DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Rock Artists Of The 2000's
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:41 pm 

Ace of Spades wrote:
lukat93 wrote:
. Their music is better, and it seems you don't take too much care of that, do you? A case with most listmakers.

Do you see the word "best" anywhere in the title of this list/thread?

No, but I thought if we were to determine the greatness of something, we would first take into consideration how good it is.

Do you see the word "best" in my post? I'm not going to say something is the best, but I can say "better", if we're to talk in earthly terms.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:56 pm 

are you aware that JT and Britney are both above Tool on acclaimedmusic's list of most acclaimed artists of the decade? objectively, the are "better". you may not like their music, but its more acclaimed than Tool's.

and just to counter your personal opinion with another (although its irrelevant to the list), both JT and Britney's music is more fun to listen to than Tool's. the songwriting is tighter. they have charisma. the production is better. i could go on.

love Danny Carey though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:24 pm 

pave wrote:
are you aware that JT and Britney are both above Tool on acclaimedmusic's list of most acclaimed artists of the decade? objectively, the are "better". you may not like their music, but its more acclaimed than Tool's.

and just to counter your personal opinion with another (although its irrelevant to the list), both JT and Britney's music is more fun to listen to than Tool's. the songwriting is tighter. they have charisma. the production is better. i could go on.

love Danny Carey though.

I agree with everything you say, but Britney Spears has the charisma of a wasp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 pm 

lukat93 wrote:
Ace of Spades wrote:
lukat93 wrote:
. Their music is better, and it seems you don't take too much care of that, do you? A case with most listmakers.

No, but I thought if we were to determine the greatness of something, we would first take into consideration how good it is.

How do you do that? If you love Tool and other people consider them unlistenable crap, and other people love Justin Timberlake and you consider him unlistenable crap, how do we go about determining who is right and who is wrong? That's why the majority of lists on DD don't consider what's "good"--there's no real way to evaluate that. Acclaim and influence are often byproducts of being good, but they're more objective.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 am 

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware of acclaimedmusic's list...Maybe because I don't give a fuck about it.

I don't like talking to fools, so could you delete my account or something...I'm anyway off this stupid forum from now on.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:59 am 

Good riddance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 am 

Another one bites the dust?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:56 pm 

Dang guys, I think we need to revise the criteria

Criteria: populatiry, influence, impact, lukat93's opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:46 pm 

Brett Alan wrote:
lukat93 wrote:
Ace of Spades wrote:

How do you do that? If you love Tool and other people consider them unlistenable crap, and other people love Justin Timberlake and you consider him unlistenable crap, how do we go about determining who is right and who is wrong? That's why the majority of lists on DD don't consider what's "good"--there's no real way to evaluate that. Acclaim and influence are often byproducts of being good, but they're more objective.

Which is exactly why this site has become a breeding ground for wankers, and a complete hole in terms of actually progressing your musical journey anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am 

explain? i don't get what you are arguing. it seems as if you are saying that trying to be objective with the lists is killing individual journeys to artistic understand. ??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm 

Jestercide wrote:
Brett Alan wrote:

Which is exactly why this site has become a breeding ground for wankers, and a complete hole in terms of actually progressing your musical journey anymore.

So if we made it just lists of people's personal favorites, you think that that would reduce wankerism and improve people's musical journeys? I don't see that. I think we'd end up with a bunch of classic-rock radio listeners making lists of Pink Floyd songs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 am 

the fact that Britney Spears can be on ANY best rock list, let alone the top 10, shows us how terrible the 00's were. Really, it's sad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 am 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
the fact that Britney Spears can be on ANY best rock list, let alone the top 10, shows us how terrible the 00's were. Really, it's sad.

Good thing it isn't a best list then, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:

not any more sad than the top 20 inclusion of The Eagles, Bee Gees, and Chicago on the 70s list. or Stevie's 60s work. or the worst:

80s Greatest Artists
3. Madonna
9. Billy Joel
11. Phil Collins
13. Def Leppard
14. Janet Jackson
15. George Michael/Wham
16. Whitney Houston
17. Metallica

also, the fact that the top ten here also includes Outkast, Eminem, The White Stripes and Radiohead show me how good the 00s really were.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm 

pave wrote:

love Danny Carey though.

I honestly think Tool, Dream Theater, and Coldplay are the best artists still making albums in the 00's. I think Tool's creativity, skill, and lyrical genius outwits nearly every other band around now, but they aren't that popular and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but hey, IMO, they are genius :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next