DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: About 100 Greatest International Rock Artists
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm 

pauldrach wrote:
piper wrote:
semi-related, my Top 100 Greatest Non-English British Rock bands list now up:
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/b ... itish.html

Yeah, I saw that. That's what reminded of that other list I still had to do. Just out of curiosity: How many things did you actually change in comparison to the original? I remember that you moved up Belle and Sebastian which made a hell of a lot sense. I also see a couple of artists in the lower reaches that I've never heard of.

There's a couple tweaks here and there from the original list on the old forum. Nothing too significant.

The Honorable Mentions section is a creation from dating from this new forum. It includes alot of newer (mostly indie rock) artists with significant critical acclaim, but haven't been around long enough to warrant a higher placement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 pm 

Anyway you did a good job with it, and I like that these artists got an own list to represent them. I'm really curious whether I'll finally get mine up this time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm 

The Who are international stars. They should be here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:15 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
The Who are international stars. They should be here.

Quote:
Definition: - Any artist was eligible, that performed in a rock music style and was born or formed outside the USA and UK.

Jeez, Clash--did you really think that someone thought that The Who--not to mention The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, etc. etc.--weren't international stars?

EDITED TO ADD: Nevermind, you're just trolling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:11 pm 

Colin Quinn's twitter account is a bad influence on me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:43 pm 

I can´t believe that you included Enrique Iglesias (who is in not way rock) but excluded all the Latin rock artists I suggested.

I think DDD is a community and all lists should "speak" to each other, so just please take into consideration DDD´s list of Greatest Latin Rock Artists:

Link: http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists-latin.html

At least the top 15 should be included on your list given that they have enough international credentials.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 am 

Well, you definitely have a point and the criteria should probably be altered to make the intention of this list clearer. The problem (as with almost all lists on DDD, the Latin Rock lists being one and maybe the only exception) is that the list only takes into account the artists' credentials in the US and to a lesser degree the UK. All artists on the list achieved popularity, influence or at least a cult status in the UK or the US. The artists on the Latin Rock list didn't, or at least didn't to a degree that would warrant a placement on this list. I might ask lew to change the phrase "from an international point of view" to "from an American and British point of view" to clarify that.

Obviously it would be great if the lists on the site could reflect the global greatness of the artists, albums and songs, but this would be a goal that seems impossible to achieve, so I'd rather leave list itself the way it is. Otherwise I would also have to include artists that are popular throughout Asia, throughout continental Europe, throughout Africa, etc. and I don't have any figures for those regions. To find them would be a shitload of work, and take much more time than I have on my hands.

And concerning Iglesias: As it says in the definition for the list (and in this case rightfully so) I used a very broad interpretation of the term "rock music". I decided that Iglesias has enough rock influence to make the list although he's definitely one of the borderline cases (maybe the most questionable of them all).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 pm 

Oh I see, yeah, I think it would be a lot better if you change the name of the list.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:28 am 

I'm not all too happy about the name either and if you can come up with a better one please post it here ("Greatest Rock Artists from Outside the US and UK" is a little long I guess).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm 

What a great list!
Just think Bee Gees may be in top 5.

Anyway, my congratulations to the editor list :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:36 pm 

pauldrach: At this point, where do you think Gotye would fit on this list?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:05 am 

Bruno wrote:
What a great list!

Thanks! Glad to see someone is actually looking at this list and even enjoying it.

Concerning the Bee Gees: I think they might at least take The Band, probably beating them in popularity and influence. Not sure about the Top 5 though. Brian has lowered The Band's position on the greatest rock artists list significantly but the Bee Gees are still below Mitchell (albeit ahead of AC/DC). As I see it the Bee Gees beat Mitchell in popularity but not in the other criteria two while AC/DC take popularity and maybe acclaim. I will move the Bee Gees to #6 though.

piper wrote:
pauldrach: At this point, where do you think Gotye would fit on this list?

Maybe somewhere in the 130-150 range. STIUtK is an absolute monster hit and Gotye has more acclaim than say Europe or Justin Bieber (who still both beat him in popularity). He will definitely be added in the next revision (if I ever make one).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:07 am 

I will also change the criteria so that they reflect the list's US/UK based perspective on the criteria.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 am 

pauldrach wrote:
Bruno wrote:
What a great list!

Thanks! Glad to see someone is actually looking at this list and even enjoying it.

Concerning the Bee Gees: I think they might at least take The Band, probably beating them in popularity and influence. Not sure about the Top 5 though. Brian has lowered The Band's position on the greatest rock artists list significantly but the Bee Gees are still below Mitchell (albeit ahead of AC/DC). As I see it the Bee Gees beat Mitchell in popularity but not in the other criteria two while AC/DC take popularity and maybe acclaim. I will move the Bee Gees to #6 though.

Good move! Mitchell x Bee Gees is a great discussion. I see both really close ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:59 am 

Bruno wrote:
Mitchell x Bee Gees is a great discussion. I see both really close ...

Yes, I agree. The Bee Gees' win in popularity is a substantial one. Definitely bigger than Mitchell's in influence and even acclaim.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next