. The top editors on the site can't even agree if Elvis or the Beatles were more influential, let alone all kinds of other pairings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 pm 

Bruce wrote:
The ONLY part of the criteria of any of these lists that is truly objective is the "initial popularity" part. Everything else is subjective.

Can't argue with that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm 

Bruce wrote:

If anyone suggested that "My Generation" should be placed on a list of the 100 Most Valuable Copyrights, they were wrong. B^)

Yes, popularity is objective, but it's only part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:07 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Who is Rick?

Instead of saying "when I was in college" he drops the name UCLA as
if we are supposed to be impressed because he went to school there.
And the shit about his "musician friends."

Like we are supposed to believe that he heard psychedelic music
already in 1962.

If you don't know what I'm talking about check the forum for his
psychedelic list.

A post here has violated the following rule of ddd.com's registration agreement and therefore has been deleted........

8. Conduct: Posters are expected to keep a certain level of respect between each other while posting on the forum. Physical threats, mindless attacks of another posters character, or useless remarks meant only as jabs at someone else have no place on the forum. Posters who frequently abuse this rule will be banished from the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 pm 

Bruce wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
That's the only list I could find with "Sunshine of Your Love" higher than "My Generation".

Here's a listener voted top songs of all time from 1987 on the most significant New York City AOR station. The two songs are close to each other.

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelected ... adid=79059

34. MY GENERATION - WHO
42. SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE - CREAM

You'll like the list, there's two Who songs in the top ten.

notices the number of songs by Zeppelin in the top 50 .....damn.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

Suspicious Minds in 212#? :naughty:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 pm 

Louie Louie being that high is laughable, imo....
Cool little radio sing-along tune and whatnot, but it wasn't a landmark for rock music at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Louie Louie being that high is laughable, imo....
Cool little radio sing-along tune and whatnot, but it wasn't a landmark for rock music at all.

You're wrong. It's an all time classic known by people of all ages, transcending rock and roll. The first modern hit rock record in the US, before any of the British stuff made it here. It's one of the best known songs of all time. There was even an FBI investigation into the lyrics at the time.

Dave Marsh ranks it as the #11 single of all time in his "1,001 Greatest Rock and Soul Singles" book.

It's also the #11 most critically acclaimed song of the 1960s, on acclaimedmusic.net.

1 Bob Dylan Like a Rolling Stone 1965
2 The Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 1965
3 The Beach Boys Good Vibrations 1966
4 Aretha Franklin Respect 1967
5 Marvin Gaye I Heard It Through the Grapevine 1968
6 Otis Redding (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay 1968
7 The Ronettes Be My Baby 1963
8 The Who My Generation 1965
9 The Beatles Strawberry Fields Forever 1967
10 The Beatles A Day in the Life 1967
11 The Kingsmen Louie Louie

How many other songs have had an album of various versions of the song?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:53 am 

Lmao, I cant see the "transcendence" there...
I'm not saying it wasn't a huge song, but to have it above the likes of Good Vibrations and Like A Rolling Stone?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:49 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
I'm not saying it wasn't a huge song, but to have it above the likes of Good Vibrations and Like A Rolling Stone?

The transendence is things like that you'll even here college bands play the song sometimes in the halftime show. They certainly are not playing "Good Vibrations" or "Like A Rolling Stone."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP-3FgHcTYY

There have been plenty of non rock versions of "Louie Louie."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ToFSOi8pnY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 am 

You wanna talk about songs that were covered A LOT? You have Yesterday all the way down at #28....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 am 

ClashWho wrote:
All right, everyone knows I'm a huge Who fan and all, but, c'mon, does anyone really think "Sunshine of Your Love", for example, is a greater rock song than "My Generation"?

I agree, My Generation was a forerunner to punk and hard rock.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:39 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
You wanna talk about songs that were covered A LOT? You have Yesterday all the way down at #28....

It was REMADE a lot, yes.

"Yesterday" is not really rock. It's on the list because it was orignated by a rock artist and was played on rock stations, but it has to be penalized some on a ROCK list.

I have it much higher on the "500 Greatest Popular Recordings" list.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_ ... pular.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:

The transendence is things like that you'll even here college bands play the song sometimes in the halftime show. They certainly are not playing "Good Vibrations" or "Like A Rolling Stone."

Actually....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72ZJbRQYJk

(University of Michigan marching band does "Good Vibrations" and "Fun Fun Fun".)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next