Negative Creep wrote:
Why dont you and Clash think ADitL is top 10? That song was a huge influence on progressive rock in general, probably as much as I Wanna Hold Your Hand was on "power pop".
We're talking top ten of all time here. The fact that songs were influences on sub-genres that never really got all that big with the general public (prog, power pop) isn't enough to get you into the top ten of all time.
Here's what I would go with:
1. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
2. Respect - Aretha Franklin
3. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
4. Louie Louie - Kingsmen
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
6. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
7. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
8. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets
9. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
10. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
The Beatles would likely have the most songs on the list, but I don't see any one of those songs as viable for the top ten. Perhaps because none of them stands out as far above the others.
I see all of these as being in the top 300. Maybe a couple of others too.
Hey Jude - Beatles
She Loves You - Beatles
A Day In The Life - Beatles
I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles
Yesterday - Beatles
I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles
Ticket To Ride - Beatles
Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles
Let It Be - The Beatles
Revolution - Beatles
A Hard Day's Night - Beatles
I Feel Fine - Beatles
Twist And Shout - Beatles