DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Live Rock Artists
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
I think the Who's status as a live band is a bit overrated, maybe I haven't seen them enough live, but there are other artists that
are great and doesn't have this status, funkadelic for example, I think there live shows add more to the music then the who's shows do, again only my opinion...

I'm not all that familiar with P/F's live stuff, so you could be right. What live Who have you seen?

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
But they deserve to be in top 3 as you said,

I'm glad we agree on that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:33 am 

I've seen quite a lot of video's and saw them realy live at rock werchter in Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 am 

I've probably got that concert on DVD. I'll check it out and tell you how representative of their live prowess it is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 am 

I'm quite sure that shows with moon were more interesting and of course the ox , I didn't see the original "who" who became famous for their live acts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:15 am 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
I think the Who's status as a live band is a bit overrated, maybe I haven't seen them enough live, but there are other artists that
are great and doesn't have this status, funkadelic for example, I think there live shows add more to the music then the who's shows do, again only my opinion...

if you think the who overrated, why would they still deserve top 3 as far as you're concerned ? i know you mentioned you havent seen enough, just seems a little contradictory. sorry just asking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 pm 

John G wrote:
Johny_The_Fox wrote:

if you think the who overrated, why would they still deserve top 3 as far as you're concerned ? i know you mentioned you havent seen enough, just seems a little contradictory. sorry just asking.

just the fact that they are considered so much much better than the other bands, people often speak of them as there are no bands in their league.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:21 am 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
John G wrote:
Johny_The_Fox wrote:

just the fact that they are considered so much much better than the other bands, people often speak of them as there are no bands in their league.

i know things can get a bit blown out of proportion, of course there are quite a few in "the league" it can be subjective, for instance if you dont particularly like the who or Springsteen or james brown's music for example, you're probably not going to like their show as much as hardcore fans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 am 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:23 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKh2TBDu ... ure=fvwrel

reminds me of this

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

Yeah. We need bands like that for The Who to tower over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 am 

Johny_The_Fox wrote:
are great and doesn't have this status

Not in any way, shape, form, or structure is The Who overrated as a live band.
They are among the very ELITE of live rock artists.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:01 am 

Yeah, they should be #1 on this list, as they were for many years.

Sampson wrote:
The combination of the gospel-derived harmonies of the Flames and the intense leads of Brown made the group the undisputed leaders of the soul movement and the most explosive act in all of rock.

Yeah, I don't think so:

I mean, come on, who are we kidding?

Sampson always mentions James Brown blowing away The Rolling Stones at the T.A.M.I show in 1964 as evidence for Brown's #1 rating. The Who so overwhelmingly outperformed The Rolling Stones in 1968 that it caused The Rolling Stones to cancel their own television special. And The Rolling Stones were a much more potent live act in 1968 than they were in 1964.

That's the greatest live rock act ever.

And they're still stealing the show from the biggest names in rock over thirty years later:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band? Elvis Presley? James Brown? Fine choices for four, three and two. The Who are the definitive #1 live act in rock history.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:59 am 

I think Brown just barely edges them out for #1, but it's ridiculously close either way.
We all know I'm the biggest Elvis fan on here, but he didn't have the consistency as a live artist to compete with The Who (though he does get massive credit for his "controversial" shows of the 50's, and he was absolutely explosive in the late 60's/early 70's).

And don't sell Springsteen short. Guy was a BEAST live, doing marathon 4-hour performances like they were nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:02 pm 

Springsteen has doing his thing for so long, and has become such an icon, that people sometimes take for granted how amazing a performer he is. Watch this concert and tell me it isn't one of the most incredible things ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD6ahb9-0NI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G_eHuuY ... 6ahb9-0NI&

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 pm 

I want to make my case for Green Day entering the list. When I saw them more than 1.5 years ago it was definitely the most energetic concert I had ever seen. And it still is. How the whole stadium was following and it was awesome and I've never seen another band do that again. They give everything they've got in each and every song in their setlist.

You may like them or not ... but they rock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 73  Next