DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Live Rock Artists
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:17 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
His stuff with the Soul Stirrers was incredible for the time, I can totally understand the nickname 'The Man Who Invented Soul' now...

Could you refer me to some of that? All I have from that time period is some live album.

Sorry I just now seen this.
Check this out for starters...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXt-I2bIdZE

Considering this is from the early 50's, incredible.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:56 pm 

I've heard this; great stuff. I was wondering if you maybe knew of an album with Sam and the Stirrers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:59 pm 

I dont really know, havent heard much of it.
Jesus Gave Me Water was featured on one of his compilations, but beyond that I dont know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:21 pm 

Yup, I've got Portrait of a Legend or something for a compilatation. That has JGMW. And a live album featuring the Soul Stirrers, which is where I'd heard the song from that link.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:55 pm 

Brian wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Brian wrote:
Cooke didn't invent soul. His music with the Soul Stirrers was gospel, not soul.

What is soul? Is it gospel-influenced vocals combined with the rhythms and instrumentation of R&B?

It is, but another thing distinguishes gospel from soul is that soul has secular lyrics, or semi-secular lyrics. Some soul songs take religious phrases and alter them in a secular way.

So is it because the Soul Stirrers' lyrics are spiritual that their music isn't considered soul?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:59 pm 

Brian wrote:
Maybe the reason why that isn't part of the criteria is, wouldn't a varied playlist only matter if the artist plays in the same city more than one night in a row? Most artists don't play in the same city for more than one night in a row, so this would seem to be not applicable for most artists.

Was Petty the opening act when you saw him? I'd think a headliner playing in the same town 2 nights in a row would have more reason to vary his playlist than the opening act, because more people would come to see a headliner 2 nights in a row than to see the opening act.

Petty was the headliner, PJ joined him to open for 3 different cities...all of which they played 2 nites in a row...As far as I know, alot of the bigger bands on this list play the same city in a row often...especially the bigger cities...Led Zep's famous show's at MSG in '72 as well as LA/LongBeach in '72.

Why only should it matter if its the same city? I would have guessed lots of people on here would go see bands multiple nights in a row, but i guess I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

ClashWho wrote:
Brian wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Brian wrote:
Cooke didn't invent soul. His music with the Soul Stirrers was gospel, not soul.

What is soul? Is it gospel-influenced vocals combined with the rhythms and instrumentation of R&B?

It is, but another thing distinguishes gospel from soul is that soul has secular lyrics, or semi-secular lyrics. Some soul songs take religious phrases and alter them in a secular way.

So is it because the Soul Stirrers' lyrics are spiritual that their music isn't considered soul?

Yes. The sound might also be a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Iceberg23 wrote:
Brian wrote:
Maybe the reason why that isn't part of the criteria is, wouldn't a varied playlist only matter if the artist plays in the same city more than one night in a row? Most artists don't play in the same city for more than one night in a row, so this would seem to be not applicable for most artists.

Was Petty the opening act when you saw him? I'd think a headliner playing in the same town 2 nights in a row would have more reason to vary his playlist than the opening act, because more people would come to see a headliner 2 nights in a row than to see the opening act.

Petty was the headliner, PJ joined him to open for 3 different cities...all of which they played 2 nites in a row...As far as I know, alot of the bigger bands on this list play the same city in a row often...especially the bigger cities...Led Zep's famous show's at MSG in '72 as well as LA/LongBeach in '72.

Why only should it matter if its the same city? I would have guessed lots of people on here would go see bands multiple nights in a row, but i guess I could be wrong.

"A lot of the bigger bands" would be a minority of the list.

I'm not sure, but I'd think that if an artist played, say, Chicago one night and Cincinnati the next night, there would be very few people who would attend both shows, unless it's the Grateful Dead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:06 am 

...and Pearl Jam, of course. You have no idea what these guys are about do you? Eddie makes remarks all the time during concerts about seeing multiple people up to 10-15 shows in a row.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

OK, The Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam. And maybe a few others. But would you agree that most of the artists on the list have few fans that watch them night after night after night, travelling hundreds of miles?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 pm 

I hate to sound like someone's cranky dad, but Madonna over Rush?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:16 pm 

Yeah I'm with you there, Rush is a pretty huge live act.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:22 am 

Brian wrote:
OK, The Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam. And maybe a few others. But would you agree that most of the artists on the list have few fans that watch them night after night after night, travelling hundreds of miles?

Phish for sure. Almost any "jam band" would fall into that category of fans traveling often to see their shows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

"Jam bands" make up a tiny percentage of rock artists.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 am 

Still doesn't change the fact that they were one of the first bands to play extended versions of their music that were nothing like what they were in the studio to make a completely unique live experience.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1081 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 73  Next