It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Music Artists Of The 1970's
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 am 

R&B is a genre of rock after about 1960. Before that, it was a synonym for rock. But anyway, I don't feel like commenting on the actual comparisons, so I'll just clarify what "Commercial Impact" means. I believe it means record sales and chart position.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:57 am 

Taro wrote:
Musical and Commercial Impact - I don't know what is commercial impact but in musical impact Led Zeppelin wins

Nah, Stevie wins.

Taro wrote:
Influence - Led Zeppelin easily

More like tie.

Taro wrote:
Importance of their Recorded Work from 1970-1979 only - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence, In Through the Out Door - enough said)

Stevie Wonder (Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, Songs in the Key of Life, Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants - enough said)

Sorry Zeps, but you can't surpass the Stevie wonder in its pinnacle.

And Wonder is more like a R&B which is as rock as LedZep. Boom, bam!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 am 

pauldrach wrote:
Taro wrote:
Musical and Commercial Impact - I don't know what is commercial impact but in musical impact Led Zeppelin wins

Nah, Stevie wins.

Taro wrote:
Influence - Led Zeppelin easily

More like tie.

Taro wrote:
Importance of their Recorded Work from 1970-1979 only - Led Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence, In Through the Out Door - enough said)

Stevie Wonder (Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, Songs in the Key of Life, Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants - enough said)

Sorry Zeps, but you can't surpass the Stevie wonder in its pinnacle.

And Wonder is more like a R&B which is as rock as LedZep. Boom, bam!

Stevie Wonder influenced people only by his singing and perhaps keyboards playing, while Led Zep was an immense influence on Hard rock and Heavy metal. Robert Plant - the greatest rock vocalist after Mercury, Page - one of the best guitarists (only behind of Hendrix, Beck and Clapton), JPJ - a great bass player and keyboardist, Bonham - The best drummer along with Keith Moon. And this, taken together, creates much more influence than Stevie.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01 am 

Taro wrote:
Stevie Wonder influenced people only by his singing and perhaps keyboards playing

So wrong.

Taro wrote:
while Led Zep was an immense influence on Hard rock and Heavy metal.

Yah, that's true.

Taro wrote:
Robert Plant - the greatest rock vocalist after Mercury, Page - one of the best guitarists (only behind of Hendrix, Beck and Clapton), JPJ - a great bass player and keyboardist, Bonham - The best drummer along with Keith Moon. And this, taken together, creates much more influence than Stevie.

You're one of those funny people who thinks music is only about instrumental prowess. That's very funny of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Taro wrote:
Stevie Wonder influenced people only by his singing and perhaps keyboards playing, while Led Zep was an immense influence on Hard rock and Heavy metal. Robert Plant - the greatest rock vocalist after Mercury, Page - one of the best guitarists (only behind of Hendrix, Beck and Clapton), JPJ - a great bass player and keyboardist, Bonham - The best drummer along with Keith Moon. And this, taken together, creates much more influence than Stevie.

Instrumental skill =/= influence. Zep is a very influential artist, but much of their influence comes from their '60s music, which would count toward their placement on the '60s list, not this one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm 

Taro wrote:
Stevie Wonder influenced people only by his singing and perhaps keyboards playing

How about his songwriting?

Taro wrote:
Robert Plant - the greatest rock vocalist after Mercury

According to what? DDD?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:17 am 

Not according to DDD, it seems. We have Jackie Wilson at #2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:14 am 

Brian wrote:
Instrumental skill =/= influence. Zep is a very influential artist, but much of their influence comes from their '60s music, which would count toward their placement on the '60s list, not this one.

It doesn't matter. Zep have released 80% of their albms in the 70s, hence they were more influental in that decade.

ClashWho wrote:
How about his songwriting?

How about Zep's songwriting?

pgm wrote:
Not according to DDD, it seems. We have Jackie Wilson at #2.

According to the revision, he's at #2.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 am 

Oh. That's pretty lame. That would be like having Jimmy Page as the second best guitarist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:27 am 

pgm wrote:
Oh. That's pretty lame. That would be like having Jimmy Page as the second best guitarist.

I never told that. Though I think that he must be higher than Van Halen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 am 

Taro wrote:
It doesn't matter. Zep have released 80% of their albms in the 70s, hence they were more influental in that decade.

But not more influential than Stevie Wonder.

Taro wrote:
How about Zep's songwriting?

Stealing old blues tracks, re-working them and slapping Page's name on the credits? Stunning :zoid:

Taro wrote:
According to the revision, he's at #2.

And? According to Rolling Stone, he's #15. I've seen lists with him at #22, #27 [behind the likes of Josh Groban and the lead singer of Tokio Hotel (!!)], #30 (below Ted Nugent, King Diamond and Chuck Billy) and countless others with him far lower that #2.
Yeah, the list on this site was assembled by professional vocalists with lots of expertise and knowledge on the subject who actually researched their stuff, but doesn't mean it's the truth, it's still just a bunch of people saying 'Robert Plant is the 2nd greatest male rock vocalist after Freddie Mercury' (no disrespect meant). There are people who'd laud several others as the 'best singer of all time' before even considering peeps like Freddie and Robert. Doesn't mean anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 am 

Machine Head wrote:
Stealing old blues tracks, re-working them and slapping Page's name on the credits? Stunning :zoid:

No, don't be silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 am 

Sorry Georgi. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 am 

Machine Head wrote:
And? According to Rolling Stone, he's #15.

Rolling Stone that stinky rat magazine. But he is still ahead of Mercury ;) Take care...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 am 

Taro wrote:
I never told that. Though I think that he must be higher than Van Halen.

Oh, I never said you did. I just thought it would be a bit silly to have him at #2.

Machine Head wrote:

Most of what was stolen was lyrics. Zeppelin were pretty great in the song writing department.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 32  Next