It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:31 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 680
You don't need to be an active member of the forum here to be an editor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14169
Then why even bother? Doesn't make sense to me.
And who's supposed to make updates to the list if Sampson's not around?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4559
Negative Creep wrote:
Then why even bother? Doesn't make sense to me.
And who's supposed to make updates to the list if Sampson's not around?


Just because he's not in the forum doesn't mean that he's not updating the list. It just means that he's not necessarily considering the input of people in the forum.

There are certainly ways to let an editor know if there's an issue with a list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14169
It's so much better when Sampson IS here though. Just look at all the quality discussions that take place when he's around.

Side note:
In the early days of ddd, he was teaching me, but I actually turned HIM on to some great stuff that he hadn't heard before, and I will never forget the feeling of pride that came over me when he was blown away by the links I showed him!

Best poster ever. :godbless:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4559
It *is* kind of problematic that he's still listed as a moderator of this forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:35 pm
Posts: 1426
Negative Creep wrote:
It's so much better when Sampson IS here though. Just look at all the quality discussions that take place when he's around.

Side note:
In the early days of ddd, he was teaching me, but I actually turned HIM on to some great stuff that he hadn't heard before, and I will never forget the feeling of pride that came over me when he was blown away by the links I showed him!

Best poster ever. :godbless:


Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14169
Speak of the devil!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14169
Now, Sampson,
I'm gonna have to say that I disagree with The Everly Brothers above Bill Haley.
Influence goes to Haley all the way I think, being one of the major wellsprings of rock, being one of the VERY first rockabilly artists to have any real success, etc. He not only has significant influence on various rock artists, but his influence on the direction of popular music at his time was just enormous, imo.
Now, cultural impact, I think is a clear win for Bill as well. Neither one of them score huge here, but at least Bill was in a movie and I believe his concerts were notorious for rebellious crowds and riots. That's not A LOT of cultural imapct but I don't see any at all from the Everly's.

As for commercial impact, I dont really know offhand.
Musical impact would be Haley I'd think....if it still means 'esteem within the rock world'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 4559
Negative Creep wrote:

As for commercial impact, I dont really know offhand.
Musical impact would be Haley I'd think....if it still means 'esteem within the rock world'.


Commerical success is a clear win for the Everlies. Haley had 4 top ten hits; the Everlies had 3 NUMBER ONE hits and a total of 8 top tens released in the 50s. And, yes, I think the Everlys take musical impact too, at least by that definition. (If you defined musical impact as, well, musical impact, you could argue that the breakthrough of "Rock Around The Clock" had a bigger impact than anything the Everlies did, but that's not relevant to the definition we use here.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:20 am 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:04 pm
Posts: 680
Negative Creep wrote:
Speak of the devil!


Now I think you can be happy. Looks like Sampson made a comeback.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7823
Location: New Jersey
ClashWho wrote:
I'm sure Bruce will take that as a monstrous insult.


That's right, I forgot more than Sampson knows about 50s music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7823
Location: New Jersey
Sampson wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
It's so much better when Sampson IS here though. Just look at all the quality discussions that take place when he's around.

Side note:
In the early days of ddd, he was teaching me, but I actually turned HIM on to some great stuff that he hadn't heard before, and I will never forget the feeling of pride that came over me when he was blown away by the links I showed him!

Best poster ever. :godbless:


Thank you.


You kissed his ass just enough to smoke him out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7823
Location: New Jersey
Negative Creep wrote:
Now, Sampson,
I'm gonna have to say that I disagree with The Everly Brothers above Bill Haley.
Influence goes to Haley all the way I think,


The Everlys over Haley is one that Sampson got right.

Influence goes easily to the Everly Brothers, it's not even close. Haley influenced a few mid-50s acts like Boyd Bennett and the Rockets and Jimmy Cavello, but he had little to no influence on any acts after the 50s. The Everlys were a huge influence on many 60s acts, including many of the biggest ones (Beatles, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 pm
Posts: 797
Hey Sampson...Good to see you hanging around here. I happened on this thread by accident and noticed your name. Thanks for sharing all that knowledge in the past, especially on all that R&R HOF stuff. So far as the artists and genres I'm REAL familiar with, most of your opinions and analysis is spot on.

Bruce (for the record), also has a terrific passion and knowledge for music, especially from the early days of R&R.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists of the 1950's
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7823
Location: New Jersey
Brett Alan wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:

As for commercial impact, I dont really know offhand.
Musical impact would be Haley I'd think....if it still means 'esteem within the rock world'.


Commerical success is a clear win for the Everlies. Haley had 4 top ten hits; the Everlies had 3 NUMBER ONE hits and a total of 8 top tens released in the 50s.


Actually, Whitburn ranks Haley at #10 for the 50s and the Everlys at #11 for the 50s. The Everlys only had 13 or 14 chart hits in the 50s, and yes, they had 8 top tens RELEASED in the 50s, but that's deceptive as the 8th one (Let It Be Me) did not enter the charts until 1960.

Haley had 25 or 26 chart hits in the 50s. Haley also had two chart albums in the 50s, the Everlys had one. Sampson is not big on counting non USA charts, but Haley was much bigger than the Everlys in the UK in the 50s. He had 20 chart hits in the UK in the 50s, including 9 top ten hits, although "Rock Around The Clock" reentered the charts a few times to pad those totals some. The Everlys had ten chart hits in the UK in the 50s, with six of them top ten.

Commercial impact in the 50s would have to be a slight edge to Haley, mainly because the Everlys were only making hits for 2 1/2 years during the decade.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page