It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next
 Post subject: Greatest Live Rock Artists
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:21 am 

GREATEST LIVE ROCK ARTISTS

EDITOR: SAMPSON
http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_liveband.html

CRITERIA: Based upon reputation within music circles at their peak, consistancy at maintaining that high performance level over time, the impact of their live performances on their own career and influence on the evolution of live performances as a whole.

1. James Brown
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Elvis Presley
4. The Who
5. Otis Redding
6. Ike & Tina Turner
7. The Rolling Stones
8. Solomon Burke
9. Michael Jackson
10. Parliament/Funkadelic
11. Bo Diddley
12. Sam & Dave
13. Queen
14. Led Zeppelin
15. Jackie Wilson
16. The Grateful Dead
17. Little Richard
18. Jimi Hendrix
19. Fats Domino
20. AC/DC
21. Sam Cooke
22. The Allman Brothers Band
23. U2
24. Big Jay McNeely
25. Jerry Lee Lewis

26. Prince
27. Pearl Jam
28. Van Halen
29. The Temptations
30. Elton John
31. Bill Haley & The Comets
32. Bob Marley
33. Cream
34. Janis Joplin
35. Billy Joel
36. Janet Jackson
37. The Dominoes
38. The Cadillacs
39. Pink Floyd
40. The Isley Brothers
41. Screamin' Jay Hawkins
42. Alice Cooper
43. Jefferson Airplane
44. Chuck Berry
45. The Roots
46. Kiss
47. Iggy & The Stooges
48. The Treniers
49. Metallica
50. The Beach Boys

51. Bob Dylan
52. Joe Tex
53. Run-D.M.C.
54. Phish
55. Earth, Wind & Fire
56. The Ramones
57. The MC5
58. Madonna
59. The Doors
60. Sly & The Family Stone
61. Rush
62. Public Enemy
63. The Johnny Otis Show
64. Quicksilver Messenger Service
65. The Supremes
66. Aerosmith
67. Stevie Wonder
68. Wynonie Harris
69. Deep Purple
70. Red Hot Chili Peppers
71. Ruth Brown
72. Neil Young
73. Sugar Pie DeSanto
74. Dick Dale
75. Ray Charles

76. Black Sabbath
77. Santana
78. Rufus Thomas
79. Kanye West
80. Johnny "Guitar" Watson
81. Iron Maiden
82. Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
83. Rage Against The Machine
84. Gene Vincent & The Blue Caps
85. Nirvana
86. N.W.A.
87. Sonny Til & The Orioles
88. Digital Underground
89. Judas Priest
90. Yes
91. Isaac Hayes
92. Talking Heads
93. Wu-Tang Clan
94. Van Morrison
95. Professor Longhair
96. Etta James
97. David Bowie
98. The Staple Singers
99. The Sonics
100. The Vibrations

Post subject: Re: Greatest Live Rock Artists
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am 

JUST TO NOTE FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE LIST & CRITERIA CHANGE:

Basically I kept the same criteria as on the old list, just restructured it to represent the prevailing thought of what makes a great live performer by further emphasizing "the artist's reputation at their peak" aspect of the criteria and de-emphasizing the influence on the evolution of live performances.

In the old rankings, where influence was equal to reputation, the Rolling Stones, who invented and popularized the entire current touring method that every major artist since has used, or Fats Domino, who completely shattered racial barriers for audiences, which were two of the most influential aspects ever in rock history, got elevated past their overall reputations (which were still very high) to get them their "controversial" placements and those placements were entirely justified by that specific criteria.

But since the common conception of "great live artists" was and probably always will be How Good They're Perceived To Be On Stage night to night, the list using the criteria as it was originally factored wound up showing something different than the average person would expect to see and resulted in mass confusion. So with the updated list the criteria simply shifted to show something more in line with that common perception and all debate must take into account the current criteria methods used.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:15 pm 

Well, those are the only three artists I can see above The Who without having to vomit shortly afterwards. But, seriously, Sampson, nice work on this list and it's good to see you posting here. I'd like to think that you were persuaded that you had misapplied your previous criteria, but if this new list is really just the result of a tweaked criteria, then I can accept that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:26 pm 

Solomon Burke from 22nd to 8th??? Please teach me about Solomon Burke, because I've been under the impression that he got into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame more because Jann Wenner is in love with him rather than on merit. He was on the ballot like twenty times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 pm 

It seems a little weird seeing The Boss above Who on this list, but I can accept it.

Also, this may sound like a joke, but I really think GWAR need a spot on this list, and maybe in the top fifty. They are a notorious live act and brought performance art in rock music to extreme levels I think. I also think it seems a bit weird having artists like NWA and Kanye on this list (and above Talking Heads?!). It almost seems like they're there for the sake of hip hop being represented. I can easily see why The Roots and Run DMC are up here, but I've never really heard of NWA or Kanye's stage acts being notorious. Kanye draws huge numbers for sure, but moreso as a pop artist rather than a performing artist I think. Maybe you could enlighten me?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:30 pm 

mirroring the apprehension of Dip's post... Marilyn Manson. Can't really be denied.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:29 am 

Kanye's rock? I don't understand anything about this list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 am 

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=260

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:36 am 

No, I... What the hell? I don't know where to begin with this list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:22 pm 

I think is a great list. My only suggestions are to move Hendrix and Nirvana way up and to add The White Stripes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Kanye's rock? I don't understand anything about this list.

Kanye higher than Maiden? :clashwho:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 pm 

While I'm not a huge fan, Maiden's reputation as a stellar live act through 3 decades and counting can't be ignored.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm 

Dipsoid,
GWAR's uniquely interesting to be sure, but their extreme style is basically an offshoot of artists like Screamin' Jay Hawkins, KISS, Alice Cooper and Parliament/Funkadelic, all of whom have them beat in chronology (thereby influence) as well as in each of the other areas of the criteria. (Same could be said for Manson). That GWAR is far more acclaimed for their live shows than any other aspect of their careers makes it seem as though they're deserving of some credit for this, but even acknowledging it as impressive for their rather limited success elsewhere it's not going to be near enough to get them into the top 100 objectively.

As for hip-hop, it's the most successful form of rock over the past 30 years and naturally it demands a place on the list. The fact that for so long it was much more of a record-driven, rather than live performance driven, style means there's less representation than the overall popularity would seem to suggest, but for each specific style of music there are different measures of live success and impact.

For example, a stadium rocker used to pyrotechnics and light shows and huge amps would bomb if they had to tour the early 60's chitlin circuit, whereas an otherwise nonessential minor artist like Lotsa Poppa would slay them there. But put them both on the stage at an an outdoor stadium and poor Lotsa Poppa would be absolutely dwarfed, even at 400 pounds, because what he did wouldn't hold a candle to the light shows of Pink Floyd or the loud bombast of Aerosmith or Van Halen. So they're all being judged relative to their particular approach. N.W.A. in their day had the most tense and edgy shows ever seen, the electricty there was like nothing you could possibly imagine other than maybe a huge heavyweight boxing match (when boxing mattered). Kanye West brought the energy and the crowds to rap concerts in the mainstream that it had been lacking for so long to the point where those tours are no longer being relegated to the fringes. As for Maiden, they're incredibly consistent, that's what got them there, but we're talking two different beasts with totally different characteristics in what they do and yet somehow both of those have to be fairly credited.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm 

Echoes wrote:
I think is a great list. My only suggestions are to move Hendrix and Nirvana way up and to add The White Stripes.

Why? Reasons, Echos, reasons!

Hendrix is at 18, already in rarified air. By definition there is no "way up" for him to move.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:03 pm 

But doesn't longevity and consistency factor in here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next