DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Artists Of The 2000's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:59 pm 

dumb fuck spears should be 333 not 3 guys look at the old list man she didnt make top 200

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:28 am 

the old list sucked. :parrot:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:02 pm 

pave wrote:
the old list sucked. :parrot:

in fact all the 2000's lists

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 pm 

Maybe if you move Spears down to #7 the list will look better. (I am not sure that she should be ahead of Beyonce).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:53 pm 

Britney Spears had the major popularity and cultural impact (ie sales, charting etc.) for the early years of the decade, and influence in later parts (from some female pop artists). No critical acclaim to speak of, though. I personally don't think she belongs in the Top 10.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 pm 

no critical acclaim? at all? all of her albums have been consistently 60+ on metacritic, she's just outside of the top 100 of the decade on acclaimedmusic, a handful of grammy noms, hell she even popped up on Pitchfork's end of the decade list. she's no Outkast or Radiohead in the critical acclaim department, but she isn't Staind either.

the thing is, she doesnt need as much critical acclaim as the others either. because she's one of only a couple artists during the decade that became bigger than music itself for a time (i would argue the only other two are Em and Kanye to a lesser degree, who i plan on moving up probably to 2 and letting Radiohead and Britney slide down a spot).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 pm 

that was supposed to say "little critical acclaim to speak of" :oops:

My intent (that critical acclaim is the one criteria where she falls somewhat short) remains.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:55 pm 

pave wrote:
are we even talking about music anymore, or just marketing terms? the kind of music that Britney does isn't even that far off from where rock n roll started, and certainly not as radical of a shift as hip hop, prog, or metal had at points in time. small influences have been added over time, sure (eurodance and electronica), but its still firmly rooted in early 70s funk and R&B. you can see a direct line from Stevie Wonder to MJ to what we call "pop" today. and its evolution has been fairly slow.

Don't take my comments as an argument for Spear's being moved down or anything. I was merely pointing out that much Prog Rock music is aesthetically very similar to Rock n' Roll music.

I don't have a massive interest in the lists in this section beyond their function as conversation starters. I don't much care for greatest lists in general, but I much prefer the musicians musician approach to one based more around sales. This is largely because it shines the spotlight on lesser known, but no less important artists.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 am 

Pave, would you mind giving me your thoughts on my comment from page 1?

pgm wrote:
Even though Britney is the big symbol of American dance pop, I don't think she's the biggest influence. She is not as influential in her field as Kanye or Jay-Z in theirs (also two extremely popular artists). She also doesn't have the critical/musical acclaim that they have (nor OutKast or Beyonce). She unquestioningly has cultural impact (even ignoring the tabloid impact of her breakdown). Maybe it just looks weird seeing her above Jay-Z or Kanye. Sort of as if the list has an early decade bias.

That being said, her placement is the only one that looks controversial on this list and I'm sure you took everything I just said into account when making the list. So, I say "good job."

Although, out of the two, Kanye is the one who should most likely be above Britney.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 am 

pgm wrote:
Pave, would you mind giving me your thoughts on my comment from page 1?

pgm wrote:
Even though Britney is the big symbol of American dance pop, I don't think she's the biggest influence. She is not as influential in her field as Kanye or Jay-Z in theirs (also two extremely popular artists). She also doesn't have the critical/musical acclaim that they have (nor OutKast or Beyonce). She unquestioningly has cultural impact (even ignoring the tabloid impact of her breakdown). Maybe it just looks weird seeing her above Jay-Z or Kanye. Sort of as if the list has an early decade bias.

That being said, her placement is the only one that looks controversial on this list and I'm sure you took everything I just said into account when making the list. So, I say "good job."

Although, out of the two, Kanye is the one who should most likely be above Britney.

your comments are spot on. my top three was meant to be symbolic of the three distinct splits in rock music. but i'm revising that idea, for all the reasons you point out. and i plan on actually making Kanye and Jay Z 2nd and 3rd with Radiohead 4th followed by Britney and Beyonce.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:00 pm 

ROCK artists?????

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm 

:mrgreen: :cool: :parrot: :metal: :cheers: :shark: :tongue:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:20 pm 

beyonddeities wrote:
ROCK artists?????

For the 73rd time,

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/w ... -rock.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 pm 

Georgi wrote:
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/why-rap-is-rock.html

LONG TEXT MAKES BRITNEY AND 50 CENT SOUND LIKE LED ZEPPELIN.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm 

sorry oh god sorry :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next