DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Artists Of The 1960's
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm 

Bruce wrote:
Most of the world thought that the Velvet Underground was bad when they were together. That's a fact.

No, that's not a fact. That's completely false. Most of the world were utterly ignorant of the very existance of the Velvet Underground.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:40 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
How about the VU's appearance at Summit High School here in NJ in 1965? As soon as they started playing 90% of the audience got up and walked out.

Well, obviously they're a completely shitty band and everyone who likes their music is some kind of troglodyte. In fact, a bunch of artists and rock critics got together in the seventies and started a secret pact to praise an utterly abominable band just to see how many morons they could trick into thinking that shit was good. It's a sad commentary on humanity, really.

Here, here.

And who gives a fuck what rock critics think? None of them know shit about music. They are all journalism majors who can only write about lyrics and points of view, which is why the saps who read them got interested in that stuff in the first place. Most critcis wouldn't know a key or a chord change from their assholes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:42 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Most of the world thought that the Velvet Underground was bad when they were together. That's a fact.

No, that's not a fact. That's completely false. Most of the world were utterly ignorant of the very existance of the Velvet Underground.

Most of the people who heard them when they were together thought they sucked.

Most of the world are ignorant of even the biggest artists. There's like 500 million people in China who never heard of thge Beatles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 pm 

Look Bruce, we know that you don't like The Velvet Underground. We know that most people did not like The Velvet Underground when they came out. We know that there are still a lot of people who don't like The Velvet Underground. But there are large numbers of people who dislike ANY significant artist. There are people who think The Beatles ruined music. There are people who think Elvis Presley ruined music. There are people who think that Miles Davis ruined music on three separate occasions. There are hoards of people who believe as strongly as they believe anything that jazz fusion was the worst thing to happen to music. But that doesn't mean that these and artists aren't important and great. There's no reason for you to constantly reiterate your distaste for The Velvet Underground. We understand that. It is irrelevant to the list. You don't see me talking about how derivative I find this or that artist on the list, do you? I don't do it because it wouldn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
That Sparrows Quartet stuff is good shit.

I'm starting to like you Clasher !!!

See if you like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k5KzgBoIBM

It's probably even on last.fm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:46 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Look Bruce, we know that you don't like The Velvet Underground. We know that most people did not like The Velvet Underground when they came out. We know that there are still a lot of people who don't like The Velvet Underground. But there are large numbers of people who dislike ANY significant artist. There are people who think The Beatles ruined music. There are people who think Elvis Presley ruined music. There are people who think that Miles Davis ruined music on three separate occasions. There are hoards of people who believe as strongly as the love anything that jazz fusion was the worst thing to happen to music. But that doesn't mean that these and artists aren't important and great. There's no reason for you to constantly reiterate your distaste for The Velvet Underground. We understand that. It is irrelevant to the list. You don't see me talking about how derivative I find this or that artist on the list, do you? I don't do it because it wouldn't matter.

You can post what you want and I'll post what I want. It's not like Lew is running out of space here. At least we have some activity in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:47 pm 

Someone PM me when we're talking about things that have to do with the ordering of artists on the list again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Someone PM me when we're talking about things that have to do with the ordering of artists on the list again.

It's not like talking about it does much good. I had to break Simpson's balls for like 5 years just to get Chubby Checker on the list.

How the fuck was he not here?

One of the 3 or 4 biggest artists of the 1960-1963 period and the first rock and roll artist to be massively popular with adults in their 30s and older.

Just because Sumpson didn't personally like his music Chubby got fucked on this list for all those years. Chubby has several killer records, including "Pony Time" and "Dancin' Party."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dreww wrote:
Bruce wrote:
But there's not a lot of VU listeners with vinyl because they did not sell all that many records, and they were never available on vinyl as reissues.

They were reissued in 2008. I don't know where to find the sales for them, but in my experience they are some of the most common LPs I've seen in the collections of people in my demographic.

I believe their 4 original studio albums all were either reissued or already in print in 1985, when VU was released. I'm not certain about White Light/White Heat, but the other 3 were. Loaded was in print in the early '80s, and I think Nico was too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:02 pm 

Are you guys familiar with this?

In 1967 the Beach Boys released one of their classic hits with a song called "Darlin." The melody for that song was written several years earlier and was used on another record with different lyrics. The artist's name was Sharon Marie and the title of the song was "Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby." It was issued on Capitol Records in 1964. The song was written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love and the record was produced and arranged by Brian Wilson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4F3MOdQfAs

Last edited by Bruce on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:04 pm 

Clasher, do you like "Magic Bus" better by the Who or by the artist that did a version before them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:41 pm 

Thinking about the Sparrows Quartet I decided to listen to my favorites of 1974. The playlist goes from # 25 to # 1.

MY TOP 25 RECORDINGS FROM 1974:
1 ¦ Can't Get Enough ¦ Bad Company
2 ¦ The South's Gonna Do It ¦ Charlie Daniels Band
3 ¦ You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet ¦ Bachman Turner Overdrive
4 ¦ Tell Me Something Good ¦ Rufus
5 ¦ Rebel Rebel (LP Version) ¦ David Bowie
6 ¦ We Sing For Fun ¦ Sparrows Quartet
7 ¦ Ms. Grace ¦ Tymes
8 ¦ Fox On The Run ¦ The Sweet
9 ¦ Can't Read, Can't Write Blues ¦ Joe Turner
10 ¦ Sweet Home Alabama ¦ Lynryd Skynyrd
11 ¦ I Can Help ¦ Billy Swan
12 ¦ Sideshow ¦ Blue Magic
13 ¦ Some Kind Of Wonderful ¦ Grand Funk
14 ¦ Boogie On Reggae Woman ¦ Stevie Wonder
15 ¦ Rock Your Baby ¦ George McCrae
16 ¦ Whatever Gets You Through The Night ¦ John Lennon
17 ¦ Waterloo ¦ Abba
18 ¦ It's Better To Have (And Don't Need) ¦ Don Covay
19 ¦ Got To Get You Back ¦ Sons Of Robin Stone
20 ¦ Shame, Shame, Shame ¦ Shirley And Company
21 ¦ Black Water ¦ Doobie Brothers
22 ¦ It's Only Rock 'N Roll ¦ Rolling Stones
23 ¦ You're No Good ¦ Linda Ronstadt
24 ¦ Promised Land ¦ Elvis Presley
25 ¦ Bungle In The Jungle ¦ Jethro Tull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 am 

The year music died. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:05 am 

Bruce wrote:
Clasher, do you like "Magic Bus" better by the Who or by the artist that did a version before them?

What, "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley? I dunno. I love 'em both. Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" and U2's "Desire" are groovy, too.

But the Live at Leeds version of "Magic Bus" kicks the crap out of all of 'em.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:07 am 

Bruce wrote:
Thinking about the Sparrows Quartet I decided to listen to my favorites of 1974. The playlist goes from # 25 to # 1.

I like your #25 about a thousand times more than your #1. It's no "Minstrel in the Gallery", but it's pretty catchy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next