It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:45 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 628
Robert Plant Turned Down $800 Million For Led Zeppelin Reunion

In a story in the Daily News that will only add to the legend of Led Zeppelin, the band's lead singer Robert Plant reportedly turned down the chance for the surviving members to bank a staggering $800 million for a reunion tour.
The Daily Mirror reported that Virgin boss Richard Branson, a life-long Zeppelin fan, proposed a contract of a 35 date three city tour that would have made Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones just over $300 million each before tax. Drummer John Bonham, whose death in 1980 effectively ended Led Zeppelin, would also have been represented through his son Jason, who would have been paid a wage to perform.
Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music, and The Mirror's source says Page, Jones and Jason Bonham all eagerly signed up.
However, the implacable Plant wasn't so keen and reportedly tore up the contract in front of shocked promoters as he felt it was the right thing to do.
“Jimmy, John and Jason signed up immediately," said the Mirror's source adding, "it was a no-brainer for them but Robert asked for 48 hours to think about it. When he said no and ripped up the paperwork he had been given, there was an enormous sense of shock. There is no way they can go ahead without him.”
Plant's refusal was absolute and there is no going back said the report. “They have tried to talk him round but there is no chance... His mind is made up and thats that,” said the source.
The failure to agree to the mega-tour scuppered Branson's grandiose plans that included rebranding one of his Virgin jets as "The Starship" to fly the band to venues in London, Berlin and New Jersey. Branson also offered the band an option to do 45 more gigs in five venues.
“Branson tried to pull out all of the stops. But even his money was not enough to get Plant to sign up. He is gutted,” said the source.
Since their split in 1980, the surviving members of Led Zeppelin have only performed together a briefly four times, the last occasion being a one night only gig at Londons O2 on Dec. 10, 2007 to celebrate the life of record executive Ahmert Ertegun.


Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7815
Location: New Jersey
Rick wrote:
Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music,


Abba turned down over a billion to do a tour years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music,


Abba turned down over a billion to do a tour years ago.


I suspect both figures are grossly exaggerated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7815
Location: New Jersey
ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music,


Abba turned down over a billion to do a tour years ago.


I suspect both figures are grossly exaggerated.


Why?

http://www.mtv.com/news/1424667/abba-ni ... o-reunite/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
Bruce wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Rick wrote:
Needless to say, the prospective tour would have been the most lucrative for any artist or act in the history of live music,


Abba turned down over a billion to do a tour years ago.


I suspect both figures are grossly exaggerated.


Why?


Economics. 800 million for 35 shows? That's about 22.9 million profit per show. Gross would have to be even higher. That's absurd. What are they going to charge? 500 bucks a ticket?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
No, Robert Plant Didn’t Rip Up an $800 Million Contract


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 628
Had to be something very juicy in it for Virgin boss Richard Branson. He could have just paid them to play at his birthday for outrageous bucks if it was just hearing his 'favorite' band again.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7815
Location: New Jersey
ClashWho wrote:
Economics. 800 million for 35 shows? That's about 22.9 million profit per show. Gross would have to be even higher. That's absurd. What are they going to charge? 500 bucks a ticket?


If there's only one show in each major city around the world I think they could certainly average $500 per ticket. There's lots of real big venues too, stadiums and stuff where they seat 70 or 80 thousand. Then there's pay per view and DVD's that will come from the tour.

The Zep story may be phony, but the Abba thing was for 100 shows.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
Bruce wrote:
If there's only one show in each major city around the world I think they could certainly average $500 per ticket.


The story cited said the shows would be in London, Berlin and New Jersey. I suspect the latter would be Giants Stadium, which seats about 60,000 for concerts.

Bruce wrote:
The Zep story may be phony, but the Abba thing was for 100 shows.


I think that's phony, too. Who supposedly made the offer?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7815
Location: New Jersey
ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
If there's only one show in each major city around the world I think they could certainly average $500 per ticket.


The story cited said the shows would be in London, Berlin and New Jersey. I suspect the latter would be Giants Stadium, which seats about 60,000 for concerts.

Bruce wrote:
The Zep story may be phony, but the Abba thing was for 100 shows.


I think that's phony, too. Who supposedly made the offer?


The staggering offer came from an American-British consortium that reportedly wanted the group to reunite for 100 concerts and cash in on a recent revival of several of their hits.

http://www.eonline.com/news/39358/abba- ... -rejection

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... union.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
So vague. Probably never happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:03 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:21 pm
Posts: 628
Well hell, for the sake of contrast, I heard that the Byrds once played for $500 and a bar tab and this was after they became known.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:45 pm
Posts: 30019
Rick wrote:
Well hell, for the sake of contrast, I heard that the Byrds once played for $500 and a bar tab and this was after they became known.


That's easier to believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 pm
Posts: 3762
Bruce wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Economics. 800 million for 35 shows? That's about 22.9 million profit per show. Gross would have to be even higher. That's absurd. What are they going to charge? 500 bucks a ticket?


If there's only one show in each major city around the world I think they could certainly average $500 per ticket. There's lots of real big venues too, stadiums and stuff where they seat 70 or 80 thousand. Then there's pay per view and DVD's that will come from the tour.

The Zep story may be phony, but the Abba thing was for 100 shows.

Lol, why would anyone pay $500 to go to a fucking Abba concert?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rock 'n' Roll News
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7815
Location: New Jersey
chicken sandwich wrote:
Lol, why would anyone pay $500 to go to a fucking Abba concert?


People were paying pretty good money just to see a phony ABBA group on Broadway in Mamma Mia.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page