DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top 5 New Rock Artists Of Each Year
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am 

Ivory Joe Hunter
Joe Liggins

Bruce wrote:
1 - Penguins
2 - Roy Hamilton
3 - Elvis Presley
4 - Chords
5 - Diablos

Wasn't "My Happiness" out in '53?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am 

Adam wrote:

Ivory Joe Hunter
Joe Liggins

Bruce wrote:
1 - Penguins
2 - Roy Hamilton
3 - Elvis Presley
4 - Chords
5 - Diablos

Wasn't "My Happiness" out in '53?

No

It was recorded then, but not released until decades later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:14 pm 

Bruce wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
That's bullshit. The Who's first release is "I Can't Explain" in January of 1965.

So you're saying that every time someone changes their name, they are now considered a new artist all over again?

Is Chicago a new artist in 1970 since they used to be the Chicago Transit Authority in 1969?

I'd say no, because that's an abbreviation.

Bruce wrote:
How about Paul Simon...is he a new artist with his first release as "Paul Simon" even though he released several records many year earlier as Jerry Landis?

Yes.

Bruce wrote:
What about CCR, who had the same members but were known as the Golliwogs in the mid-60s?

Yes.

But do what you want. It's your list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 pm 

Bruce wrote:
The Detours changed their name to The Who in February 1964, taking the suggestion of Townshend's roommate Richard Barnes, and, with the arrival of Moon that year, the line-up was complete. However, for a short period in summer 1964, under the management of mod Peter Meaden, they changed their name to The High Numbers, releasing "Zoot Suit/I'm the Face", a single aimed at appealing to mod fans. The single failed to chart, and the band reverted to The Who.

Since you posted this twice, I have to ask: Do you think you're telling me something I don't know? Because that would be hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:06 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The Detours changed their name to The Who in February 1964, taking the suggestion of Townshend's roommate Richard Barnes, and, with the arrival of Moon that year, the line-up was complete. However, for a short period in summer 1964, under the management of mod Peter Meaden, they changed their name to The High Numbers, releasing "Zoot Suit/I'm the Face", a single aimed at appealing to mod fans. The single failed to chart, and the band reverted to The Who.

Since you posted this twice, I have to ask: Do you think you're telling me something I don't know? Because that would be hilarious.

I think I'm reposting something that you don't seem to be comprehending.

The entity that was made of of Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and Jon Entwistle released their first record in 1964. The fact that they went back and forth with what to call themselves is not relevant to when they debuted as recording artists.

The two songs that they released in 1964 have appeared on several comps over the years by The Who, acknowledging that the songs are part of their catalog.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:15 pm 

Clash,
This is what I was talking about, you're completely irrational when it comes to those four guys, then you lash out at others (James Brown, what'd HE do to affect the Who's name change?) in frustration and all of it just reinforces the perception that you'd eagerly commit numerous crimes against nature if doing so would move the Who up on a list. :nono:

What about commenting on Amos Milburn or The Penguins or Bill Withers or any number of others not named "The Who"...it's always interesting to hear what you have to say about the thousands of other artists in rock history. But seeing more Who complaints is like forcing to undergo open heart surgery without being put under.

It's a good idea for a list, Bruce is being fair with the parameters and explained it thoroughly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:22 pm 

Bruce wrote:
1 - Del Shannon
2 - Marcels
3 - Marvelettes
4 - Lee Dorsey
5 - Jive Five

Dorsey's first records came out in 1958, not '61.

Bruce wrote:
1 - Four Seasons
2 - Little Eva
3 - Booker T. & the MG's
4 - Beatles
5 - Duprees

We're not counting the Four Lovers when it comes to the Seasons?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm 

Sampson wrote:
Bruce wrote:
1 - Del Shannon
2 - Marcels
3 - Marvelettes
4 - Lee Dorsey
5 - Jive Five

Bruce wrote:
1 - Four Seasons
2 - Little Eva
3 - Booker T. & the MG's
4 - Beatles
5 - Duprees

We're not counting the Four Lovers when it comes to the Seasons?

Okay, thanks, I see he was on Rex in 1959 so Dorsey is out and Gene Chandler is now in for 1961.

Only two members of the Four Seasons were also in the Four Lovers. What do you think? I could shitcan the Four Seasons if they don't qualify and give Bob Dylan the 5th spot for 1962 maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:13 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
And James Brown is on the list for 1956? For what? Because of "Please, Please, Please"?

Mainly, although he did have 5 singles (10 songs) released that year.

Federal 12258 - Please, Please, Please / Why Do You Do Me - 1956
Federal 12264 - I Don't Know / I Feel That Old Feeling Coming On - 1956
Federal 12277 - No, No, No / Hold My Baby's Hand - 1956
Federal 12289 - Just Won't Do Right / Let's Make It - 1956
Federal 12290 - I Won't Plead No More / Chonnie On Chon - 1956

Who would you propose to replace James Brown in 1956? That single is one of the landmark records in rock history.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:21 pm 

Sampson wrote:
Clash,
This is what I was talking about, you're completely irrational when it comes to those four guys, then you lash out at others (James Brown, what'd HE do to affect the Who's name change?) in frustration and all of it just reinforces the perception that you'd eagerly commit numerous crimes against nature if doing so would move the Who up on a list. :nono:

What about commenting on Amos Milburn or The Penguins or Bill Withers or any number of others not named "The Who"...it's always interesting to hear what you have to say about the thousands of other artists in rock history. But seeing more Who complaints is like forcing to undergo open heart surgery without being put under.

It's a good idea for a list, Bruce is being fair with the parameters and explained it thoroughly.

Here's what's REALLY bugging him....

1 - Led Zeppelin

PERHAPS the greatest first calender year ever for an artist. Two all time classic albums in their first year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 pm 

Sampson wrote:
Bruce wrote:
1 - Del Shannon
2 - Marcels
3 - Marvelettes
4 - Lee Dorsey
5 - Jive Five

If you see anything else, I appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm 

Sampson wrote:
Clash,

Puh-leaze. Omitting The Who because of The High Numbers, and omitting CCR because of The Golliwogs, is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 pm 

Bruce wrote:
The entity that was made of of Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and Jon Entwistle released their first record in 1964. The fact that they went back and forth with what to call themselves is not relevant to when they debuted as recording artists.

The Who's recording debut is "I Can't Explain" in January of 1965.

Bruce wrote:
The two songs that they released in 1964 have appeared on several comps over the years by The Who, acknowledging that the songs are part of their catalog.

Always credited to The High Numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Here's what's REALLY bugging him....

1 - Led Zeppelin

PERHAPS the greatest first calender year ever for an artist. Two all time classic albums in their first year.

Nope. Their first calender year was 1968. They were called The New Yardbirds and officially toured under that name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:12 pm 

It seems like Bull Moose Jackson's debut single on Queen (a version of "The Honeydripper") came out in 1945.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next