It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists Of The 1960's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 pm 

... some Steve Howe from 1964 with the Syndicats .... Take care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0a3w88N ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9iMs0o ... re=related

... and the Syndicats with Ray Fenwick on guitar 1965 and the freakbeat heavy guitar classic Crawdday Simone ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpddVVqZ ... re=related

... the grandfathers of Indorock from 1960 ... the Tielman Brothers ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WeXrTzx ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTomaR8r ... re=related

... and Eddie Philips the violin bow wielding feedback driven guitarist with a tune from 1964 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaSYD5svqxM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:46 am 

I see people like Tyrone Davis added, but yeah, I'm also curious to where the Intruders are. They were influential and have several classics to boot...not to mention they are favorites in soul circles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:53 am 

J.B. Trance wrote:
Sheesh, I guess Sampson "disappeared" again.

I see people like Tyrone Davis added, but yeah, I'm also curious to where the Intruders are. They were influential and have several classics to boot...not to mention they are favorites in soul circles.

I have the Intruders # 100 on the"Greatest Vocal Groups" list. I did not list the Delfonics. They are not real well respected as a vocal group. Only three guys and not much more than that's real good aside from the lead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 pm 

Bruce wrote:
I have the Intruders # 100 on the"Greatest Vocal Groups" list. I did not list the Delfonics. They are not real well respected as a vocal group. Only three guys and not much more than that's real good aside from the lead.

Do you have a set of criteria to determine your lists, or are they just based on your personal preference?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:07 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:

Do you have a set of criteria to determine your lists, or are they just based on your personal preference?

None of my DDD lists are done by personal preference. Each list has a criteria that explains what I am attempting to do. They are all supposed to be an objective ranking of whatever the list is.

In the case of the vocal groups list, if you know anything about that style of music it is clear that the Mills Brothers belong at the top.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:44 pm 

Bruce wrote:
In the case of the vocal groups list, if you know anything about that style of music it is clear that the Mills Brothers belong at the top.

I'm not contesting that, I'm just surprised that the Delfonics don't merit a spot in the 100 Greatest Vocal Groups.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I'm not contesting that, I'm just surprised that the Delfonics don't merit a spot in the 100 Greatest Vocal Groups.

Only three members and they are not well respected by other vocal groups as other than the lead they had no exceptional singers. They did not even have a bass singer by the time they started recording. The list is about the greatest "vocal groups" with the accent on the vocal abilities of the members across the board, as opposed to about the greatest "artists" that happened to be vocal groups.

I had three different vocal group experts advise me on the list and two of them insisted that the Delfonics did not belong on the list, the third guy was neutrel about it. Supposedly their harmony is not very strong and they are off key a lot.

And the group did not have much influence, their producer (Thom Bell) and his production style was the influence.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm 

Bruce wrote:
The list is about the greatest "vocal groups" with the accent on the vocal abilities of the members across the board, as opposed to about the greatest "artists" that happened to be vocal groups.

Ah, okay, that explains it.

Bruce wrote:
And the group did not have much influence, their producer (Thom Bell) and his production style was the influence.

But if the Delfonics were the primary vehicle for Thom Bell's influential production techniques, then I'd say that ought to be credited to the Delfonics. Otherwise, that would be a potent argument against the influence of many a Motown act. And maybe it is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
The list is about the greatest "vocal groups" with the accent on the vocal abilities of the members across the board, as opposed to about the greatest "artists" that happened to be vocal groups.

Ah, okay, that explains it.

Bruce wrote:

But if the Delfonics were the primary vehicle for Thom Bell's influential production techniques, then I'd say that ought to be credited to the Delfonics. Otherwise, that would be a potent argument against the influence of many a Motown act. And maybe it is.

A - Bell's work with the Stylistics was more significant than his work with the Delfonics.

B - There is a potent argument against the influence of Motown acts and also against acts like the Ronettes and Crystals IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am 

Where are the Grass Roots on this list?

Two classic hit singles and a bunch of other hits too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:21 am 

Quote:
193. Cannibal & The Headhunters

I wouldn't include acts like them in the Top 200 at the expense of other aforementioned ones. True, they had a very influential reading of "...Dances" and were liked by acts such as the Beatles, but this shouldn't make them a Top 200 act of the '60s.

Also, the Maytals and Jimmy Cliff had landmark impact in the reggae world with records from the 1960s.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 pm 

Was reading back in the early pages of this thread, gotta love Dreww and Bruce arguing about the Velvet Underground, classic! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 am 

I was curious about that, so I started checking. I had to get to page 15, which isn't exactly the beginning. However, since you brought it up, I feel like name-dropping another artist that took some inspiration from Velvet Underground--The Rolling Stones. I wish I saved the quote, but Stray Cat Blues off Beggar's Banquet was VU influenced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:34 pm 

pgm wrote:
I feel like name-dropping another artist that took some inspiration from Velvet Underground--The Rolling Stones.

How so?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 pm 

I'll try to find the link. It was bookmarked on my old computer, but it crashed. Either Richards or Jagger said the riff and content to Stray Cat Blues was inspired by Velvet Underground.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 28  Next