DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 117  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rank The Hall Of Famers
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
1 The Doors
2 Carl Perkins
3 Paul Simon
4 Cream
5 Pink Floyd
6 The Drifters
7 The Byrds
8 The Kinks
9 Jerry Lee Lewis
10 Bruce Springsteen

Nice of you to put one token black artist on your list. I guess you buy into the stance that says that rock and roll is mainly "White Guys With Guitars." Otherwise why would the Byrds and the Kinks, for instance, rank ahead of Sam and Dave, The Impressions, The Isley Brothers, Wilson Pickett, the Four Tops and Sly and the Family Stone?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 pm 

Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
1 The Doors
2 Carl Perkins
3 Paul Simon
4 Cream
5 Pink Floyd
6 The Drifters
7 The Byrds
8 The Kinks
9 Jerry Lee Lewis
10 Bruce Springsteen

Nice of you to put one token black artist on your list. I guess you buy into the stance that says that rock and roll is mainly "White Guys With Guitars." Otherwise why would the Byrds and the Kinks, for instance, rank ahead of Sam and Dave, The Impressions, The Isley Brothers, Wilson Pickett, the Four Tops and Sly and the Family Stone?

Maybe some people consider the influence on Punk Rock music or FolkRock to be more importante than the influence on Rap/Hip-Hop or Soul.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:32 pm 

1. Madonna
2. Queen
3. U2
4. Bruce Springsteen
5. Elton John
6. Run DMC
7. Pink Floyd
8. Prince
9. Supremes
10. Bob Marley

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:36 pm 

Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
5 Pink Floyd

Do you see "Comfortably Numb" as being rock and roll?

What makes that rock and roll, but "Saturday Night Fish Fry" not rock and roll.

---------------
There was no such thing as rock and roll when "Saturday Night Fish Fry" was recorded. That's how I see it and I don't actually care how anybody else sees it. There were songs that referred to rocking and rolling as far back as the 1920s, but that didn't make them rock & roll songs, any more than "Singing The Blues" by Guy Mitchell is blues.

"Comfortably Numb" is, I don't know, opera rock or something, whatever the epitome of rock became in the 70s, that was it. The child was grown, the dream was gone. It was you who told me that some people consider that the greatest guitar break ever.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
5 Pink Floyd

---------------
There was no such thing as rock and roll when "Saturday Night Fish Fry" was recorded.

Sure there was. It just hadn't been given its name yet. "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Wynonie Harris is rock and roll, and it's a year earlier than "Fish Fry."

dianeemuller wrote:
"Comfortably Numb" is, I don't know, opera rock or something, whatever the epitome of rock became in the 70s, that was it. The child was grown, the dream was gone. It was you who told me that some people consider that the greatest guitar break ever.

It wasn't me who told you that. I've never heard that until just now, and I've never heard that song long enough (before shutting it off) to even know that it had a guitar break.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 pm 

Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
1 The Doors
2 Carl Perkins
3 Paul Simon
4 Cream
5 Pink Floyd
6 The Drifters
7 The Byrds
8 The Kinks
9 Jerry Lee Lewis
10 Bruce Springsteen

Okay, one more time. If this was about *Diane's favorite artists* it would look completely different. And yes, I do buy into the stance that rock & roll is "mainly white guys with guitars." Because that's what it mainly *is*. And that's why it's not my favorite genre of music. It comes in 4th after blues, R&B, and soul.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 pm 

Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:

It wasn't me who told you that. I've never heard that until just now, and I've never heard that song long enough (before shutting it off) to even know that it had a guitar break.

Yeah, you did tell me that, I think you actually got it from one of the lists or one of the forums on this site. You heard a pretty good chunk of the song during that Sopranos episode where Christopher gets killed.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:01 pm 

Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
5 Pink Floyd

---------------
There was no such thing as rock and roll when "Saturday Night Fish Fry" was recorded.

Sure there was. It just hadn't been given its name yet. "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Wynonie Harris is rock and roll, and it's a year earlier than "Fish Fry."

I don't think "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Wynonie Harris is rock & roll. You're like the Mormons baptizing dead people here! If it wasn't rock & roll in 1948 or whenever then you can't retroactively go back and baptize it rock & roll.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:
1 The Doors
2 Carl Perkins
3 Paul Simon
4 Cream
5 Pink Floyd
6 The Drifters
7 The Byrds
8 The Kinks
9 Jerry Lee Lewis
10 Bruce Springsteen

Okay, one more time. If this was about *Diane's favorite artists* it would look completely different. And yes, I do buy into the stance that rock & roll is "mainly white guys with guitars." Because that's what it mainly *is*. And that's why it's not my favorite genre of music. It comes in 4th after blues, R&B, and soul.

Rock and roll is R&B. It was a new name given to R&B in the early 50s to make it seem less black.

Soul is a subgenre of R&B aka rock and roll.

So far you have voted for the following R&B/soul artists during this project:

James Brown
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson
Temptations

I don't think they qualify as white guys with guitars. So you clearly think that rock and roll encompasses more than that.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
I don't think "Good Rockin' Tonight" by Wynonie Harris is rock & roll. You're like the Mormons baptizing dead people here! If it wasn't rock & roll in 1948 or whenever then you can't retroactively go back and baptize it rock & roll.

Just because it didn't have a name doesn't mean it wasn't there.

AIDS was around before it was called AIDS.

Rockabilly existed before it got its name.

Hip Hop existed before it was called Hip Hop.

Rock and roll started in the late 40s. By 1951 or so it started to be called that in some circles.

"The greatest rock 'n' roll performers in the world" - Floyd Warner Associates, in a 1951 press release on The Dominoes featuring Clyde McPhatter.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:16 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
You heard a pretty good chunk of the song during that Sopranos episode where Christopher gets killed.

Could be, but if I did was not aware of what song it was at the time until I heard the title mentioned in the lyrics.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:28 pm 

Bruce wrote:
So far you have voted for the following R&B/soul artists during this project:

James Brown
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.
Sam Cooke
Michael Jackson
Temptations

I don't think they qualify as white guys with guitars. So you clearly think that rock and roll encompasses more than that.

Do you understand the word "mainly?" You must, because it was originally your word--"*mainly* white guys with guitars." Not *only*, *mainly*.
James Brown didn't actually record any rock & roll after 1962, that I remember. Maybe not after 1960.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:32 pm 

dianeemuller wrote:
Bruce wrote:
dianeemuller wrote:

Yeah, you did tell me that, I think you actually got it from one of the lists or one of the forums on this site. You heard a pretty good chunk of the song during that Sopranos episode where Christopher gets killed.

Here's where you got it from:
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitarsolo.html

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:04 am 
Site Admin

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Prince
3. U2
4. Madonna
5. Elton John
6. Supremes
7. Run-DMC
8. Pink Floyd
9. Bill Haley and His Comets
10. The Drifters

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:28 am 

dianeemuller wrote:
James Brown didn't actually record any rock & roll after 1962, that I remember. Maybe not after 1960.

Sure he did. Funk is a subgenre of R&B aka rock and roll, as well as soul is.

"Out Of Sight" is certainly rock and roll. It certainly sounds more like the rock and roll of 1955 than shit like "Comfortably Numb."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 117  Next